Struggling To Get Nib And Feed Back Into 146

bobbyz0r

So, I'm an idiot...

(Scroll to bottom for the short version)

After a trip to my relatives overseas, I was kindly gifted with two 146s. :D

They were in pretty bad shape though and had a ton of dried ink inside. So, when I came back from my holidays, I gave them a good clean.

Then, after a little reading and videos on YouTube, it was apparent that the nib and feed of the 146 can be removed without any tools as they are friction fit. So, my curious side had me pull out the nib and feed on one of the 146 which came out with a lot less force than I expected.

After I cleaned out the feed, I tried to put it back into the section.

Error #1) I forgot to take note of how the nib and feed were positioned in the section.

So, I just looked at the other 146 and decided that the nib is horizontal with the two slots/holes in the section.

It should be noted that these two pens are definitely from different production years. The pen in question has a six digit serial and is marked W-GERMANY, has "No 146" on the cap band and the ink window is not striped. The other 146 has a 2 letter, 6 number serial, is marked GERMANY, is missing "No 146" and has a striped ink window. The feeds themselves also look different.

At first it felt a little tight, but I'm assuming that is pretty normal, as I've pulled out nibs and feeds on other pens before (albeit much cheaper pens).

The nib and feed did not make it far:

http://i.imgur.com/VveKKPH.jpg

Hmm..

Initially, I tried to force the feed in, but that just seems like a bad idea, so after a couple of tries, I scrapped that plan.

I'm pretty sure the best thing would be to get the nib and feed out and to try again.

Easier said than done.

Using my hands, I think I'm apply way more force than what I should be.

I tried using the grippy, rubbery mats to aid in traction, but that didn't really help. Plus, this was about when I started to notice that I was bending the fins in the feed.

So I tried using the grippy mat with pliers. Doesn't seem very safe...

Even that didn't work (I used the plier to grab onto the tip of the nib to avoid squishing the feed into a million pieces).

I even tried warm water and some Singer Machine Oil to try and lubricate it. That didn't help.

So after a little Googlin', I found that the nib and feed unit could be taken out of the grip section with special tools. Improvising, I just twisted the nib and feed gently, with started to unscrew the unit out of the pen. However, this didn't get me anywhere.

I noticed, and removed, the so-called "Montblanc Gum" which I've heard may be used by MB to check if anyone has been tampering with the pen. :unsure:

http://i.imgur.com/bDsBMTA.jpg

So, I need the help FPN to help me.

So, how do I remove the nib and feed from the pen (without damaging the nib and feed obviously)?

And, if I can't do anything, will Montblanc service be able to help? <-- Not very confident in this as a) I did remove the nib and feed and B) I managed to unscrew the unit holding it in place and got rid of the "Montblanc gum".

tl;dr

Nib and feed stuck in 146. How do I get it out?

My Mediocre Collection

Montblanc 149 F, 146 M, 146 BB, Lamy Safari M, Logo EF, Sheaffer Prelude M, Pilot Prera F, 78G F, Parker IM M, Vector F, Slimfold F, 45 F Monteverde Invincia Color Fusion M, 5x Platinum Preppy F, A bunch of Hero Pens and another 5-10 pens not worth mentioning..

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul80

• bobbyz0r

• ethernautrix

• meiers

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Montblanc changed the feed collar design quite a bit through its years of production so the location holes for the nib collar removal tool could be in different places.

On my 149 they are at 12 & 6 o'clock and on my 146 they are at 8 & 4 o'clock.

The feed is a press fit in the collar and the collar screws out.

How to get the feed out depends on how far its been dismantled.

If you have the collar out then just knock the feed out with a knock out block.

If the collar is not out then remove it first buy unscrewing it and then knock it out.

If you cannot get the collar unscrewed then the only other way is to unscrew the piston housing and knock the feed out through the barrel.

You will need some sort of tool to unscrew the piston housing.

When you have the nib and feed out of the collar have a close look inside the collar, it should be obvious which way the nib goes back as there will be a nib shaped indentation in the plastic collar.

Another option taking into account of the value of these pens is to send them to someone who knows how to do it safely.

Hope this has been of help.

If in doubt, don't break them.

Paul

As per your last picture I assume that's where you are now, if so just knock the feed out with a knock out block, put the nib back on the feed, it should have a positive location point where it is obvious its in the right place. Then offer the nib/feed into the collar and slowly rotate the collar, that way you should easily find the correct position as it will push in easier when you are in the correct position and it should push in without the need for too much pressure.

Paul

OMG!!! Thank you!!

Got it out! I just knocked out the feed. Didn't realise the collar was hollow :lol:

Turns out the holes are 12 & 6 on this particular 146 (ie. couldn't have got it more wrong)

Edited by bobbyz0r

My Mediocre Collection

Montblanc 149 F, 146 M, 146 BB, Lamy Safari M, Logo EF, Sheaffer Prelude M, Pilot Prera F, 78G F, Parker IM M, Vector F, Slimfold F, 45 F Monteverde Invincia Color Fusion M, 5x Platinum Preppy F, A bunch of Hero Pens and another 5-10 pens not worth mentioning..

Cool. You're looking good.

I usually match up the feed and nib position as exactly as possible, before re-inserting. Some fine adjustments will be possible, once it is fitted, but try to get it as near as possible, before pushing it back in.

The slots in the collar are a good guide to orient the nib/feed assembly. (12 and 6 o'clock). As Paul80 says, you should be able to feel the sweet spot when you re-assemble. If you twist it out of this sweet spot, things will get very tight. If this happens, pull it out and start again.

On one 146, I used some clear silicon sealant to replace the pink bubble gum.

On another, I used nothing at all. Both have remained ink tight.

Good luck

Hi

I always use Silicon Grease to seal mine and never have any issues, in fact I have often found that it works better than the pink bubblegum Montblanc use. I have done a few that have been back to Montblanc a couple of times with leaking nib collars with little or no success in fixing the problem, but one application of grease and all is well. On one of my 149's there was so much bubblegum that it restricted ink flow which made the pen unpleasant to use but once it was replaced with grease it became a joy.

Glad you got it sorted on the end.

Paul

If in doubt, don't break them.

I love this.

And should remember this, as I am more of the "if in doubt, break it and replace it" school. Not very wise of me, I know.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.