The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Does A B Nib Suit My Writing?

pelikan broad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grwilliams86

Grwilliams86

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:34

Hey folks, I'd like to get some advice on nib sizes and pairing with writing style. I've always been a "F" kind of guy, but recently bought a Pelikan M200 with a "B" to try out. At first, I hated it... it had far too broad a line with WAY too much ink flow (Waterman Intense Black). On Clairefontaine 90g paper, it was tolerable, but on any cheap paper, it was dreadful how much feathering and bleed-through I got. Not to mention the closing up of many of my letters (a, o, e, etc). It was also skipping/hard-starting and I think had a single-cheeked baby's bottom thing going on (confirmed upon magnified inspection).

So, I got out my nail buffer pad and went to work adjusting things how I wanted (I think making it a little finer), and getting rid of the skipping. It's much more of a pleasure to write with now, but is still much more broad and wet than what I'm used to (mostly Lamy Safaris and Al-Stars).

Alright, here's the question. Does this broad nib seem to pair OK with my writing size/style (see scan below), or should I stick with F or M? My print is a little smaller and definitely puts down a wetter line (maybe I should have included a sample of that too...). Let me know what you all think, as I'll hopefully have an opportunity to buy a finer nib, if necessary, on an upcoming trip to the UK.

Thanks!

Pelikansample1_zps7e0f6345.jpg

Edited by Grwilliams86, 08 December 2013 - 10:41.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."~James 1

Pelikan M200 B, Lamy Al-Star F (and Safari), Pilot 78G B, Reform 1745(x2), Sheaffer Viewpoint (x4), Hero 616, Hero 240, Hero 329/330

Sponsored Content

#2 Grwilliams86

Grwilliams86

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:40

Here's a fairly quickly written sample of my print writing. Thanks again.

Pelikansample2_zpsbb498771.jpg

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."~James 1

Pelikan M200 B, Lamy Al-Star F (and Safari), Pilot 78G B, Reform 1745(x2), Sheaffer Viewpoint (x4), Hero 616, Hero 240, Hero 329/330

#3 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 16:44

I like the B nibbed writing as it's easier on my eyes, but then I love a wet OBB nib, so I'm biased. Use what YOU like best.

#4 Vendome

Vendome

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 18:15

It's a personal choice.

For myself, I would only use a Broad nib as a Signature pen, but I appreciate that others may want to use them as an everyday writer.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

#5 SuperNib44

SuperNib44

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 18:36

It's a personal choice.

For myself, I would only use a Broad nib as a Signature pen, but I appreciate that others may want to use them as an everyday writer.

I use a broad nib as an everyday writer.  Why not?   It does look good know and although not good for certain situations (such as writing with a very limited amount of space) it is a reliable choice and certainly more dependable then a very fine nib, which I find can get messy.  Otherwise I can use it for everything.  I like your first sample (broad) best.  

#6 Vendome

Vendome

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 18:42

I use a broad nib as an everyday writer.  Why not?   It does look good know and although not good for certain situations (such as writing with a very limited amount of space) it is a reliable choice and certainly more dependable then a very fine nib, which I find can get messy.  Otherwise I can use it for everything.  I like your first sample (broad) best.  

As per my previous post, it's down to personal choice what ever size nib you use.

I'd only use an XF nib for figures work, i.e. accountancy.

If you prefer a Broad nib as an everyday writer, fair play to you. :)

Long reign the House of Belmont.

#7 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:49

I just got my first Broad as well, fior my Konrad. I have been doing a lot of of doodling and just scribbling writing, seeing what I can get the Apache Sunset in it to do. It has been a lot of fun so far. Will it become my daily writer? Not likely- but it is great for a change of pace.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#8 Grwilliams86

Grwilliams86

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:52

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll hang onto the B for signatures, larger fun writing with pretty inks, etc. I think I'll go to a shop that sells Pelikan nibs and try out the F and M to find an everyday writer (I've got several pens with nibs ranging from XF to F/M, but not really any wet, solid performing mediums or fines).

Thanks again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, broad

Sponsored Content

|