Problems With Pilot Fa Nib

tor99

Hi,

I just bought a Pilot Custom 742 with a FA nib. It writes beautiful, with nice line variations at times, but most of the time it is a pita. No ink.

I have read here that other users have had similar problems, causing everything from lost temper to domestic violence. I hope there are some adjustments that may be applied to mitigate the problem.

Using the CON-70 converter that came with the pen was no good. I have ordered both Con-20 and -50 to see if they work better, other user experience suggest this. In the meantime I use a Pilot cartridge.

As can be seen in the first picture below, the pen is capable of decent line variation, and provides enough ink to continue with the scribbling for a long time given the pen is not lifted. If lifted ever so slightly from the paper, the ink flow stops. Must "restart" the nib by sideways motions, or most often by writing "upside down". The "upside down" writing forces the tines together, enabling a sufficiently small channel for capillary forces to do its thing.

Picture 2 shows the nib up close after flexing it a bit. There are two issues.

1. The tines will stay separated, they don't move all the way back to the starting point (some kind of mechanical hysteresis:)

2. The nib assembles a lot of ink on the upper surface during storage. After being capped for short or long time, the nib is always very "inky".

I can usually correct the faulty ink flow by turning the pen and pressing the tip of the nib against the paper, forcing the tines together. But this does not seem like a sound procedure long term. Also this trick will only work intermittently, the ink flow will stop before long anyway.

Anyone have a suggestion for what I can do to correct the problem? When working this pen definitely has the potential to be a new favourite:-)

Picture 1. Pen able to deliver sufficient ink and nice line width variation, although intermittent

Pilot+Fa2.jpg

Picture 2. Tines separated after the nib has been flexed.

Pilot+FA.jpg

Thanks,

T

Edited by tor99

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• risingsun

• tguk911

• bobaroo

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert, but I am going to guess that the nib has been flexed beyond normal expectations and the tine separation isn't allowing for proper capillary flow back to the tipping. That line variation looks more like wet noodle stuff, rather than just typical. But, again, I am no expert.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I have used the CON-70 with my Pilot Falcon and can confirm - it can be problematic with some inks, in that the ink has too much surface tension, and will get itself stuck up inside the converter body behind an air bubble. The newer CON-50 (with the metal agitator) works better, but doesn't hold as much ink. The CON-20 is pretty foolproof, and slightly more capacity than the CON-50.

That nib's been pushed to the limit... and a flex beyond!

Edited by bobaroo

It definitely looks like there is a gap between the tines increasing in size from the breather hold which is the opposite of ideal, if there is too much space between the tines it will not allow the ink to reach the tip of the nib which seems to be your problem. This is happens when a nib is sprung but I can't tell if thats the case with your nib or not. If it is then you'll most likely have to send it in for a new nib since your cannot repair a sprung nib. The reason it will start back up when you write upside down is because the tines are being pushed closer together but when flipped around the tines will begin to spread again. Did you buy this from a retailer or did you buy it from a private seller? I have a Metal Falcon and but I used to have the same exact pen but I sold it and I can say I never had a problem with it nor with my Con-70 converter which I think is the best Pilot Converter.

http://richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/beyond.htm

The end of the article has some info about nib slits.

Edited by tguk911

Hi,

The nib appears to be sprung. It can be repaired to a certain extent, but it might not be the same. You might not want to try flexing the nib that much.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I did the same thing to mine when I got too enthusiastic writing a large (about three lines spaces high) note at work. It then quit writing, and close examination revealed it was sprung. I couldn't bend it back together without taking it out of the section - it just pulls out, friction fit. I was able to bend it back into shape, but it's not as strong as it was, and I had to repeat the procedure after a more modest flex. Now I pretty much baby it. For normal size writing, one space of wide rule, it will still flex and return if I don't push it too hard. I find the nib as flexible as my best vintage flexes, but it doesn't have the same resilience, the same bounce back ability.

It also helps to use Pilot ink. Some other brands don't flow well enough to keep up with the nib. With Pilot Blue Black, it's a pretty wet pen, and very seldom suffers from hard starts.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg