Twsbi Diamond 580 Black Rosegold Fountain Pen

amberleadavis

Sorry for the delay in responding - this is a fine nib.

No worries. I just received my clear TWSBI medium nib from Goulet Pens. And bought some Noodlers North African Violet to ink it up.

Really nice. Nib is just slightly narrower than my Lamy Safari medium nib which was a bit too wide. This seems just right to me.

For anyone that has never purchased anything from Goulet yet I would encourage it. My first purchase with them. Very personalized and fantastic packaging.

Enjoy your pen!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• amberleadavis

• Sham69

• OakIris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm holding out until X-mas, I've put a copy of it on the fridge in case anyone is looking for ideas. :)

Wouldn't it make more sense to put up something more expensive on the refri and buy this one for yourself? :rolleyes:

Sorry to report that my Rose Gold is on its way back to the supplier. Suffers from ink starvation - starts juicy but then completely dries up after writing a side of A4. I'm very disappointed.

( I did read a lot of criticisms about the 580 nib/feed but love the look of this beautiful pen so took a chance. Sadly seems that inconsistent quality is still an issue).

Verba volant, scripta manent

My new broad nib rose gold 580 is functionally flawless. Performance easily matches my most favored M800 and Homo Sapiens. Plus, it's gorgeous!

received a new nib today this one is flawless @drone they paid for the fastest fedex shipping all the way to australia with the new nib and included a bottle of diamine jet black which is not my favourite but is a very kind gesture.

but then again i excepted them to at least ship out a new nib by the severity of what was wrong with mine!

but +1 for twsbi customer service but this could have been stopped at the assembly line

Sorry to report that my Rose Gold is on its way back to the supplier. Suffers from ink starvation - starts juicy but then completely dries up after writing a side of A4. I'm very disappointed.

( I did read a lot of criticisms about the 580 nib/feed but love the look of this beautiful pen so took a chance. Sadly seems that inconsistent quality is still an issue).

that is for sure! the first rose gold pen they sent me had one tine overlapping the other, and was almost beyond repair especially because it is a steel nib, not the most malleable luckily they sent me a new one but this should have been stopped at the assembly line

I returned my faulty 580 Rose Gold to the retailer on Thursday. (Didn't even cross my mind to return it to TWSBI themselves). The supplier (Cultpens) responded immediately to my original emailed complaint on Wednesday, I sent it back to them on Thursday, they acknowledged receipt on Friday and sent me 2 emails telling me what they'd done (tested, agreed with my diagnosis, scrapped the nib, fitted completely new nib), and they posted it back the same day. I got it this morning. They refunded my costs, and sent me a small gift because of the inconvenience & it was resolved in 2 days. And the pen now works. So although I was not happy with TWSBI's manufacturing standards, I couldn't have been treated better by CultPens.

Hopefully, a happy ending........

TWSBI 580 Rose Gold Nib Options (as of my post time/date)...

I am wondering if Rose Gold nib units would be available for the TWSBI-580RG pen. I went to the TWSBI Twitter page on 24 Nov. 2013 (UTC+7 hrs):

https://twitter.com/twsbi

And saw this 07 Nov. 2013 reply from TWSBI at:

https://twitter.com/twsbi/status/398579829609463808

"...sorry, we don't sell the rose gold nibs separately. But a regular 580 nib will fit on the rose gold pen"

So at my post date, the "regular" TWSBI-580 is available with the following nibs which (if in stock) can be purchased separately:

EF, F, M, B, 1.1mm, & 1.5mm

But the TWSBI-580RG is only available with the following nib options:

EF, F, M, & B

And you can't purchase separate Rose Gold nib units.

Bummer...

One question to those here on FPN:

Goulet Pens sells JoWo #6 nibs in steel and gold-tone. Has anyone tried replacing a nib in a TWSBI-580 nib unit with one of these Goulet nibs? I also wonder how the Gold Tone Goulet #6 nibs match in compared with the color the Rose Gold plating on the TWSBI-580RG?

Edited by Drone

Goulet Pens sells JoWo #6 nibs in steel and gold-tone. Has anyone tried replacing a nib in a TWSBI-580 nib unit with one of these Goulet nibs? I also wonder how the Gold Tone Goulet #6 nibs match in compared with the color the Rose Gold plating on the TWSBI-580RG?

I only have the Rose Gold TWSBI, but comparing it to other, non-TWSBI, standard gold-tone pens it has a distinctly pinkish finish compared to yellow gold. I think a yellow gold nib would look odd juxtapositioned next to the rose gold band at the bottom of the 580RG section.

It would not surprise me if the other nib sizes/stubs became available soon enough- it seems TWSBI usually releases stub options after the initial release of a pen. At least, they have done so in the past. So they may be doing the same thing here.

My TWSBI-580 Rose Gold with M-Nib arrived in Jakarta this afternoon (Mon. 25 Nov. 2013 UTC+7Hrs).

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I asked Goulet Pens to check the pen for defects before shipping it to me as returning a defective pen at this price level from Jakarta is pretty much out of the question.

And check it they did. I was pleasantly surprised to see the note below from Drew Brown at Goulet Pens. The note was neatly folded and inserted into the TWSBI box:

post-52315-0-52518100-1385376854_thumb.jpg

Thanks Drew! Nothing but wonderful service from Goulet Pens...

My 580 is flawless. This is my first TWSBI pen. The nib is as it should be, quite smooth out of the box. No flow issues seen inked from the new bottle of Diamine Bilberry that came with the 580. BTW, Bilberry is a nice lavender-ish ink, but I'm not seeing the sheen others have seen with it in the TWSBI-580RG. Maybe I'll try Bilberry with a juicy stub or flex nib next and see if the sheen appears.

One thing that bugs me about the 580 though is how heavy the cap is. I normally write with the cap posted. But this pen may not work-out posted as the cap seems to unbalance the pen a bit too much.

I know, I know - the 580 may not have been designed to work posted. After-all, there's no blind cap so you end up having to post to the knob, which is not ideal. But why did TWSBI have to make the cap so darn heavy? It just exacerbates the issue. Oh well... I'll see how it goes over time. I like the pen enough to keep it around and give it a chance.

By the way, just to give you an idea of how much it costs to buy, ship and import a pen like the TWSBI-580 from the U.S. to Jakarta, Indonesia, here's the breakdown:

• TWSBI-580RG, Goulet Pens... $70.00
  • USPS 2nd Day Insured to FL, USA... $9.50
  • DHL, FL USA to Jakarta... $34.94
  • Import Duty & Taxes... $14.27
  • Bank Charge... $4.27
  • Document Charge... $1.71
  • Document Handling Charge... $4.27
  • VAT for Other Charges... $0.60
  • Total... $139.57

I have to use DHL. The State-run Indonesian Postal System is dysfunctional in my experience. FedEx and UPS have clearance issues and tack on more fees. Actually I've been told the DHL (only) price from my Forwarder in the U.S. isn't too bad. The DHL cost is for a 25x12x18cm box, 2Kg maximum. DHL from my forwarder in Florida to Jakarta takes three or four days.

In conclusion: My verdict is that the Rose Gold TWSBI-580 is a beautiful pen, as well as a good value. The Rose Gold added just the needed extra 'bling' to make me purchase my first TWSBI pen.

I have just one warning - if you prefer to write posted, you may feel this pen is a bit unbalanced due to the heavy cap. But capped writing is still manageable IMO.

Lighten the cap and put the knob behind a blind cap, and TWSBI would have one of the best pens out there - at any price. But heck - that's just my pen OCD showing through...

Happy Writing, David

Dipping my nib in (still pretty new here) ..... I fell in love with the rose gold TWSBIs when I first saw them advertised on the TWSBI Facebook page. Wanted the white one, was disappointed when it didn't happen. Ordered the black anyway and am absolutely in love with the look of this pen. It is my first TWSBI, I've been thinking about ordering one for a while. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the nib. At least I think it's the nib. I ordered a Medium, my standard nib in non-Japanese pens, because reviewers all said TWSBIs had a generous ink flow. This one doesn't, but I don't know if it's me or the pen. I've tried it with two different inks so far. I like a generous flow of ink when I write, and using my regular grip this nib skips and goes thick and thin inconsistently. It's not horrible, but definitely not the smooth ride I was expecting from other comments.

I hold my pens fairly lightly, and I can get a nice solid line with this pen if I grip it more tightly, use a slightly lower pen angle and bear down more firmly. This slows down my writing and gives my hand a cramp. Not good. Am undecided whether I should try it with a Broad or italic nib, or ???? Any of you with TWSBI experience have suggestions? Is this generally a wet nib/pen?

I should add that I am a big fan of old gold. I have some rose gold jewelry that belonged to my great-grandmother and I think it is beautiful. Compared to it, modern 14k gold looks brassy and garish. I love, love, love the look of this pen. I just have to get it working better!

'To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time.' -- Leonard Bernstein

I actually am not a fan of rose gold. At all. I know that some people love it, but it never did anything for me. However, I really liked the look of the rose gold 580 and being that I absolutely can't pass up a good TWSBI, I sold off a less-used pen and picked up a RG 580 with a fine nib. I inked it up with a little PR Copper Burst and it's a darn fine writing experience. I think the Rose Gold is very understated and is almost more copper than rose gold so it sort of reminds me of a Visconti Homo Sapiens Copper. It looks really nice with the clear and black and is one of my very favorite pens.

I'm a HUGE fan of demonstrators (most of my pens are) and this one is no exception. It's an awesome blend of classic black/gold and clear demonstrator.

Love it.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

I'm not quite sure what I'm waiting for? I really like this Rose Gold in the Black series, the white is nice too! I need to pull the trigger one of these days and just get this pen!

Edited by Chi Town

I'm not quite sure what I'm waiting for? I really like this Rose Gold in the Black series, the white is nice too! I need to pull the trigger one of these days and just get this pen!

Do it. Come on, just do it already. What are you waiting for? Stop procrastinating. Get on with it. We're not getting any younger. DO IT!

Is this peer pressure helping you out at all?

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Dipping my nib in (still pretty new here) ..... I fell in love with the rose gold TWSBIs when I first saw them advertised on the TWSBI Facebook page. Wanted the white one, was disappointed when it didn't happen. Ordered the black anyway and am absolutely in love with the look of this pen. It is my first TWSBI, I've been thinking about ordering one for a while. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the nib. At least I think it's the nib. I ordered a Medium, my standard nib in non-Japanese pens, because reviewers all said TWSBIs had a generous ink flow. This one doesn't, but I don't know if it's me or the pen. I've tried it with two different inks so far. I like a generous flow of ink when I write, and using my regular grip this nib skips and goes thick and thin inconsistently. It's not horrible, but definitely not the smooth ride I was expecting from other comments.

I hold my pens fairly lightly, and I can get a nice solid line with this pen if I grip it more tightly, use a slightly lower pen angle and bear down more firmly. This slows down my writing and gives my hand a cramp. Not good. Am undecided whether I should try it with a Broad or italic nib, or ???? Any of you with TWSBI experience have suggestions? Is this generally a wet nib/pen?

I should add that I am a big fan of old gold. I have some rose gold jewelry that belonged to my great-grandmother and I think it is beautiful. Compared to it, modern 14k gold looks brassy and garish. I love, love, love the look of this pen. I just have to get it working better!

:W2FPN:

I'm a TWBI fan. I admit, I don't own any Medium nibs, they are all broad or stubs. My most recent TWSBI purchase had the stub and it flows so beautifully that I don't want to put it down.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Do it. Come on, just do it already. What are you waiting for? Stop procrastinating. Get on with it. We're not getting any younger. DO IT!

Is this peer pressure helping you out at all?

Not helping me any!!! :)

I am waiting on this expenditure until I see what these Mini Vacs are going to look and work like (Feb release?) I don't have a mini pen, but I would like one, but the idea of a mini combined with a vac mechanism has gotten me to wait a bit....

Keep in mind, the Vac mini is closer in size to the 580. It's mini compared to the Vac700, but will still be bigger than the regular mini.