Treasure Hunt In Chennai

kapilapshankar

I'm just getting back from Chennai, and managed to spend two evenings treasure hunting on the streets of Chennai.

Pit stop #1: Rasi Pen in Adyar.

Was not able to find parking. Put on hold till the next time I am in Chennai.

Pit stop #2: Taj Pen Repair in Mylapore.

Was hoping to find some NOS Doctors here. A tad disappointed. Could only find three new-looking Doctors, unlike the ones I remember growing up with. Picked them up nevertheless. Also picked up a bunch of Oscars. Looks like a local brand, but the metallic sheen on them was too tempting to let them off.

Also grabbed a whole set of Bril inks. I don't get Bril's in Pune - so stocked up on all colors.

post-107133-0-40007700-1385786077_thumb.jpg

post-107133-0-70696000-1385786125_thumb.jpg

post-107133-0-16255200-1385786182_thumb.jpg

Pit stop #3: Gem and Co. NSC Bose Road.

Spent close to an hour with Mr. Pratap. He's sent his compliments to the FPN members.

Picked up a green Gama Supreme, a brown Gama Junior #6, a black Gama Celluloid, two NOS Gama Kids, an old Gama from Mhatre and an Indian Swan. Photos to follow.

Mr. Pratap also showed two of his in the works pens - (1) a custom made ebonite that fits into some leftover Parker Vacuumatic caps and (2) an awesome looking pen that I've fallen in love with. Imagine a Gama Supreme in black ebonite, matte finish and polished flat ends on both sides. I'm kicking myself for not taking a snap of both of them.

While there, Mr. Pratap also tweaked the nibs and set the points on my Camlin SD and Camlin 47 that were not writing too well.

Pit stop #4: Krishna Mart. NSC Bose Road.

Only had the usual suspects. Also carried a Pilot ED that I decided to pass over. Bought a cool looking local Owner acrylic ED.

Pit stop #5: The Pen Corner. NSC Bose Road.

Only had Gama acrylics and new Parkers. Didn't want to leave the shop empty handed, so got a red Gama that could easily be mistaken for Wality/Airmail.

Pit stop #6: KN Perumal Chetty. NSC Bose Road.

Picked up a Doctor ED with transparent barrel, a very cool Oliver ED, a robust looking Fellowship Pillar ED and a couple of Fellowship demonstrators. I also picked up a blue and a maroon Camlin Trinity. They're by no means rare, but I had not run into them elsewhere.

Couldn't have been happier with my haul. I'll ink them up soon and post my reviews in the weeks to come.

Edited by kapilapshankar

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kapilapshankar

• Vinodh

• mohan

• betweenthelens

Oscars from Taj:

post-107133-0-88085600-1385786391_thumb.jpg

Heading into Gem and Co. and Mr. Pratap:

post-107133-0-68450000-1385786469_thumb.jpg

post-107133-0-31469300-1385786496_thumb.jpg

Edited by kapilapshankar

What a haul!

Enjoy, there are some real treasures there. Seriously jealous. Esp with the Gama pen pouches you got... and what's in them of course.

keep the shop pictures coming too, please. That trip sounds like fun!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Sorry to join the party late.

Kapil,

great pens,great pics.

Thanks for giving idea about pen shops of Chennai. Makoba is also a prominant shop.

Gama pen from mhatre is gama royale?

amk,

Camlin have only four basic colours but more widely available.

Bril have loreal rose, violet and turquoise blue which Camel dont have. And Bril is available in 750 ml bottles...

Thank you for sharing your experiences and excellent pictures.

Mr.Pratap is a very nice person and expert on Indian pens. I have acquired a few of the Gama kids too.

I'm living vicariously through you! The mere idea of being able to visit several pen dealers makes me green... Love that red Gama with the yellow pouch!

Great Kapil....Nice Pictures.

Taj Pens dont have any timings...You are very lucky....He is having some small ebonite pens and rare Nibs also. I bought 3 from him...

K.N.Perumal Chetty got huge Oliver Pen collections. Oliver Metal Body is really good and the new Transparent model also.

I will post my Gama Collections later.

I adore those Gama pouches! Next time I am in India I shall be doing a Tamil Pen Pilgrimage...

I've not seen Bril inks - how do they compare with Camlin?

I opened by bottle of blue. Loving it. Way smooth and dark than Camlin. Also writing wetter.

I think I am a convert - will need to stock up on Bril the next time I am in Chennai :)

Great Kapil....Nice Pictures.

Taj Pens dont have any timings...You are very lucky....He is having some small ebonite pens and rare Nibs also. I bought 3 from him...

K.N.Perumal Chetty got huge Oliver Pen collections. Oliver Metal Body is really good and the new Transparent model also.

I will post my Gama Collections later.

Hi Vinodh

Taj did not have any ebonites when I went there. May be I wasn't articulate enough. I didn't ask for nibs. Will be sure to check them out next time on.

Olivers at KNPC - you're absolutely right. They had stacks of Oliver boxes. I wasn't looking at adding Olivers to my collection. Will look at the metal body at the next opportunity.

Cheers!

Kapil

Sorry to join the party late.

Kapil,

great pens,great pics.

Thanks for giving idea about pen shops of Chennai. Makoba is also a prominant shop.

Gama pen from mhatre is gama royale?

Hi Mohan

Yes - that one is a Gama Royale. I haven't see a review of that one on these forums - will post my review over the coming weekend.

Cheers!

Kapil