Help Me Identify This Gold Sheaffer Please?

Benjo

Hi All, I hope some of you experts out here can help me and my shared interest in pens!

I have always loved pens, and have quite a collection (dwarfed by some i have seen on here!) My primary interest has always been Parkers, however i recently managed to pick up a very nice looking Sheaffer at an antiques fair - a gold fountain pen, that came with a matching reminder ballpoint.

I have been struggling to identify the following pen - please note the round opposed to square bottom of an imperial, please also note the arrowhead style inlaid nib (marked 14k with 585 and USA). The pen has gold lines running down it, no crown making on the lid. There is the white dot on the clip that i have seen very many times. it is shorter than some sheaffers i have seen of similar style and is quite "tubular"

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

post-108103-0-50364800-1383564541_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjo

• jar

• Nathaniel Harter

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First impresion: A Triumph Imperial (c.1995-1998), 23k gold electroplate trim, catalog number 2797 - but looking at the pictures I'm not so sure it's a much. The barrel end seems to be not tapered enough and it's 14k nib. So I guess, it might be the right name (Imperial Triumph) but much earlier period of production. The pen is a c/c and the pattern is 4 lines - blank space - 4 lines?

Edited by mac.kozinsky

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

I have one thats blue and bushed chrome

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Thanks for the quick response guys- the Answer "imperial" is quite vague (i knew it was an imperial or quasi-imperial) - was kind of hoping for a few more details!

I know it is not the model that mac stated (picture attached) as the bottom is fully rounded and not tapered and the clip is nowhere near as long (which lead me to think maybe it is not an imperial after all?)

The 777 sounds about right, looks wise, but the nib is has a cut off arrow head kind of design opposed to the usual inlaid nib i have seen around - the clip is also nowhere near as long as the clip with the white dot on all of the pictures i have seen on the 777 pen posted around the internet?

any more ideas people?

post-108103-0-50426700-1383573054_thumb.png

Here is a final picture of the pen with its counterpart, in the box.

Thanks for all your help guys - there are so many similar sheaffers, its a minefield - makes collecting them very in interesting though.

post-108103-0-92043700-1383573930_thumb.jpg

First impresion: A Triumph Imperial (c.1995-1998), 23k gold electroplate trim, catalog number 2797 - but looking at the pictures I'm not so sure it's a much. The barrel end seems to be not tapered enough and it's 14k nib. So I guess, it might be the right name (Imperial Triumph) but much earlier period of production. The pen is a c/c and the pattern is 4 lines - blank space - 4 lines?

Hi - yes the pattern is 4 lines space, space. Im not sure what a c/c is, but if you mean it has a cartridge converter, then yes it is - it has a similar aeromatic innard to a Parker, but it is removable as a whole piece, opposed to being fixed.

This is an earlier example than the 2797; in the 1970s/80s the Imperial and/or Triumph line had relatively short clips, and the "dunce cap" inlay was something they also used intermittently in that period. I'm not right up on the model numbers (sheaffertarga.com is an excellent resource for that) but Imperial 777 sounds about right.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

This is an earlier example than the 2797; in the 1970s/80s the Imperial and/or Triumph line had relatively short clips, and the "dunce cap" inlay was something they also used intermittently in that period. I'm not right up on the model numbers (sheaffertarga.com is an excellent resource for that) but Imperial 777 sounds about right.

Hi Ernst - thank you!

so this is a 777 from the 70s to eighties?

Could you please elaborate as to what the dunce cap inlay may be?

i love this pen, and i cannot for the life of me seem to find the exact model etc (i will try the website you suggested) - Im a bit obsessive with knowing the names of the pens i own (guess i should never have bought a sheaffer then!)

Thanks again :)

Edit:

I found this post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/112074-interesting-777-imperial-tidbit/

do you think this could be the pen? (Far left) it looks identical, except for the nib being of the non-arrowhead style?

post-225-1245519370.jpg

edit2:i also found this 7xx pen that again is not the same (notice the lines do not extend the full length of the pen whereas they do in my pen?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6108/snc00203.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/107872-my-new-golden-triumph/

how many sheaffer pens are very similar!?

Edited by Benjo

As far as the "dunce cap" goes, had a look at the second picture you posted; this is differentiates from diamond inlays, as in the previous picture, which come in long and short versions to help confuse matters.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

As far as the "dunce cap" goes, had a look at the second picture you posted; this is differentiates from diamond inlays, as in the previous picture, which come in long and short versions to help confuse matters.

Im confused more now hhaha. both pictures i posted are of the same pen? or do you mean in my last post (not my pen) - what is this dunce cap you speak of?

Edited by Benjo

The inlaid nib with the concave base is what I always called the "Dunce Cap" inlay. It is not an official designation but has caught on as a way to differentiate between the various iterations of the inlaid nib. There is the small or truncated diamond, the long diamond and the Dunce Cap as examples.

My Website

The inlaid nib with the concave base is what I always called the "Dunce Cap" inlay. It is not an official designation but has caught on as a way to differentiate between the various iterations of the inlaid nib. There is the small or truncated diamond, the long diamond and the Dunce Cap as examples.

I think im getting you now - thanks for the explanation Jar!

there are 3 kinds of inlaid nib, and mine is of the dunce cap variety.

Is this inlay an indicator of the age/model of the pen?

I think im getting you now - thanks for the explanation Jar!

there are 3 kinds of inlaid nib, and mine is of the dunce cap variety.

Is this inlay an indicator of the age/model of the pen?

You'd think so.

Unfortunately I've yet to figure out many things Sheaffer did.

The Dunce Cap nib first appears IIRC on the Target which preceded the Imperials but then disappears for about a decade only to reappear in the late 70s on the Triumph Imperials. Of course, both the long and short diamond inlays also wander in and out of the line through it all. By the 80's it is mostly the short diamond and the Dunce Cap.

My Website

You'd think so.

Unfortunately I've yet to figure out many things Sheaffer did.

The Dunce Cap nib first appears IIRC on the Target which preceded the Imperials but then disappears for about a decade only to reappear in the late 70s on the Triumph Imperials. Of course, both the long and short diamond inlays also wander in and out of the line through it all. By the 80's it is mostly the short diamond and the Dunce Cap.

Thanks for the detailed info. so, to be quite frank, there is likely no way, just by posting pictures of my newly acquired pen, that i will actually be able to identify which sheaffer this pen is?

I quite like the mystery, but on the other hand... I'm a need to know kind of guy!

Thanks for the detailed info. so, to be quite frank, there is likely no way, just by posting pictures of my newly acquired pen, that i will actually be able to identify which sheaffer this pen is?

I quite like the mystery, but on the other hand... I'm a need to know kind of guy!

Not quite. As others have said it i likely a 7xx series pen from the late 70's early 80's. The difference will be whether the cap and barrel are Rolled Gold/Gold Filled or Gold Plated and in the pattern of the lines.

If Gold Filled or Rolled Gold it will be the 777. If Gold plated it will be the 727 or 797.

Note, I've seen examples of those with both types of inlaid nibs. Look at this page from Sheaffer Targa.com. Look familiar? Now click on large size image.

My Website

Not quite. As others have said it i likely a 7xx series pen from the late 70's early 80's. The difference will be whether the cap and barrel are Rolled Gold/Gold Filled or Gold Plated and in the pattern of the lines.

If Gold Filled or Rolled Gold it will be the 777. If Gold plated it will be the 727 or 797.

Note, I've seen examples of those with both types of inlaid nibs. Look at this page from Sheaffer Targa.com. Look familiar? Now click on large size image.

THIS IS THE PEN!

Thank you so much!

Is there any thanks button etc on this forum?

Final Question for you, if you don't mind? How do i tell if it is rolled gold, filled gold or plated gold?

it is definitely the pen in the link you provided though :)

thanks again!