Pelikan M600, But Which One?

Gamma Goblin

Oh dear! I should not have done it but I did. Walked into a well-sorted B&M store and tried out multiple Pelikan pens of the M200/400/600/800 range. The M800 was too heavy for me, the M200 and M400 too small. Only the M600 pens they had fit my hand perfectly and were of ideal weight and balance.

So I have decided to get me a M600. But which one? There are so many around.

In the shop they had a green marbled one that looked very good and a light blue one with silver trims that seemed to be some kind of limited edition and also looked cool. I can`t have both pens, so I must decide between these two.

If you had the choice, which pen would you take and why?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gamma Goblin

• Pterodactylus

• risingsun

• josephchow42

Take the one that makes you happy.

http://josephchow42.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/FPN/i-RXgD3pQ/0/O/phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

They are all great so the choice is a lot easier because basically, you can't go wrong! Of the two you mention though, the green marbled one - sounds like a Green O'Green to me, would be my choice. A lovely pen and mine now has Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Green in it. Classy!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I really think you should decide by your own based on your preferences ;)

The Blue 605 is really nice, I like blue pens.

I've a Blue 600 and bought my wife a 600 Ruby Red.

From the standard colors I prefer the Blue ones.

The green stiped one is the classical Stresemann, long time I did not like them.

But now I also have a green vintage 400NN as I thought somebody also should have at least one classical green Pelikan Stresemann, and think it is not as bad as I always thought.

I also have a weakness for the brown Tortoise pens.

First I thought: Hmmm brown pens? Nah, but now I love them.

Edited by Pterodactylus

I'd go with the M600 white tortoise (if you could expand your choices beyond the two you specified), easily the most unique and possibly the most beguiling in the 600 range.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

Both are fantastic, you cant go wrong with Pelikan. I would go with the m605, the blue stripes with silver furniture. That one really appeals to me. Such a striking pen, especially in person.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

I don't think you can go wrong.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I would go for the green marbled (IMHO it is called a Green`O`Green) one. This is a Special Edition from Pelikan turned out of acrylic blocks just like in the old times. The light blue you describe could be a M640 Eternal Ice, which was a Limited Edition. When choosing a pen I go for the looks of it and don`t care if there are only 3499 others who have this pen or if they`re 11999. These LEs and SEs are pure marketing stuff, nothing else. I make a choice of a pen dependent from how it looks because it is me who has to take this pen out and look at it while writing day after day after day. Choosing a LE that even doesn`t have the classic look of a real Souveran (no beak clip and barrel looking like a stretched ton)? Not with me.

But after all it is you who has to choose, so good luck.

Today I went to the B&M pen store again. My choice was made easier. The light blue Pelikan was gone, so I took the green marbled one. It has a M nib and is a nice writer. I also bought some Meisterbutten writing paper and Pelikan black ink to go with the pen.

In daylight the pen looks great with all the different shades of green.

Thanks for your advices.

Good choice! The marbled green 600 is beautiful! Enjoy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Both the Pelikan 600 and 605 are great pens. It just depends on whether you like the chrome accents of the Pelikan 605 or the gold accents of the 600. They also come in various colors. Pelikan also just came out with a new 605 demonstrator that is blue and looks sharp.

http://www.penchalet.com/images/products/enlarge/10635-MarineBlue.jpg

http://www.penchalet.com/images/logo-amazon.jpg

www.penchalet.com

Well, if you decide to get another (just nod your head), might I recommend the Souverän M600 Red O' Red? It really is wonderful. The M600 is a great size, not too slim, but not too big to make carrying it around in your pocket an issue. I love the marbled/flaked translucent ruby finish. I can even see the ink level if I hold it up to the light. Of all the fountain pens I own (10 and growing), this is the only one that "sings" when I write. It's smooth but it makes a very slight humming noise as I write that I find very pleasant and soothing.

I got mine from the folks at http://nibs.com (great service!) and last I looked, it was still listed...

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Pelikan%20website%20pics/Pelikan-M600-Red-o-Red-Ruby-UnCapped.jpg

Well, if you decide to get another (just nod your head), might I recommend the Souverän M600 Red O' Red? It really is wonderful. The M600 is a great size, not too slim, but not too big to make carrying it around in your pocket an issue. I love the marbled/flaked translucent ruby finish. I can even see the ink level if I hold it up to the light. Of all the fountain pens I own (10 and growing), this is the only one that "sings" when I write. It's smooth but it makes a very slight humming noise as I write that I find very pleasant and soothing.

I got mine from the folks at http://nibs.com (great service!) and last I looked, it was still listed...

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Pelikan%20website%20pics/Pelikan-M600-Red-o-Red-Ruby-UnCapped.jpg

Just one thing, it is not a Red O´ Red, the pen is called Ruby Red ;)

Nibs com also listed it wrong.

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.FWI.displayShop.91581./souveraen-ruby-red

Edited by Pterodactylus

Just one thing, it is not a Red O´ Red, the pen is called Ruby Red ;)

Nibs com also listed it wrong.

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.FWI.displayShop.91581./souveraen-ruby-red

I am FAR from an expert, but from what I've seen from different Internet sources (and we all know everything on the Internet is true), the Ruby Red and the Red O' Red are the exact same pen, the only difference being where it was marketed. Some places seem to call it Red O' Red, some Ruby Red, but it appears to be the same pen. Even on Nibs.com they say it's also called the Ruby Red.

Are you saying they are different pens? If so, can you describe the difference?

I think the "Red O Red" name is a result of previous pens which are called Blue O Blue and Green O Green so when Pelikan announced a red one many people talked about a Red O Red, but I bet you will not find any reference to a Red O Red pen on a official Pelikan site.

Well, it seems to me that these birds are really addictive. But I have set me a strict limit saying that I only buy a new M600 when this one falls apart from use and cannot be repaired anymore. And that will be a looong time.

Now I got one Pelikan more, damn :wub: .

And am waiting on another bird. This time it`s a P30 cartridge filler that I`ll have customized by Moxoftritonytes. She`s going to turn the broad nib into a stub for me and do some tweaks to increase the ink flow on that pen. I`ll let you know when it arrives.

Edited by Gamma Goblin