Writing Looks Tentative And Slope Difficulties.

New_Falcon

Hello All,

I've been trying to work on my handwriting and though not going for a particular, style I'm trying to achieve something that looks confident yet considered and doesn't look like it's written by a 10 year old.

I'm finding it difficult to get a look of confidence in my writing and it looks tentative to me. I'm also having difficulty with the slope, I'm a left handed underwriter and the page is almost 90 to my body and so cannot use the right handed technique of angling the paper and then writing vertically to get a consistent slope.

The attached is an example of my everyday slightly slower than normal writing.

I'd value your suggestions on the way forward.

post-70025-0-49946900-1385054584_thumb.jpg

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• New_Falcon

• GClef

• PAKMAN

• blefevre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since my handwriting is terrible, I can't really help you. I can only say that I really like your handwriting and wouldn't mind if I could write like that. Did you write this in a 'normal' speed? Like you would write just for yourself, not for the forum, or did you spend extra time on getting it just right?

Let's go with the glass is half full proposition. Your hand is better than at least 90% of the public. I do not think your style would be benefitted by a broad nib, especially given the way you circle your "f, l, and K's".

The most important aspect of your writing is it is perfectly legible. In the end that is what really matters- others can discern what has been composed without difficulty.

Byron

The slope issue might be improved with practice using some slope gridded paper, but as others have noted, your handwriting is very legible!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Another vote for "your handwriting looks quite nice." *blush*

I also think that my handwriting looks like a third-grader's. I think that writing letters at a steeper slope and/or writing less rounded may be what makes other people's handwriting look more adult - not that I have had much luck with changing my own handwriting.

Thanks all for the kind words. I suppose I'll just keep practicing and see if that helps with the confidence and speed.

Obyekt - That was written pretty much at my normal pace, that is when I'm not rushing to take down notes at a meeting, just my normal writing pace.

blefevre - I think that you're right and a broad nib wouldn't suit my writing. I'm not looking to collect pens, so I'll put that pen money away for a time I figure out what I really want.

pakmanpony - I created some 52degree slope paper and am practicing on that, strange that I didn't like handwriting practice at school, but now I quite like it.

Pterodactylus - I think that I've only tried five fountain pens in my life. A cheap forgettable pen that the school forced on us, a parker that I unfortunately lost, a Noodlers creaper, Namiki Falcon and my Lamy 2000. I think that all of them either had fine or medium nibs. I'll have to see if I can get to a store that will allow me to try dip testing a couple of pens.

nekosan - there's something, nothing I can verbalise, but something that makes my writing look to me like a 10 year old has written it. Hopefully it's just in my head.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by New_Falcon

My suggestion would be to "love the one you're with". That is, chose to love your hand as the clearly legible writing that it already is. I like the clean line and well-considered tone of your writing. Most writers would be proud to achieve such clarity and apparent ease of flow. Congratulations!

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Might I ask, do you have an exemplar of HOW you would like your handwriting to look?

rtruslow - Thanks it maybe that it's an inferiority complex on my part. I never really got good marks at handwriting tests at school.

GClef - I think that, that is the difficulty, though I admire Spencerian and Business Monoline scripts I would like something that was disctinctly mine. Maybe it's my own feeling of not being confident when I'm writing, rather than it actually looking unconfident and that's tainting my view.

Maybe I should just sit down and enjoy writing and leave the critical side alone for a couple of weeks?

Maybe I should just sit down and enjoy writing and leave the critical side alone for a couple of weeks?

Or, maybe you WILL NOT! You'll sit down and enjoy writing when I say you're ready to sit down and enjoy writing! When you complain your hands are cramped and hurting, I'll say "Good! Now keep writing!"

(Sorry, I...I...don't know what came over me....I think I just channeled my 7th grade English teacher.)

Anyhow...when you look down as your writing in your familiar script, which picture looks the closest to your paper, hand and pen position?

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/1122131748_zps6c9dc44f.jpg

Or, #2

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/1122131749_zpsa41c8a38.jpg

Or, maybe you WILL NOT! You'll sit down and enjoy writing when I say you're ready to sit down and enjoy writing! When you complain your hands are cramped and hurting, I'll say "Good! Now keep writing!"

(Sorry, I...I...don't know what came over me....I think I just channeled my 7th grade English teacher.)

Anyhow...when you look down as your writing in your familiar script, which picture looks the closest to your paper, hand and pen position?

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/1122131748_zps6c9dc44f.jpg

Or, #2

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/1122131749_zpsa41c8a38.jpg

My bet is neither! OP is a left handed underwirter!

GClef - #2 is closer but I'm left handed. Also the paper is almost 90degrees to my body.

ehemem- Looks like you posted between me reading GClef's post and hitting the reply button.

Edited by New_Falcon

I think your writing looks excellent! I wish mine were as good. I do agree that broader nibs are wonderful. Please consider a Parson's Italix from Mr. Pen, or a Lamy Joy (which has a wonderful smooth and free flowing nib). I find that the italic nibs demand and lot of ink and your writing can dry up once you get started if your pen can't deliver the ink. I have had to best luck with the Lamy Joy italic, and it's quite reasonable. I think it looks sort of silly BUT who cares about that?

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Sorry should have written this a little better, but I was sitting on the couch with a clipboard and trying to watch the game at the same time.

Still here it is.....

post-70025-0-76767300-1385334221_thumb.jpg