The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Common Is A Cracked Snorkel Barrel?

snorkel barrel crack

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 loudkenny

loudkenny

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:33

I just restored my first Snorkel last night, a black Valiant? with a white dot and a fine open nib.

After putting in a new sac and both seals, I couldn't get the pen to fill very much at all. I eventually found out my original barrel had a

long crack in it near the section.

I replaced the black barrel with a burgundy one, and the pen now works great.

Is barrel cracking common in Snorkels? Can you fix this issue yourself, or is it easier just to get a new barrel?

PS. (Warning - wanton props) Thank you Grandmia for the great Snorkel video... and Brian Anderson's shop for the resac kit :)

Thank you,

ken

Edited by loudkenny, 11 December 2013 - 20:36.

Sponsored Content

#2 josephchow42

josephchow42

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:44

congrats!

phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

#3 Steveg

Steveg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:17

I have a snorkel that was cracked at the top of the barrel when I received it. I successfully repaired the crack, though it does still show.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:47

It's common enough that I check for a cracked barrel when I estimate repair costs on snorkels and touchdowns.  The blind cap end is the more common place to find one because owners often tilt the TD tube off to one side when filling the pen.  It can be solvent welded to repair the crack.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:40

Provided the previous owner hasn't tried to superglue it without success, leaving a mess.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#6 loudkenny

loudkenny

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:29

I was lucky, as the crack was never glued.

The crack is somewhere about 3/8" long and runs down the side of the barrel, starting about 1/4" from the cap thread. You can barely see it on the outside of the barrel. I finally found it by wetting the side of the pen with soapy water and working the pump.

Is it even worth getting the barrel fixed, or should I just get a new one?

ken

#7 Indy_Pen_Dance

Indy_Pen_Dance

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 15:11

Of course these are worth getting fixed, some of my best friends are snorkels. Yours has the crack on the opposite end of where it is most common. If the crack goes through the threads, that is a more tedious repair but is possible.

#8 BigWill

BigWill

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:28

It's common enough that I check for a cracked barrel when I estimate repair costs on snorkels and touchdowns.  The blind cap end is the more common place to find one because owners often tilt the TD tube off to one side when filling the pen.  It can be solvent welded to repair the crack.

What solvent do you use to weld the crack in snorkel barrel? It sounds like super glue is a poor choice.

#9 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 21:42

I have a similar crack in my Valiant, however my pen works fine. I'll be watching for a way to repair it!

#10 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,488 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 15:17

Don't use silicone, and don't use an adhesive.  You're going to look for a solvent that works with styrene.  I don't know if Tenax is still on the market, but it worked, and a similar solvent weld should work just as well.  The initial bond is quite strong, but you need to give it 24 hours or more for the plastic to harden enough for the repaired area to blend properly with the rest of the barrel.  Wait a bit, and the repair can be nearly invisible, if not totally invisible when finished.  Rush it and you can have a mess.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

#11 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 20:20

Hey Ron are you talking about Liquid Polystyrene Cement like this?

http://www.ebay.com/...8259835?lpid=82

#12 qpens

qpens

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:56

I agree with Ron, 100%.  Unfortunately, a cracked barrel is the last thing that I finally discover when having difficulty getting a Snorkel to fill properly...after replacing all of the rubber and cleaning the "working parts" :^ )

I've used Tenax  and my bottle has lasted me for many years...and it is still available. 

http://www.amazon.co...R/dp/B00EMXTBG0

Michael Quitt

www.charmcitypens.com

Michael Quitt
www.charmcitypens.com

#13 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,488 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 23:45

Hey Ron are you talking about Liquid Polystyrene Cement like this?

http://www.ebay.com/...8259835?lpid=82

I normally look for something that contains methylene chloride.  This does not, but it does contain M.E.K.  You'll find the MSDS here.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens

#14 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2014 - 18:09

Hey Ron,

I found a 1946 date code dove grey Parker 51 vacumatic in a parts box.  Looks like all the pieces are there, but I see now why it wasn't repaired...a crack in the barrel at the filler end.  The crack is tight, but runs about 3/8 inch down the barrel.

Is there a solvent that will work to repair this crack?

John H.

#15 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 14:17

Parker 51 is not polystyrene, so the methods for the Snorkel wont work

I'm not sure what the proper solvent is

#16 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,488 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 14:28

Parker 51 is not polystyrene, so the methods for the Snorkel wont work

I'm not sure what the proper solvent is

But the same solvent works for both.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens

#17 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:53

Testors model cement is also slower and thicker than Tenax.  Tenax, if applied carefully, will fill a crack by capillary action and not show.  Getting Testors to flow easily and to not be messy is a challenge.  I use both in my other hobby of model car building, but wouldn't use Testors for a fine job or one that would show.  Ambroid also works very well on polystyrene, is my normal solvent of choice.  

Tim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel, barrel, crack

Sponsored Content

|