The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

St Dupont Ballpoint Authenticity- Please Help

st dupont ballpoint olympio authenticity fake genuine query

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katiek8

katiek8

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:39

Hi, 

I realise this forum is for fountain pens. But can't find details on a ballpoint and thought someone here may know about it- or point me to somewhere where I can read more.

I'm giving a S.T. Dupont Olympio Ballpoint as a gift, as I can't afford a new one I've opted for a second hand one. 

I believed that S.T. Dupont wasn't the sort of brand that attracted counterfeiters, however after doing some research I've become concerned. 

Are fake ballpoints common? Is there anyway to detect one? Should the leaf logo be etched on to the lacquer as in the case of the fountain pen?

A few ads have said that the pen has the leaf logo- but show no pictures of it and all seem to be using the same text- including serial number and typo. So I'm not giving them much weight.

I read on another forum thread that an article has been written about ST Dupont authenticity- but I can't get the link to work.

I have attached some photos. 

Thank you (in advance) for taking the time to consider this,

Katie

*edited to add full size pics

Attached Images

• full size 1.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 9.51.20 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 9.51.27 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 9.51.33 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 9.51.40 AM.png
  • full size 2.JPG
  • full size 4.JPG
  • full size 3.JPG

Edited by katiek8, 15 November 2013 - 01:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:13

There are several different pens included in your pictures, some of which look to be pencils.

Unfortunately ST Dupont ball points are quite commonly faked.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 katiek8

katiek8

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:22

Thanks for that Jar. :) I've seen you on the other threads and appreciate your input.

One has the mechanical pencil inserted. Apparently you can swap between ink and pencil with these models.

These photos are from two listings, crossing fingers that one could be real, as I can't really afford more than $150-200 aud.

I immediately wrote off the brand-new-with-papers at this price. But hoped as one is without box and the other's box is damaged + fitted as a pencil that it could be possible.

Just so hard to find info as to how the models should look or for telltale counterfeit signs.

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 15:51

Thanks for that Jar. :) I've seen you on the other threads and appreciate your input.

One has the mechanical pencil inserted. Apparently you can swap between ink and pencil with these models.

These photos are from two listings, crossing fingers that one could be real, as I can't really afford more than $150-200 aud.

I immediately wrote off the brand-new-with-papers at this price. But hoped as one is without box and the other's box is damaged + fitted as a pencil that it could be possible.

Just so hard to find info as to how the models should look or for telltale counterfeit signs.

Unfortunately such signs are almost impossible to see unless you have two samples, one real, one fake, side by side in real life.  The things to look for are also usually not where it is easy to spot.  On a real ST Dupont those parts and places that don't show are finished to the same high standard as the parts that do show.  Look at the underside of the nib, inside of bodies, underside of clip, the feel when capping a fountain pen or roller ball, operating the pencil or ballpoint; they should all feel as though the motions are guided, like docking using tractor beams.

Other signs would be an 18K nib on a pen that should have a 14k nib or even nibs that hold a magnet.

And even I have been fooled at times.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 katiek8

katiek8

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2013 - 23:47

Thanks Jar,
I think I'll settle for a cheaper one in the range from a reputable supplier. The ebay ones are still around $200- so not worth the risk. I'll get a Defi or a Elysee and save the Olympio for later; maybe in the fountain pen model :)
Thanks for your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: st dupont, ballpoint, olympio, authenticity, fake, genuine, query

Sponsored Content

|