Buying My First Pelikan

yourNibs

Hey, everybody, I'm looking at purchasing my first Pelikan pen. I'm really attracted to the style and reputation of the brand, and I'm pretty sure I want to go with an M200 from Richard Binder (to ensure I get a quality nib). My dilemma, however, is that I'm not sure what color scheme works best for the M200 model. Richardspens.com has the green marbled version, the black with green window version, and the demonstrator version. I do like demonstrators, but I'm just not totally sold on the gold trim on a clear pen. I've looked at several pictures, and the green marbled looks pretty nice, but I know images can be deceiving. So I was wondering if any of you happen to own any of these colors and had any input about how they look in real life. I know this is a pretty subjective thing, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yourNibs

• autopsy

• langere

• Indy_Pen_Dance

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The window is much darker in real life than those pictures suggest. It will look like a regular black pen with gold trim. I personally think the marbling is unnattractive. Demonstrators are headaches when it comes to cleaning, so I'd go with the black Pelikan. I have the M215 and the M1000 in green stripes. Great pens. I prefer oversized pens, so M1000 is tough to beat.

The striped bodies on the higher end models don't have the usual demonstrator issues, fyi.

Okay, that was one thing that kinda seemed odd to me about the black one with the green window. The green seemed to really jump out in the pictures. If it blends in more with the black as you say, I just might have to go with that one. And I would *die* to get my hands on an M1000, but it is just too far out of my price range. :( Thanks for the input.

I think it is a good idea to remember that the ink view window will have a different appearance based on the ink you have in the pen! That being said, it is a very nice pen and I think you will really enjoy the quality of both the pen and the work that Richard does on the nibs. The green marble, which I have also seen is not my favorite - but is also not my least favorite - of the Pelikan line up. It is personal taste of course, but I have to agree that the black would be my choice between those two.

Have you thought to look at the 215? A very different looking pen, but just as good!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I think all 3 M200's are good versions but I am biased. They all look better in person than pictures depict, though I don't favor the green marbled as much as the former blue and grey marbled versions. The demonstrator looks sharp and the black is classic. I might also suggest you look at the Toledo red M205 which is the same pen size but with chrome colored trim. The red is very sharp. Good luck with your decision.

post-95756-0-38974400-1385349692_thumb.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

@ Indy_Pen_Dance: Thanks for the input. I think I will be going with the black version.

@ Erick: I have looked at the 215, but the only version Richard Binder has available is the ringed version, which I'm not too fond of.

@ sargetalon: Thanks for the photos. Definitely helpful. :)

My beef with demonstrators (I own a few):

1) They never look as good with a full barrel of ink you think they will.

2) I'm too scared to put hot colors (reds, oranges, purples etc) in them for fear of staining. With a ~$120 Pelikan, it's not the end of the world, but I have some very expensive limited edition demos that, if they got stained, would devastate me.

3) I hate, hate, hate having ink trapped in a demonstrator pen. It drives me nuts to no end to see a bit of blue trapped in the plastic inside. You think with a fancy expensive pen, the construction would be better, but it isn't. Don't forget ink in the cap too. (bleep) gets everywhere and can take 30+ minutes to get all of it, if you can get it all.

4) With age, they can lose some of their transparency. They go from being perfectly clear to having microscratches that make the pen look cheap.

I think all 3 M200's are good versions but I am biased. They all look better in person than pictures depict, though I don't favor the green marbled as much as the former blue and grey marbled versions. The demonstrator looks sharp and the black is classic. I might also suggest you look at the Toledo red M205 which is the same pen size but with chrome colored trim. The red is very sharp. Good luck with your decision.

I was just going to suggest the Toledo red M205 myself. Just got mine. Here is a photo:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Fountain%20Pens/176-PelikanM205Crimson_zps6bfcdd11.jpg

It really is gorgeous.

I bought it here: http://mbm47.net/sale_list.php

FPN member and real good to work with. Murfie - lives in Australia. These are all his personal collection. Has about 3 vintage models (140, a 1953 100N and a 1952 400) and some newer Pelikan's as well. I bought my M205 and a 120 from him. The 120 was NOS and never been inked. Very smooth EF nib.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I was just going to suggest the Toledo red M205 myself. Just got mine. Here is a photo:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Fountain%20Pens/176-PelikanM205Crimson_zps6bfcdd11.jpg

It really is gorgeous.

I bought it here: http://mbm47.net/sale_list.php

FPN member and real good to work with. Murfie - lives in Australia. These are all his personal collection. Has about 3 vintage models (140, a 1953 100N and a 1952 400) and some newer Pelikan's as well. I bought my M205 and a 120 from him. The 120 was NOS and never been inked. Very smooth EF nib.

That Toledo Red is hot! This is definitely the color I'd snag!

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchet

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1338/hxl1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My wife's mother has the green marbleized version and I don't think that it looks nearly as good as the green Stresemann striped Pelikans - although the marbleized look is actually Pelikan's original M look (the stripes being a slightly newer invention by Pelikan).

Demonstrator lovers of cause have a little corner of the world on their own. Personally I have never been able to decide whether demonstrators look cheap or honest or fashionable and they surely make all kinds of impressions on people, positive as well as negative - especially in an age where clear ball point pens can be had for no money at all.

Black always looks good; you can use it in any situation and with all kinds of clothes (even to a funeral if that should be necessary). And if you need a little colour you can always fill it with some (without fearing that it gets stained, which might happen to the demonstator). Black is as understated and refined as the demonstrator but with a lot more class.