The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How's My Writing?

handwriting spencerian ahab

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wikionion

wikionion

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:39

Image.jpg Here's a quick sample. Ink is Noodler's Polar Blue.

Edited by wikionion, 07 December 2013 - 07:40.

Sponsored Content

#2 SuperNib44

SuperNib44

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 15:25

I like your writing.  Actually, several of your letter forms are similar to forms I use frequently.  Yes it is legible, to me, but I spend a lot of time studying handwriting.  Was it written with a Noodler's pen? An Ahab?  I think your writing would look amazing with practice writing the letters slowly and carefully for a month or two if possible.  (I should do this as well.)  Then when you return to normal speed it would be very beautiful and more legible.  Good job!  

#3 wikionion

wikionion

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2013 - 19:48

I like your writing.  Actually, several of your letter forms are similar to forms I use frequently.  Yes it is legible, to me, but I spend a lot of time studying handwriting.  Was it written with a Noodler's pen? An Ahab?  I think your writing would look amazing with practice writing the letters slowly and carefully for a month or two if possible.  (I should do this as well.)  Then when you return to normal speed it would be very beautiful and more legible.  Good job!  

Thank you! An Ahab, yes. I find that fountain pen users in general, especially flexers, can find text more legible than ballpointers.

#4 theexpanciluser

theexpanciluser

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2013 - 20:46

attachicon.gifImage.jpgHere's a quick sample. Ink is Noodler's Polar Blue.

best one ever 

#5 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:01

It is very easy to read indeed! From your quote of Scripture I assume that you have been listening to Händel's Messiah a lot lately (and of cause - 'tis the season).

It seems that you might have the same challenges like I: Keeping the angle the exact same all the time and making a diffence in hight between [t,d] and [l,k,h,f,b] (something that I did not learn in school but seems to be in all the old booklets on Spencerian). The latter does take up a lot of space, though.

Have you been modifying the nib on your Ahab in order to make it write thinner lines? My Ahab makes a slightly broader line...

#6 wikionion

wikionion

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:43

It is very easy to read indeed! From your quote of Scripture I assume that you have been listening to Händel's Messiah a lot lately (and of cause - 'tis the season).

It seems that you might have the same challenges like I: Keeping the angle the exact same all the time and making a diffence in hight between [t,d] and [l,k,h,f,b] (something that I did not learn in school but seems to be in all the old booklets on Spencerian). The latter does take up a lot of space, though.

Have you been modifying the nib on your Ahab in order to make it write thinner lines? My Ahab makes a slightly broader line...

Thank you! Actually, I just tend to have Calvinisty passages constantly stuck in my head. No. It is because of my horrid habit of holding the nib sideways so that the hole is facing right a bit --- rotating the pen -30 degrees.

#7 wikionion

wikionion

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:09

Here is my writing after 1 month of passive practice. It is some Spanish homework (with some mistakes). The only letter that I have some trouble with is the miniscule "s", which I tend to make too skinny. Platinum Preppy fine, Noodler's Polar Blue. My grip is a somewhat strange grip: my wrist is pronated, and the pen goes from my index knuckle to my middle finger's last joint with my thumb underneath the left half of the pen; it is quite comfortable when you are writing with your arm motion while you are sitting up straight and looks cool!

Attached Images

• Image.jpg

Edited by wikionion, 10 January 2014 - 02:10.

#8 EpicDragon7

EpicDragon7

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:20

the second one looks really nice to me. the first one my screen is not showing very well, but what I can see looks really nice. also, I do not speak spanish, never took spanish in school

Edited by kingcobradude, 20 January 2014 - 01:25.

#9 mvarela

mvarela

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:30

Here is my writing after 1 month of passive practice. It is some Spanish homework (with some mistakes). The only letter that I have some trouble with is the miniscule "s", which I tend to make too skinny. Platinum Preppy fine, Noodler's Polar Blue. My grip is a somewhat strange grip: my wrist is pronated, and the pen goes from my index knuckle to my middle finger's last joint with my thumb underneath the left half of the pen; it is quite comfortable when you are writing with your arm motion while you are sitting up straight and looks cool!

My two cents of critique is that you need to work on your letter size consistency (right now the x-height is all over the place) and use a bit less slant.

Otherwise, you're missing a lot of tildes :)

Edit: Using guidelines (besides the baselines in your paper) would help you greatly

e4DGKpO.jpg

Edited by mvarela, 20 January 2014 - 06:46.

#10 MusinkMan

MusinkMan

Music and Ink and Man; A Musinkman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2014 - 17:03

My two cents of critique is that you need to work on your letter size consistency (right now the x-height is all over the place) and use a bit less slant.

Otherwise, you're missing a lot of tildes :)

Edit: Using guidelines (besides the baselines in your paper) would help you greatly

e4DGKpO.jpg

That's awesome Martin!  Awesome advice, and awesome example you photographed!  Nice business writing/pencil Spence!  Wooo Hooo!  Lookin' good, brother! 

I totally agree about the x-height.  It was the first thing that jumped out at me also in both examples.  Also good catch on the general size of the letters, too much variance in the width, the height, and the spacing. 

Wikionion, do not get discouraged, and do not be shy to post things like this for help.  It is the key to getting better!  We are all learning together here, and goodness knows we have all had the same problems that you are struggling through.  Man, I posted some real doozies myself, seeking help and advice; and to the credit of the good people at this site, I received some awesome advice and help!  I still have a long, long, long way to go, let me tell you!  It

is good that you ask for help and advice; and you'll be improving in short order!  Just give a little attention to the things mentioned.  Be sure to save all of your current practice sheets...in about a year you will look back on them and will be amazed at the progress you have made!

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

#11 mvarela

mvarela

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2014 - 18:31

That's awesome Martin!  Awesome advice, and awesome example you photographed!  Nice business writing/pencil Spence!  Wooo Hooo!  Lookin' good, brother! 

Thanks, dude! BTW, I got a very nice letter from a certain Brian Smith the other day... just after I posted one myself ;)

#12 MusinkMan

MusinkMan

Music and Ink and Man; A Musinkman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:42

Thanks, dude! BTW, I got a very nice letter from a certain Brian Smith the other day... just after I posted one myself ;)

Ha!  I think I know that guy!  "Oh, I remember that dude.  Yeah, he's with Motown ain't he?"

LOL!  (We used to get high and listen to Cheech 'n Chong back in my wilder days.)  Ah, such fun we had.

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: handwriting, spencerian, ahab

Sponsored Content

|