The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How Do I Measure A Section For A Nib?

replacement nib section

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scrivelry

scrivelry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:32

So...

I have in my possession some really tiny pens - with the cap on they are only three and a quarter inches long.

They have been extremely polite so far - section came out with a very little gentle persuasion, most of old dried sac seems to be out, the feed pulled right out of the section so clearly I don't need a block to get it out -

But they have no nibs.  And they are tiny.  It seems self-evident to me that a Sheaffer school pen nib is going to look like Goliath next to these things, just to give  a sense of them, and I need nibs for them.

How do I measure for such a thing?  And once I have, where do I start looking for them?

Thank you

T

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:37

With the section in the pen, put the cap on the pen - then put a piece of non acid masking tape or something on the barrel at the edge of the cap.

Now with the cap off you'll know where the cap will end on your barrel.

Put a tiny thin stick into the cap until it reaches the end of the cap.  Put your thumb nail on the stick at the edge of the cap, thus getting an idea of depth.  Put this stick with your thumbnail still against it, next to your pen where the tape mark is, so you can see how far above your section the end of the cap is.  The nib has to be smaller than that.

I hope that's clear.

:)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 scrivelry

scrivelry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:54

With the section in the pen, put the cap on the pen - then put a piece of non acid masking tape or something on the barrel at the edge of the cap.

Now with the cap off you'll know where the cap will end on your barrel.

Put a tiny thin stick into the cap until it reaches the end of the cap.  Put your thumb nail on the stick at the edge of the cap, thus getting an idea of depth.  Put this stick with your thumbnail still against it, next to your pen where the tape mark is, so you can see how far above your section the end of the cap is.  The nib has to be smaller than that.

I hope that's clear.

:)

Yes, that is clear, thank you!    Now I just have to figure out how to get one narrow enough, but that looks like it may be easier to sort of eyeball...

(Well, yes, I do feel like I'm on a train hurtling down a mountain towards a wall, but I'm not there yet, I may be able to do something... :lticaptd:)

T

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: replacement nib, section

Sponsored Content

|