Nib Codes For Lamy 2000, Or What Is The U About?

angio

I've always been curious about the German pens and as it happened I managed to snag a very tidy Lamy 2000 from that auction site that we all know and complain about (but are secretly addicted to) and it's a beauty. It's a 1st gen pen, i.e. ball bearing on the clip, "L" on the piston knob, W. Germany on the cap, the nib grade stamped on the underside of the section, etc.

Now the nib is an italic with the tipping very much present, not a stub or CI but an italic and it writes beautifully. This feels like a factory job or at the very least a highly skilled professional grind but I don't know and the nib code is a "U" could help at least point me in the right direction. The problem is that my german is pretty non existent, the vaunted google has failed me and I flatly refuse to use Bing so I haven't a clue what the "U" stands for.

Does anyone know?

Not sure that this one is a keeper, I might put it up for sale later.

Some piccys for those who are of a visual persuation:

DSC03857.JPG

DSC03858.JPG

DSC03859.JPG

DSC03860.JPG

DSC03861.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Albinoni

• Dillo

• uri

• angio

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi just regarding your Lamy 2000, is it the earlier model or a new one. I know and think with the new ones the Made in W. Germany is printed under the pocket clip, where as the older one the Made in W. Germany is printed on the cap but on the bottom part, as far as I know.

Now quite strangely on my earlier model which has a Medium nib I have a K on the nib section in the same area where your U is. Also mine has a L on the Piston knob which I am assuming stands for Lamy, the newer model doesnt have that.

I have 3 Lamy 2000 fountain pens and also the whole Lamy set, which includes the ballpointm rollerball and mechanic pencil.

My Lamy fountain pens are:

Slightly older Lamy 2000 FP with Medium nib (like yours)

New Lamy 2000 with Medium nib

New Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel with Medium nib.

But like I said my slightly older generation one has a K on it instead of a U.

Hi,

K may stand for Kugel or ball. Some German pens had ball-tipped nibs. What does the tip of your Lamy look like?

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi I had the K on one of my earlier Lamy 2000's which also had a L logo on the bottom of the barrel, the new one or later model apparently did not have this K and neither did it have the L on the bottom of the barrel.

Also with the new one and the previous or old one whe you turned the pen upside down that hood part/section before the nib, on the new one it was all steel but the old one plastic, no bid deal to me because they both write beautifully.

But I dont think all the Lamy 2000's had this K or Krugel nibs, probably only some.

Hi,

It was an option until they stopped making them recently, but I believe the great majority of Lamy 2000 pens don't have them.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Apparently one of my Lamy 2000s has a MK just further down below the underside of the nib, so does this mean Medium Krugel nib.

• 3 years later...

I got a response directly from Lamy:

We did print a 'u' on the inkeed [sic] in the 60's to indicate that this specific pen has a special calligraphy nib.