The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Shading Ink(S)

inks shading colors shading

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 plumon

plumon

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:10

This may be a basic question: what is "shading" ink (beyond the obvious) and who makes them?

How can I find out more about them?

Thanks in inkiness.

plumon

Sponsored Content

#2 OrganicsStudio

OrganicsStudio

Extremely Rare

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:33

Shading inks typically come from less saturated colors, which allows the color to 'change' depending on how much ink is put down.  If an ink is too saturated, it just appears the same no matter how much ink is put down.  Regarding who makes them - Diamine has a few very good shading inks, the Pilot Iroshizuku inks are known to shade, and out of our line, our Elements ink line is designed to be less saturated and more inclined to shade.

Hope that helps!

TT

Tyler - Owner, Organics Studio
Facebook.com/OrganicsStudio
OrganicsStudio.com

#3 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 19:05

IMO, shading has more to do with the rate of absorbance into the paper. Thus the wider the nib, the better the shading. When you write, let's say letter for letter in a word, you always have an upward-stroke and a downward-stroke. The upward-strokes are usually faster and/or less dowsn-pressed than the downward-strokes are. Thus, the downward-strokes bring more ink into the paper than the upward-strokes, and the downward strokes look stronger and more saturated, more colour-intense. Of course this has something to do with the chemical and physical properties of the ink itself, but a good "shading ink" makes that more possible. Take a look at a few ink reviews.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#4 plumon

plumon

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 22:30

Thanks Mike and TT.

Plumon

#5 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2013 - 21:09

If you like yellowish/orange, I would highly recommend you get a sample of Apache Sunset and give it a try. Now that is a great shading ink!

Tom

#6 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2013 - 22:05

Wade through this topic on the FPN. There are many good points there.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,351 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 23:40

Shading is fun....better paper gives more shading than poor paper.

A paper for the copier....a paper to scribble with.

Pelikan, Herbin, MB, R&K, some DA inks, some Noodler inks. Some Diamine inks. Some Japanese inks.

You don't say where you are from. Noodlers would be a good stateside bet...in Europe not so in the import fees drive up the price. Same goes in reverse.

I got basic  50-55 mostly Euro inks....mostly mainland Europe...in I want to get my essential  100 Euro inks ....out of 200-250-300 inks.

Then I can chase Diamine's 200+ inks or Noodlers' 400+ inks.

Green ...R&K Verdura....... MB Irish Green and Pelikan green....those are the middle of green-greens....a real odd green R&K Alt Gold green.....worth buying, you will get use to the odd color...the more nibs you have the better. A poster made a grand thread of 30 some odd murky greens.....odd what colors will grow on you after a while. Herbin Vert Empire...MB 'Seaweed'.

Brownish, Herbin;  Lie de The and Caffe des Ills. MB toffee. Noodler Golden Brown....takes forever to dry...needs a blotter for the bottom 1/4 of the page.

Purple, C 'dA Storm.

Turquoise Waterman....don't remember the new name. don't remember the old name now either :wacko: ....Herbin Blue Pervenchi

I get an ink overload just thinking about it.

What color do you like most....then we can give you 20 or so inks just in that color.

You have to spend some time over in Ink Reviews, look up Sandy1's reviews, she does 4-5 pens-4-5 different papers....and a different nib on a paper makes a big difference.

A different paper too.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2013 - 22:15

Plumon,  I would agree with all the posters so far.  Less saturated colors often shade better, but the ink is only part of the equation.  The paper and pen make a great deal of difference.  Sandy's reviews are some of the most detailed available.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inks, shading colors, shading

Sponsored Content

|