The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fountain Pen For Diamine Registrars Ink?

iron gall registrars

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nectarmk

nectarmk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:30

Just discovered the world of iron gall inks and I like it. I need waterproof black (or very dark) ink on occasions and though I have used Noodler's bulletproof and De Atramentis among others, nothing beats iron gall ink for character.

The problem of course is the flow.

I use it with a Lamy Studio pen. The first few pages were brilliant. The following less so. I think this ink needs a very wet pen - and a pen resistant to clogging. Maybe an older pen. Would you have any suggestion for a suitable pen?  (Also not expensive pen as I would not dare using iron gall ink with my Pelikans or Omas!)

Sponsored Content

#2 gmax

gmax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:43

R&K Salix works just fine in my M800, and an OB nib really brings out the shading  :happyberet:

Of course the beauty of the Pelikans is that you can pop out the entire nib unit for thorough cleaning.

#3 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:42

I have used Chesterfield Archival Vault ink, which is supposed to be rebottled Diamine Registrars ink, and R&K Salix successfully in my Parker "15" and it isn't a particularly wet writer. So there is some other characteristic of a pen, perhaps the design of the feed, that determines how well it works with Iron Gall inks.

That said, I am also looking for the correct pen/ink combo for another iron gall I have,  Organics Studio Aristotle. Like you, I'm thinking a wet writer, perhaps one of my ebonite feed eyedroppers. 

Edited by doggonecarl, 10 December 2013 - 15:12.

#4 nectarmk

nectarmk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:08

Of course the beauty of the Pelikans is that you can pop out the entire nib unit for thorough cleaning.

Well spotted! - I need to try one of my cheaper Pelikans and see the result.

I have used Chesterfield Archival Vault ink, which is supposed to be rebottled Diamine Registrars ink, and R&K Salix successfully in my Parker "15" and it isn't a particularly wet writer. So there is some other characteristic of a pen, perhaps the design of the feed, that determines how well it works with Iron Gall inks.

That said, I am also looking for the correct pen/ink combo for another iron gall I have,  Organics Studio Ink Aristotle. Like you, I'm thinking a wet writer, perhaps one of my ebonite feed eyedroppers. 

Maybe a vintage pen might suit better - I only have a vintage Duofold bought on eBay a few years ago - it was in perfect condition, wrote very badly (as it was extremely wet) and only cost a about £20 - I am sure it is a fake! - but no harm trying it with iron gall ink.

#5 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 15:48

Hi,

While I would like to enable acquisition of your next pen, in this case I'll suggest altering the ink by adding a bit of surfactant, such as the archival / benign wetting agents for B&W photo film. e.g. Kodak Photo-Flo, Ilford Ilfotol.

For a proof of concept, you might try a miniscule amount of washing up liquid / detergent for hand washing plates, cutlery, etc.

• An amount such as the head of a pin into 2 - 4ml of 'guinea pig' DRI, then gentle mixing.
  • As the detergent has some ingredients that might not play nice with all the components of your pen, I'd not let it sit for too long. Then again, the Lamy is a modern pen, (w/o shellac, etc.) so should be OK as a test bed.
  • If the ink is too wet, add just a bit of water to lower the %age of surfactant but not so much the ink becomes too pale.
  • As such detergent often leaves a residue (for a streak-free finish on glass) some extra flushes at clean-up time is a good idea.

We have other Topics on such inky modifications, so 'Kodak' or 'Photo' are likely searchwords.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1, 10 December 2013 - 16:34.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#6 nectarmk

nectarmk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:33

Wow - I can be a small scientist in my quest for the perfect ink - this is fascinating!

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 23:36

I have a Parker Vector that is something of a firehose, even though it has an F nib.  Just perfect for dry inks like iron galls.  And being a c/c pen I know that I can do a good job of cleaning it really well if I switch to a non-IG ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 Vendome

Vendome

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 23:48

I recently had to visit the Registrar's in central Manchester. I was given a Parker Frontier to sign documentation with.

That was a cheap Parker, so any pen should be able to cope with Registrar's ink.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

#9 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:01

I have had nonstop flow problems with my Pilot and Galileo Brown. I switched to an iron gall ink (ESS) and it has been problem-free. I would have thought just the opposite would be true.

The bottom line? These things may be hard to predict. I have to judge them on a trial basis. For me, the Pilot + EES seems to be a great marriage.

Jeffery
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#10 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:10

Parker Vectors are well known to work awesome with iron gall inks.  I have several designated Vectors for the various iron gall inks out there.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

#11 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:24

I've had the most success with ESSRI in a Conway Stewart Montague. So, that's where it resides! Salix in a Pelikan M600 and Scabiosa in a CS 58 - last 'new' batch and a cc filler. With flushes every couple of fills, I've had no problems.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#12 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

They disabled my Account, you can find me on FPGeeks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:00

epvz.jpg

(Pelikan 100N - EF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa)

(Noodler´s Ahab EMF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Salix)

(Pelikan 140 - OF ..... Montblanc Midnight Blue (IG))

(Pelikan Signum P5xx - EF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)

(Mabie Todd Swan 4660 Leverless ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)

The Mods disabled my account, so I can't reply here.
If you want to contact (e.g. regarding the EMF Mod) me please do it on FPGeeks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron gall, registrars

Sponsored Content

|