RainbowsHurt

Another pen I'd consider if I were in your position is the Sailor HighAce Neo. Although it's listed as a "F" as opposed to an "EF" like the Penmanship, I think you'll find the nib comparable as far as line width goes. In my experience, the HighAce Neo is quite smooth for such a fine steel nib. At $15 - it's definitely worth a look.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parnesh

• grainweevil

• RainbowsHurt

• WirsPlm

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just done this (dropped my MR on the floor nib-down, it was still useable but never really recovered), it was super easy. The Penmanship nib is definitely much scratchier than the Fine MR nib (before it was dropped, that is), and I don't know that smoothing will really make it that much better. It seems a little scratchier than before (heavier metal pen body pressing down harder?), but works very well and the swap took only about a minute. Highly lubricated inks (Noodler's X-Feather, the Eel inks) are probably going to feature heavily in this pen's future.

And now, I've got a disassembled Penmanship body that I have no idea what to do with, not really useful for anything besides being a Penmanship (maybe a PIF if someone wants it?).

I'm also in Canada so I know how difficult getting stuff shipped here cheaply is...

I actually bought a Pilot MR F as well as some 78G F from pokydady on eBay a while back. First time getting Pilot pens and I wasn't disappointed. The nibs were all lovely, hardly requiring any adjusting. (And pokydady somehow got the pens to me in a week, rather than the average 3 weeks from Hong Kong)

The MR is very nice, slight heft to it. Very sturdy pen. However I tend to use the 78G as my everyday pens The nibs are just as nice and I like how light they are, which is convenient for quick note taking in class.

I did accidentally drop the MR on its nib though, and although I managed to straighten the tines, the nib seems to have developed a slight baby bottom that I can't seem to fix. I've just ordered another few 78G from pokydady as well as a Metropolitan M from Jetpens. Planning on switching around the nibs Turns out shipping from Jetpens isn't that expensive, around $10. And the pen itself is around $15. So together it's actually around the same price as a MR from pokydady.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files