I'm Sure This Has Been Done Many Times Before... But Look At My New Baby!

vmv84

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/15/de/97/15de9734c8d4fb9be730838d8ac2beb4.jpg

Pelikan M805 capped

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/originals/37/3d/4c/373d4c8b9d9d018e565d5f384dad1485.jpg

Uncapped ...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/69/5d/a7/695da7756c1c98b7c8ebe34b12d9c81f.jpg

Please excuse the scrabbly writing :ninja:

Oh, and I know the pics are kind of dark but I was working with quickly fading sunlight and a rubbish camera phone... :D

I just wanted to share my joy at finally getting the fountain pen I've been wanting for the best part of 4 or 5 years. The only other expensive fountain pen I own is a Montblanc and that was a gift from my grandfather. My other fountain pens are quite cheap in comparison. The other pen that was my 'grail pen' for some time (and in the back of my mind still is really), was the Pelikan M400 white tortoise - that thing is sooo beautiful. Maybe one day I'll get that.

Oh, and if you can't read my writing, the pen is a Pelikan M805 in blue/black with a broad nib. The ink is Diamine Teal. The paper is Kokuyo College notebook. The quote is the opening sentence of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

I originally got the fine nib, which while very smooth I found to be skippy, and I don't think I liked the line it created so much so I exchanged the nib for a broad, which I think suits my writing better. It's a very smooth, wet writer with minimal skipping. I'm happy with the line variation it gives and the shading it adds to the more vibrant ink colours I sometimes use. I also find the nib to be quite springy - when I press harder on the page I get a much broader line and that's nice when I want to write really large curly letters.

All in all, I'm very happy with this pen and look forward to using it in my notebooks at home and at work.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vmv84

• gistar

• beak

• bobaroo

My M805 with broad nib is always in my pocket; my daily pen. Hard to imagine anything else replacing it.

I like the amount of variation in this modern nib; not too much (which I find makes the writing too spiky and tiring to read) - but just enough to give interest without distracting.

Good choice.

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

My M805 with broad nib is always in my pocket; my daily pen. Hard to imagine anything else replacing it.

I like the amount of variation in this modern nib; not to much (which I find makes the writing too spiky and tiring to read) - but just enough to give interest without distracting.

Good choice.

Hi beak

I definitely agree with you. I've been using it regularly at work and my other pens have sort of been left by the wayside for now...

Congratulations. Of course you cannot really call it a "baby" :) especially its nib, unless you compare it with its big brother ;) . But beautiful it certainly is. Congratulations again.

Gistar

Very nice example of it as well. Enjoy!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Congrats! Nothing nicer than a M800 to write with! Love the blue stripes best.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Congratulations. Of course you cannot really call it a "baby" :) especially its nib, unless you compare it with its big brother ;) . But beautiful it certainly is. Congratulations again.

You're right. I can't really describe a pen with a nib that size as a baby.... but it's still MY baby :)

Very nice example of it as well. Enjoy!!

Thanks!

Congrats! Nothing nicer than a M800 to write with! Love the blue stripes best.

Yes the stripes make it a real looker!

Like the quote.

One of my favourite books :)

Enjoy your pen!

I have a blue-black 805 too, albeit with an EF nib; one of my favourit writers.

To my mind, the rhodium trim is beautiful, both on the blue and the black version.

Regards,

Rob

rowingbiker

Paterswolde, The Netherlands

Congrats on you new Pelikan. Yep, we love sharing our new "babies", don't we? And we don't get tired of cooing over those of others. I hope you'll enjoy your 805 as much as I do mine. They are substantial pens and a real joy to write with.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Enjoy your pen!

I have a blue-black 805 too, albeit with an EF nib; one of my favourit writers.

To my mind, the rhodium trim is beautiful, both on the blue and the black version.

Regards,

Rob

That's exactly why I chose the 8O5 over the 800. I prefer it to the gold.

Congrats on you new Pelikan. Yep, we love sharing our new "babies", don't we? And we don't get tired of cooing over those of others. I hope you'll enjoy your 805 as much as I do mine. They are substantial pens and a real joy to write with.

I'm looking around at all the different inks I want to try in it now - trying to make really good use of that nib. Some deep, rich blues with lots of shading will be lovely :)

There MAY be other pens as good, but IMO nothing better than a Pelikan 800! Good for you!

You may be right... but then, why can't I stop buying pens?

You may be right... but then, why can't I stop buying pens?

In saying that, within a week I spotted a pen online, I immediately wanted it, and so I got it...

• 4 weeks later...

It sure is a great pen. I thought that my M800 was big when I bought if, but after a number of years in my pocket (and a few bigger pens later) it does feel like a real baby to me.