Pelikan - Best For Signature?

NJguy

Hello,

Complete newbie to fountain pens and would greatly appreciate your assistance here. Considering buying my first fountain pen and I am leaning towards the Pelikan brand.

QUESTIONS

1. Can people give me recommendations on what type of Pelikan pen would be best for signatures? That's the only thing I will be using it for. I'm thinking about 20 times a month and the documents will be business letterheads.

2. Any recommendations on stores in NJ where I may try out the pen first?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NJguy

• Pterodactylus

• proton007

• Bo Bo Olson

First of all, welcome to FPN.

We are spolit by choices if you are into Pelikan. It all depends whether you like to have a limited edition or special edition or souveran or tradition lines pen. Some are colourful, artful or formal look pens.

You have to see first the whole range of pen and test the pen in person as to know whether the weight and balance of the pen finally suits you.

As for the nib, since you mentioned a signature pen, I would suggest a broad nib pen.

Just a humble suggestion here.. :)

I suggest to go into a store with a good selection and try different pens to see what you like and what you don't like (size, weight, nib width, ...)

The best pen for signatures is a pen you like writing with. :)

And this is very personal. ;)

For a signature pen I would go with a broad stub. This is a custom grind availiable from such places as nibs.com or richardspen.com.

Mark

In my humble opinion, having held one of these large beauties this weekend, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pelikan Souverän M1000 Fountain Pen - lovely extra-large nib - perfect for signatures.

Best wishes,

Charlieboy

Not the 1000 he's a ball point barbarian and will bend and break the delicate springy/semi-flex 18K nib.

A 800 18K nail. The 800 BB is the way to go. It can be held like a ball point and a wide nib in modern blobby like that won't skip or stutter from being held like a pencil.

...OBB is too complicated.

18K can be made nail...stiff enough not to bend or break...and one can hold it just like a ball point/ roller ball and not need to learn to hold it like a fountain pen. 18K can also be made soft and or springy...but can bend in jack hammer ball point hands.

The 1000 must be held like a fountain pen. It's not worth wasting three minutes learning how to do, in it would be forgotten from lack of use.

800 BB.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In my humble opinion, having held one of these large beauties this weekend, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pelikan Souverän M1000 Fountain Pen - lovely extra-large nib - perfect for signatures.

Best wishes,

Charlieboy

Agreed. For signatures I'd get the medium nib. Almost any other line of pen, I'd go with broad for signature use but M1000 broad nibs can be very wet. The medium will give plenty of line variation and flair to whatever you put your name to. I have two Pelikan M1000s one with medium nib and one with fine.

The alternative would be an M800 with a custom ground cursive itialic BB nib. I happen to have ordered this nib and had it ground by Mike-it-Work. So, it more time and trouble to arrive at this solution but it is also a very, very satisfying pen with which to write.

Agreed. For signatures I'd get the medium nib. Almost any other line of pen, I'd go with broad for signature use but M1000 broad nibs can be very wet. The medium will give plenty of line variation and flair to whatever you put your name to. I have two Pelikan M1000s one with medium nib and one with fine.

The alternative would be an M800 with a custom ground cursive itialic BB nib. I happen to have ordered this nib and had it ground by Mike-it-Work. So, it more time and trouble to arrive at this solution but it is also a very, very satisfying pen with which to write.

Do you really mean this seriously?

He is a FP newbie, he does not want to spend time to learn how to use a FP correctly and you recommend him a pen with a springy nib and even more questionable a cursive italic nib?

Do you really think he can use a CI BB nib right away?

I don't think so, I agree with Bo Bo Olson that this man need a hard spherical nail nib, one he can't damage easily and use like a ballpoint.

Edited by Pterodactylus

I agree that you would be well served to visit a vendor and get the look and feel of the whole range. You could spend an awful lot of money or, not so much and either might be your preferred.

But I would add that if you can, give the M800 IB nib a try. I have many custom ground stubs and a few Italics, but this Pelikan Italic Broad nib hads been one of the very best new, off-the-shelf nibs I have ever used. It just makes me smile whenever I take it in hand (which is most evenings).

Thank you all for providing your comments. I greatly appreciate your honesty and assistance!

Um, "ball point barbarian?" I guess I have to say,... I resemble that remark. But I don't have "jack hammer ball point hands". I have to draw the line somewhere.

Yes, I don't want to spend time learning how to use a fountain pen. That time will come, but not now. To be more specific, the primary purpose for me getting a fountain pen right now is for signing cover letters and thank you notes. I am not going to have space to do the whole "John Hancock" type signature. But I do want to differentiate myself in regards to my (business) signature on such correspondences. Given this additional information, could you please comment again on my initial stab of choosing a FP for such purposes? Am I missing any other specs?

Fountain Pen- Souveran Fountain Pen M 800 (good choice for a ballpoint barbarian?)

Nib Tip Shape - Round nib?

Nib Grade - M, B, or BB?

Nib Type - Firm (is this what people mean by "nail"?)

This is an easy one to answer.

All modern Pelikans are suitable for signatures.Thats what the modern nibs are designed for.

If you were to ask 'Best for Writing?' I'd have to sit and think for a while.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Twenty signatures a month...hmmm. Get your pen, jot a few notes, try to keep a light hand and you might find you actually like writing with a fountain pen and do more than just place your signature at the bottom of a document. See if you can find a pen store that will allow you to try different nibs or perhaps a pen show.

I have medium sized hands and find that a Pelikan M630 is just the right size, not too big or too small. I assume other 600 models are the same size. I assume that you want a nib that will give your signature a little something to differentiate it from everyone else. I would suggest a medium stub or medium cursive italic, something to give your signature some line variation. To find out a bit more about nibs check out Richard's Pens website and also the Franklin Christoph website, both have good information on nibs that might help you make a decision. Richard's Pens also carries Pelikan nib units and you could do some comparing and see what is available.

Another possibility would be to purchase a Pelikan with a B or BB nib and try it for a while and if you wanted more line variation send it to Pendleton Pens and have him modify the nib for you. His nibs are fantastically smooth. I purchased a Pelikan M200 with a cursive italic nib and found it was like a BB without any line variation. Others have spoken very highly of Pelikan nibs. Good luck.

Edited by linearM

How far are you from NYC?

The Fountain Pen Hospital is there with its huge inventory of new and used pens.

10 Warren Street, New York, NY 10007
Monday-Friday 7:45am-5:30pm
call toll free: 800-253-7367
Tel: 212-964-0580
info@fountainpenhospital.com
click here for showroom location

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/home/images/trans.gif

Good luck.

G

Gilberto Castañeda

My first fountain pen was purchased partly for the same reasons as you are wanting a fountain pen. Signatures. The pen was a Lamy Al Star - which I still have. I believe it was a Medium nib if memory serves correctly. I no longer have that nib on that pen. Wrote with that combination for years, then a few years ago decided to change it to a fine. I was signing tax returns that were printed not on letterhead quality paper but likely lowest bidder paper. Do you have a large-ish signature or just average size? I only have two Pelikans - a M205 with medium and a 120 Merz & Krell with an Extra Fine. I wouldn't use a EF for signatures generally, but I have done both medium, fine and 1.1 mm italic nibs.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

As for the nib, since you mentioned a signature pen, I would suggest a broad nib pen.

Just a humble suggestion here.. :)

Daeng, considering what your pens are worth let alone your signature, you're too humble mate. I second his suggestion of a Broad on whatever size Souveraen of preference. That would be reliable and bling enough to sign a peace treaty.

NJguy, it depends on who you wanna impress. It won't be easy to impress Daeng there. In fact, I don't think I can, would you be impressed with a DM nib on a m450 for a sign pen, Daeng? :P However, a lower end Montblanc would impress the average person than even that combo. Something to consider. Good luck.

Tony

Pie pellicane Iesu Domine, me immundum munda tuo Sanguine – St Thomas Aquinas

"ON THE PLEASURE OF TAKING UP ONE'S PEN", Hilaire Belloc

If you are not familiar with using a fountain pen, it might not work well for you. If you are a ballpoint pen or roller ball user, you will likely use the fountain pen (every other day) awkwardly.

Am I thinking of buying a "fancy" pen to impress business associates, when I sign important documents ? How would I like to appear clumsy, inept, and phony at the occasion ? What's that nice pen that I carry in my pocket, and use everyday ? I will use that one.

What is your favorite pen for writing ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

In fact, I don't think I can, would you be impressed with a DM nib on a m450 for a sign pen, Daeng? :P

Tony, DM nib is quite rare for me and I only have one on my 140,, :)

An M450 is a good pen too for a signing pen.. Again it is up to the eye of the beholder.

Fountain Pen- Souveran Fountain Pen M 800 (good choice for a ballpoint barbarian?)

Nib Grade - M, B, or BB?

I would say yes, an M600 and might be a M400 would also be a good choice if you like smaller pens.

If you don't want to spend that much money you could also take e.g. a M215 with a steel nib,also a nice pen but not as representative, you won't see a difference in the writing result.

But as said, go to a shop and look what you like. :)

Thank you all for providing your comments. I greatly appreciate your honesty and assistance!

Um, "ball point barbarian?" I guess I have to say,... I resemble that remark. But I don't have "jack hammer ball point hands". I have to draw the line somewhere.

Yes, I don't want to spend time learning how to use a fountain pen. That time will come, but not now. To be more specific, the primary purpose for me getting a fountain pen right now is for signing cover letters and thank you notes. I am not going to have space to do the whole "John Hancock" type signature. But I do want to differentiate myself in regards to my (business) signature on such correspondences. Given this additional information, could you please comment again on my initial stab of choosing a FP for such purposes? Am I missing any other specs?

Nib Grade - M, B, or BB?

Hello NJGuy! Welcome! I'm not sure where all the ballpoint barbarian stuff came from...

For signatures, I think that the M800 or M805 (the "5" just means silver instead of gold trim) is a great choice. It is a substantial pen, a beautiful one.

I think that if I were planning to use the pen mostly for signatures, I would probably pick a B or BB nib. Maybe for flair, I would go for the BB.

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but you should at least consider purchasing the pen from either nibs.com or Richardspens.com. Both sites are run by "nibmeisters," who will make 100% sure that the pen writes smoothly before sending it out to you. (Pelikans sometimes leave the factory in less than perfect writing shape.) In addition, you could give either site a call and tell them what you are looking for: they will be very helpful.

As you probably know, you'll also need to get some nice ink(s) for your pen. My favorites are Pilot Iroshizuku inks, and Diamine inks. Both brands have wonderful vibrant colors--and good writing properties. Take a look at gouletpens.com for an easy to navigate selection.

Finally, when you get your pen, have fun getting a feel for it!

Good luck! and I hope you'll let us know what you decide!

Chris

All these great comments and advice you guys are giving me is making me start to salivate like Pavlov's dog waiting to get my first fountain pen!

The "ball point barbarian" comment is credited to Bo Bo Olson. I like it, gold star for you.

I will visit the Fountain Pen Hospital and test some samples.

So I guess a round or stub nib; M, B, or BB nib grade; firm. Would you say that the M200 series pens are a good choice as a "gateway" pen (i.e. starter pen, best bang for the buck)?