Help Me Identify This Gold Sheaffer Please?

Benjo

THIS IS THE PEN!

Thank you so much!

Is there any thanks button etc on this forum?

Final Question for you, if you don't mind? How do i tell if it is rolled gold, filled gold or plated gold?

it is definitely the pen in the link you provided though :)

thanks again!

Did you look at both the small and large pictures? Note the two types of inlays shown?

On the rolled gold or gold filled models there should be a crown and something like "1/10 14K GF (or RG)" on the cap band. You also need to look at the pattern of lines. Some models have lines and spaces, some have lines with no spaces.

But your pen is definitely one of the 7xx models (unless of course, I'm totally wrong which happens quite often).

My Website

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjo

• jar

• Nathaniel Harter

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you look at both the small and large pictures? Note the two types of inlays shown?

On the rolled gold or gold filled models there should be a crown and something like "1/10 14K GF (or RG)" on the cap band. You also need to look at the pattern of lines. Some models have lines and spaces, some have lines with no spaces.

But your pen is definitely one of the 7xx models (unless of course, I'm totally wrong which happens quite often).

I have the dunce cap Inlay (small Picture), no crown (so guessing gold plated) - the pattern is 4 lines, space, 4 lines, space.

thank you very much for your help!

I have the dunce cap Inlay (small Picture), no crown (so guessing gold plated) - the pattern is 4 lines, space, 4 lines, space.

thank you very much for your help!

Okay, so possibly the 727 instead of the 777.

My Website

I tend to lean to an Imperial 727, the 797 is quiet distinctive with the deep fluted grooves. Really very good pens and generally exceptional value, the nib on yours indicates late model production from around 1980 to '82. That style nib did appear in the early '60s on the Compact cartridge pens not the Target ( which is the Imperial III ).

If its a cartridge/ converter filler than it is a Triumph Imperial 300, if its not that filling system than its not.

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Ok, I was wrong. The 300s have plastic bodies.

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Hi all - so to conclude, this is the 727 IMPERIAL model (inlaid gold nib, gold plated, convertor/cartridge, short white dot clip)? to confuse things further most 727s i see have the skripsert nib? these are not triumphs right, and are different pens?

Hi all - so to conclude, this is the 727 IMPERIAL model (inlaid gold nib, gold plated, convertor/cartridge, short white dot clip)? to confuse things further most 727s i see have the skripsert nib? these are not triumphs right, and are different pens?

Let's see if I can confuse you even more.

Long long ago and far far away a fountain pen company in Ft Madison began imprinting numbers like "350" and "1000" and "1500" on a line by itself on the body of the pen. Many folk believed it was a model number and so proudly said "I have a 1000." to which their companion replied "No you don't, I have a 1000 and look, it is entirely different!"

The problem was that the number was not a model but rather MSRP for the pen.

Time passed and the company evolved and began selling pens like yours which is a 727. But wait, other folk also had a 727 but it wasn't like yours at all?

The problem was that 727 was not a model number but a trim descriptor for a lined pen with gold plating.

Time passed and the company evolved and folk showed up with "300"s and "100"s.

And yes Virginia those are now model numbers and not trim descriptors. And so your interest peaked, you turn again to the almost vintage market and find a pen somewhat similar to the one you have but instead of a long diamond or short diamond or Dunce Cap inlaid nib it has an inset nib with a plastic hump glued on that looks kinda like a Dolphin. And it is marked as a 500. But it is available in several different colors? So what does the "500" mean?

In this case it reverts to the old style of price point, $5.00, $8.00 and "$10.00.

Sheaffer certainly followed the rule that "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Edited by jar

My Website

We have found the gold v-inlay nibs ("dunce cap" seems so judgmental!) on the following pens in our new old stock acquisitions: 440xg, 444xg and the 550.

I've never seen one on a 777 and we went thru about 100 of them. Never had the imperial 727 in large quantities so I can't comment.

FYI, on the steel nibbed 330 and 440 models, we've found the short diamond nibs as well as the v-inlay nibs, all bearing the same model stickers.

Teri

Thank you Jar and Terim, especially, and everybody else for your help!

i paid £40 for this pen, with the reminder ballpoint equivalent - does this seem like a good deal to you guys?

Thank you Jar and Terim, especially, and everybody else for your help!

i paid £40 for this pen, with the reminder ballpoint equivalent - does this seem like a good deal to you guys?

Look at what is available on the market today.

What other 40 quid pen in heavy gold plate with matching ball point and a great provenance is out there?

My Website

Look at what is available on the market today.

What other 40 quid pen in heavy gold plate with matching ball point and a great provenance is out there?

Not a lot of them to be fair - Like i said, im new to sheaffer pens, and have already learnt a fair amount from you guys already.

thanks again.

• 3 years later...

Digging up a very old thread, but thought I could contribute, as I read this and several other threads to help identify my Imperial 777, 12k G.F. (gold-filled w/ crown imprint) w/ the shallow four-lines pattern, and "dunce cap" nib. From what I've pieced together, it's probably '80-'82, given that combination of properties. Unless someone's swapped the nib unit, this combination does seem to exist!

post-135377-0-93658000-1507419117_thumb.jpg