How Do You Carry Your Fountain Pen?

GMYoussef

Several people have mentioned clipping it to the collar of your tshirt. I had no idea this was a thing, I find it interesting. Do you keep the pen inside your shirt with only the clip showing? Isn't that uncomfortable in any way? It just doesn't seem very secure to me since there's nothing preventing the pen from hitting the ground were it to get unclipped, but I've never tried it so i may be wrong.

I wear t-shirts on the weekends, and for the past 25 years I've carried fountain pens clipped inside the t-shirt collar. A few times maybe I missed when I was clipping the pen on, and it has just fallen down inside my shirt (tucked in). That's the worst thing that's happened. Oh, once I forgot to clip a pen to the collar. That was horrible. :headsmack:

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GMYoussef

• marcelo

• bernardo

• OcalaFlGuy

I buy Polo shirts so I can specifically carry my FPs like this Pilot Justus 95:

http://i58.tinypic.com/30xk421.jpg

Basicly that is the same way I carry my own pen. However, I also will drop my Jin Hao in my pant pocket if I am in a hurry.

----EDIT----

Drat. Looks like I may order one of those quiver holders. Clever idea.

Edited by Jbloodwo

I have several pens that I can drop in my front pants pocket. Kaweco Sports, Kaweco Liliput (a silver and black one with the two-pen leather sleeve). The latter is about the size of a Bic lighter.

I carry in my pen case which goes in my pannier on my daily bike commute. Once I get in, the daily work pen, a 149, goes in my shirt pocket.

I recently picked up a rather geeky vest with about a million pockets (or 24 if you ask the guys that made it). It has a pen slot on either side that will easily hold two pens of any size, three if one is slim. It has been a very handy way to carry extra pens this winter. With the summer coming, I will probably revert to one pen in a shirt pocket, or clipped to the button placket of my shirt.

JS

I usually carry two pens around with me, in a pen case that came with my Visconti HS:

post-110005-0-92651900-1397283097_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Kevin

I usually carry two pens around with me, in a pen case that came with my Visconti HS:

attachicon.gifIMG_0258.jpg

I have a smaller Visconti case, but I find it leaves black fluff on my pens! Seeing as the Parker Sonnet I wanted to put in there has holes in the cap, I decided not to use it anymore. I also don't like how my pen could rattle around in it.

For now I'm just keeping it in the case it came in. Not very glamorous, but functional. I need something with a hard shell when I put my pens in my backpack. There don't seem to be a lot of hard cases out there.

I have a smaller Visconti case, but I find it leaves black fluff on my pens!

Have tried using a vacuum cleaner on the inside of the case? I found it worked for me in a similar instance.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Have tried using a vacuum cleaner on the inside of the case? I found it worked for me in a similar instance.

It's a bit too small for that, I fear, but I maybe I should try that, thanks! It was way too expensive to let it go to waste.

I just carry one pen, black Kaweco Sport. Retired, so it's tee-shirts or polo shirts. All pocketed, so that's where the pen goes.

I wear a lanyard around my neck with my access card so I just clip the pen onto the lanyard. I used to put keys on it as well, but they used to bang into the pen as I walked and they scratched up an Al-Star quite badly.

It's a bit too small for that, I fear, but I maybe I should try that, thanks! It was way too expensive to let it go to waste.

I had a situation where I wanted to vacuum out a crack in some tile. I got a straw (from a fast food place) and placed it at the upper part of the thin nozzle of the vacuum, and then used clear packing tape to seal it in place and seal off the rest of the intake. Worked amazingly well! I use a Meile vacuum, BTW.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I had a situation where I wanted to vacuum out a crack in some tile. I got a straw (from a fast food place) and placed it at the upper part of the thin nozzle of the vacuum, and then used clear packing tape to seal it in place and seal off the rest of the intake. Worked amazingly well! I use a Meile vacuum, BTW.

Wow, I'll have to try that! I'll let you know how it worked out!

Edited by Anneleen

I put my pens in the crochet pen snuggies I made and throw them into my purse.

Edited by leaflet

I have a few pens, and carry them according to how much I trust them.

Kaweco Sport - I trust this pen totally, and never have any concerns about it leaking. It lives in my trouser pocket. I never keep it anywhere else (except maybe in summer when I'm wearing shorts without a decent pocket). It never leaks, the cap is a really good tight fit, and never comes loose. Although having said that, I should warn you about the only time when the cap did come off. This only happened once, and was because of the way I carried it. I clipped the pen to my jeans pocket. This was my big mistake. When clipped to my pocket, the cap was held rigid, and could not move. Walking around with (tightish) jeans, the pen was rubbed against my leg as I was awallking. Although the barrel of the pen was able to move slightly when rubbing, the cap (because it was held in place by the clip) could not move, and as a result the cap separated from the barrel and the pen fell into the pocket. When I went to take the pen out to use it, all I got was the cap. The rest of the pen was deep in my pocket, oozing a nice ink stain onto my jeans.

Since then I have NEVER clipped the pen to my pocket, but just dropped it in loose. As I said above, like that it has never leaked in the last four or five years, nor has the cap ever come off (when not held by the clip, if the pen rubs or moves about in my pocket, the cap and barrel move together and stay screwed tight to each other). I consider the time it did separate to be my fault because of the way I clipped it rather than the pen's.

Pelikan M150 - I keep in a pen case. It doesn't leak, but the cap is not a tight enough fit. About a quarter of a screw is all that is needed to take it off. If it is in my pocket (clipped or not) the cap comes off too easily.

I have a couple of Chinese pens, that also tend to live in my pen case, because they leak if bounced around. Sometimes that might be just a little ink around the section so I get inky fingers when I take it out to write. One or two of them leak so badly that the ink will leak out of the cap. They tend to sit on my desk and not be carried around. If used at all. My favourite - a White Feather - is ok to carry about If I am sure to keep it upright. (It does leak if carried nib down).

Just as an aside... I'm very tempted by a Varuna Kavi. Can anyone out there give me any advice as to its tendency to leak if carried about? If it needs to be carried in a case then I am less likely to take it out and use it. I want a pen that can safely live in my jeans pocket. My work involves more moving around than sitting at a desk, and I need to be able to carry it with me.

Edited by rbuchanan

After losing quite a number of fountain pens when packed conveniently in to my shoulder bag - I made it a habit to take no more than 5 in a pen case and to stash it in my inside pocket - touch wood - I haven't lost any.

( I hope the ones I did lose are found by people who are going to be 'won over' by the joys of 'iridium' and 'ink' gliding on paper :) )