Where To Buy Sheaffer Legacy I/ii/heritage?

xwingrox

HI all,

I've been bitten by the Sheaffer Legacy bug. I am completely enamored by the version with black bodied, black cap, and silver trim. I also think the TD system is pretty cool. The problem is that I can't seem to find them anywhere used for under $200. Ebay is spotty on a good day but it seems like no one is reselling their old Legacy's! Any suggestions? I even put up a wanted ad in the classifieds...

Thanks for the enabling

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• penmanila

• AL01

• Maine Vintner

Full stop.

There are three versions of the Legacy series so far, the Legacy, Legacy 2 and Legacy Heritage. The latter is not touchdown filled. The former two models were made from 1995 until about 2002 so over a seven year period. Since then it has been the Legacy Heritage that is a conventional cartridge/converter pen.

There was a Legacy with a Palladium plated cap that had a brushed finish IIRC and a black laque body and a similar Legacy2 where the cap was polished.

Since the pen you want was only made over a seven year period while the Legacy Heritage has been made for over a decade the Legacy Heritage non-TD filler models will be more common.

My Website

I might check Peyton Street Pens occasionally. They have a few right now for under $200, but none are TD fillers.

Of course there is always eBay and also the FPN classifieds section, but I rarely see them posted here. Maybe people just want to hang on to them. I've been looking to get a Legacy myself. If you can wait, you might be able to find one that meets your criteria at the LA Pen Show in February (if it's not too far of a trip).

Here is a very useful guide to the different models of Legacies:

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Legacy/legacy%20%20reference%20list.html

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I might check Peyton Street Pens occasionally. They have a few right now for under $200, but none are TD fillers.

Of course there is always eBay and also the FPN classifieds section, but I rarely see them posted here. Maybe people just want to hang on to them. I've been looking to get a Legacy myself. If you can wait, you might be able to find one that meets your criteria at the LA Pen Show in February (if it's not too far of a trip).

Here is a very useful guide to the different models of Legacies:http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Legacy/legacy reference list.html

That is a great resource. Thanks.

I did not see the one I have, which I bought from Levenger's. It does have the TD filler, I think, but can use carts. It's a matte gold finish. Now I'm curious.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I bought this one recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-VINTAGE-SHEAFFER-BLACK-SILVER-GOLD-TRIM-FOUNTAIN-PEN-CASE-WHITE-SPOT-/141069096093?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=vNK8nn3E1XbE5OeIEjqmwyLDKBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The seller doen't know much about Sheaffers to describe this accurately. I was hoping it's a Legacy 2, it turned out to be the earlier model, a Legacy 1 model 842. A very nice pen, wet and smooth writer rivalling my PFM III. After two days, I contacted the seller and made arrangement for the return of the pen. The TD conververter doesn't work and the cap is loose. Bye Legacy 1.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

I bought this one recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-VINTAGE-SHEAFFER-BLACK-SILVER-GOLD-TRIM-FOUNTAIN-PEN-CASE-WHITE-SPOT-/141069096093?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=vNK8nn3E1XbE5OeIEjqmwyLDKBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The seller doen't know much about Sheaffers to describe this accurately. I was hoping it's a Legacy 2, it turned out to be the earlier model, a Legacy 1 model 842. A very nice pen, wet and smooth writer rivalling my PFM III. After two days, I contacted the seller and made arrangement for the return of the pen. The TD conververter doesn't work and the cap is loose. Bye Legacy 1.

You probably did great returning that one. I think the 842 had the dull mat finish Palladium cap originally while the Palladium cap Legacy 2 was the bright finish. It's possible that you bought Franks pen.

My Website

You probably did great returning that one. I think the 842 had the dull mat finish Palladium cap originally while the Palladium cap Legacy 2 was the bright finish. It's possible that you bought Franks pen.

Would that explain why the cap didn't fit right? As I understand, the Legacy 2's clutch mechanism inside the cap is identical to the Heritage, is much better than the earlier model. Caps are interchangeable between Legacy 2 and Heritage, right?

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

I second the Peyton Street recommendation above -- that's how I acquired mine. Got a heck of a good deal on a Legacy Heritage palladium and Teri is great to deal with (no affiliation).

Originally, I had wanted a TD version as well, but the TDs are tough to find, let alone one in non-gold trim. After reading reviews, it didn't seem like I was really missing out on not having the TD other than a bit of novelty, so I pulled the trigger on the LH.

Legacy Heritage pens with black and platinum/rhodium (not sure which it is) are easier to find and do pop up from time to time. You may want to consider if the TD is a deal breaker for you.

Oh, and I'd also recommend taking a look at the Sheaffer Intrigue...it's a bit more narrow/lighter than the Legacy Heritage, but it's a sweet pen. Teri has a great black on up on her website right now (the same one I own and I'm using today).

Would that explain why the cap didn't fit right? As I understand, the Legacy 2's clutch mechanism inside the cap is identical to the Heritage, is much better than the earlier model. Caps are interchangeable between Legacy 2 and Heritage, right?

Possibly. It is possible to swap caps across all the models but with varying degrees of success. Here are some pictures of my Legacy 2 version posted and closed.

http://www.fototime.com/480F40E6CF7F55F/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BAE36B9CAA2F5DD/medium800.jpg

Now compare these to the third picture in the one you returned. Is something missing there?

AbE: Here are some pictures that might help of a few of my PFM/Legacy family pens. They are laid out with a PFM at the top then Legacy followed by the Legacy 2

http://www.fototime.com/0C659079ECE3EDF/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AB630FA7B92F10B/large.jpg

I hope this helps.

Edited by jar

My Website

• 3 years later...

so, (just before i pull the trigger on a purchase) can legacy and legacy 2 caps be interchanged? and in a pinch, can a PFM V cap slide over a legacy 2? thanks!

Check out my blog and my pens

I second the Peyton Street recommendation above -- that's how I acquired mine. Got a heck of a good deal on a Legacy Heritage palladium and Teri is great to deal with (no affiliation).

Originally, I had wanted a TD version as well, but the TDs are tough to find, let alone one in non-gold trim. After reading reviews, it didn't seem like I was really missing out on not having the TD other than a bit of novelty, so I pulled the trigger on the LH.

Legacy Heritage pens with black and platinum/rhodium (not sure which it is) are easier to find and do pop up from time to time. You may want to consider if the TD is a deal breaker for you.

Oh, and I'd also recommend taking a look at the Sheaffer Intrigue...it's a bit more narrow/lighter than the Legacy Heritage, but it's a sweet pen. Teri has a great black on up on her website right now (the same one I own and I'm using today).

+1 on the Sheaffer Intrigue. I have a Legacy Heritage -- too heavy, too bulky -- and an Intrigue, which feels like just the right size. The Intrigue was the last pen to be designed and built at Sheaffer Fort Madison, Iowa. The last "real" Sheaffer. That's a "heart grabber".

However, the Intrigue has the strangest filling system I've ever used.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

so, (just before i pull the trigger on a purchase) can legacy and legacy 2 caps be interchanged? and in a pinch, can a PFM V cap slide over a legacy 2? thanks!

Not well.

PFM & Legacy == OK; Legacy 2 & Heritage == OK

PFM or Legacy with Legacy 2 or Heritage cap != OK.

My Website

+1 on the Sheaffer Intrigue. I have a Legacy Heritage -- too heavy, too bulky -- and an Intrigue, which feels like just the right size. The Intrigue was the last pen to be designed and built at Sheaffer Fort Madison, Iowa. The last "real" Sheaffer. That's a "heart grabber".

However, the Intrigue has the strangest filling system I've ever used.

How durable are they? Do they make good pens for daily carry?

Intriguing? Eh?

Edited by AL01

Great pens, especially as a daily carry. I have several - touchdown and converts. The converts are very convenient as daily carries as they also take cartridges. The inlaid nibs are amazing.

John

No, I was not referring to the Intrigue. I was referring to the Legacy pens. I apologize if I missed the intent of the question.

Intrigues are very good pens in their own right. I owned one and loved its look and flexibility in terms of filling system. I did not find it to be a great daily carry as it was a bit finicky for my taste - cap has to be put on just right; filling system prone to need service, etc.

For inlaid nib Sheaffers the Legacy, Targa, and Imperial do it for me.

John

many thanks, much appreciated!

Not well.

PFM & Legacy == OK; Legacy 2 & Heritage == OK

PFM or Legacy with Legacy 2 or Heritage cap != OK.

Check out my blog and my pens