The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

What Size 146 Nib?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 pipmontano

pipmontano

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:30

Hello everyone. I hope you can provide me with some wise words as to which nib grade to choose. I have a Montblanc 149 with an M nib and I am interested in getting a 146 Solitaire. I tried the 146 testers in a local MB shop and to my surprise, the 146 M tester produced lines that are similar to that of an F nib. On the other hand, the 146 with a B nib wrote like my 149 with an M nib. This got me confused. I just don't know if such was a result of the ink they used (Mystery Black) or the quality of the paper they use for these testings, which I assume to be MB paper. Anyone here with a similar experience? Now, I am not sure about which suits me best. 

Sponsored Content

#22 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:35

Generally speaking, if you want a finer nib than the one you have, then try a F. If you want a broader nib then try a B.

If you buy the pen brand new, then you have the opportunity to exchange the nib for free for up to 6 weeks if it's not to your liking.

flying-letter-exc.png

#23 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:33

Do what I once did, get one of these :o

fpn_1360937814__test_set.jpg

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#24 Reed_thoughts

Reed_thoughts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 16:36

Lol. thats one way!

Plan B is to know what you want and have a nib meister do it.

Meaning: get a B, and then have it "narrowed" to the width you want on a certain paper and ink.

#25 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 14:23

Lol. thats one way!

Plan B is to know what you want and have a nib meister do it.

Meaning: get a B, and then have it "narrowed" to the width you want on a certain paper and ink.

That is a solution I have used in the past when the nib lacks a certain 'something' and I find it hard to bond with.

I have, in the past, sent pens over to the USA to get them sorted out but now use the services of a UK based nib tuner.

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#26 pugsmanias2

pugsmanias2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 18:20

This is my 146 OBB, MB Lavender ink. I simply love this nib! My favorite pen and nib!

Attached Images

• 20180307_110217 (600x800).jpg

Sponsored Content

|