• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wuhao

• whoelse

• Pickwick

• Inkstone

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Duke pen really given to VIP during APEC event? Are there high-end model that is built in higher material and quality to compete with brand like Sailor etc?

Are Duke pen really given to VIP during APEC event? Are there high-end model that is built in higher material and quality to compete with brand like Sailor etc?

I don't know why so many people discuss Duke in this bbs。Duke is rubbish.If you go to the Specialty Store Retailer ,the seller would tell Duke is a German brand not a Chinese brand.Duke never focus on fountain pen writing quality.

Duke really given to VIP during APEC in 2001 Shanhai but it just because this company is rich.It is impossible for Duke to compete with Sailor etc .

A famous fountain pen BBS in Chinese forbid Duke and Picasoo discussing because both of them are frauds.

I don't know why so many people discuss Duke in this bbs。Duke is rubbish.If you go to the Specialty Store Retailer ,the seller would tell Duke is a German brand not a Chinese brand.Duke never focus on fountain pen writing quality.

Duke really given to VIP during APEC in 2001 Shanhai but it just because this company is rich.It is impossible for Duke to compete with Sailor etc .

A famous fountain pen BBS in Chinese forbid Duke and Picasoo discussing because both of them are frauds.

So what is your opinion about Chinese brand and best quality model?

Hero 100 yongsheng(i don't know how to translate this brand, it means live forever )101

The old Hero 100 is more than 200 rmb in Chinese markets.Yongsheng 101 is more than 200 rmb too.Yongsheng 101 is very hot in the Chinese old fountain pen markets ,2 mouths ago it is less then 180 rmb but now you need to pay more 30 rmb.The 90s NOS Hero 100 is more than 450rmb.

"Yongsheng" is marked "Wing Sung", and the firm ceased manufacturing quite some years ago. It's been reported that about a year or two ago, a couple of somewhat shady individuals in Wengang started making pens under the "Yongsheng" name but using the old Wing Sung trademark and name in Chinese, the local customers only read the Chinese name but not that in English, thus thinking it's the real deal, but there have been at least one first-hand report of their very inferior workmanship. For us it would be much easier as we read "Wing Sung" instead. That said, fraudulent examples of Wing Sung pens have been reported as well including the iconic 612.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Q: What is your opinion on the blatant design copying of existing pen brands by some Chinese companies? How to Chinese people feel about this issue?

Example: Hero vs Lamy, but many, many more, difficult to find something that is unique and original.

Copying, in an attempt to progress, to make things better is acceptable as a part of the evolution in the industry, but I do not see novel inventions or improvements but just copying.

I am just saying this as at some point, Chinese companies will wish to expand their market to include the premium clientele. Normally, for companies who start off this way, it takes decades of effort involving sweat, blood and tears to prove themselves. Any comments on the future of Chinese companies?

I am from Singapore but I am local born Chinese, I speak mandarin, Cantonese and a few other Chinese dialect. Yongsheng 永生, same word read in Cantonese is Wingsung.

How is the Hero 200A? Seems to be model against Parker 75 and how are model like Hero 1000?

"Yongsheng" is marked "Wing Sung", and the firm ceased manufacturing quite some years ago. It's been reported that about a year or two ago, a couple of somewhat shady individuals in Wengang started making pens under the "Yongsheng" name but using the old Wing Sung trademark and name in Chinese, the local customers only read the Chinese name but not that in English, thus thinking it's the real deal, but there have been at least one first-hand report of their very inferior workmanship. For us it would be much easier as we read "Wing Sung" instead. That said, fraudulent examples of Wing Sung pens have been reported as well including the iconic 612.

Thank you for sharing

Wing Sung must be the Guangdong pronunciation.

It's not surprised to find fraudulent examples of fountain pen in Chinese market.You can buy fake Hero 616,100,Lamy safari,MontBlanc 146,149 and some limited edition.

Edited by wuhao

Q: What is your opinion on the blatant design copying of existing pen brands by some Chinese companies? How to Chinese people feel about this issue?

Example: Hero vs Lamy, but many, many more, difficult to find something that is unique and original.

Copying, in an attempt to progress, to make things better is acceptable as a part of the evolution in the industry, but I do not see novel inventions or improvements but just copying.

I am just saying this as at some point, Chinese companies will wish to expand their market to include the premium clientele. Normally, for companies who start off this way, it takes decades of effort involving sweat, blood and tears to prove themselves. Any comments on the future of Chinese companies?

A:If you are talking about the Hero copy the Lamy .It's unclear to draw the conclusion who make the decision to copy Lamy safari.Parker own a 49% stake of Hero in 2012.And the Hero 359 come onto the market just a few mouths ago.

When the Hero 359 come onto the market,everybody start reproving this company on the fountain pen bbs of China.The sales volume at taobao.com is much much lower than the traditional iconic(any grammatical error?)

I've never heard an explanation for why Wing Sung shut down, I'm hoping you can enlighten us? My Wing Sung 400 is easily one of the best non-Japanese pens I have (the section is too narrow, but that is a matter of taste (and hand size), not quality), and they seem to be better quality than most other Chinese brands in general.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I've never heard an explanation for why Wing Sung shut down, I'm hoping you can enlighten us? My Wing Sung 400 is easily one of the best non-Japanese pens I have (the section is too narrow, but that is a matter of taste (and hand size), not quality), and they seem to be better quality than most other Chinese brands in general.

I read somewhere that Wingsung was a sub-division of Hero?

Wing sung can't make money by producing fountain pen after a lot of people stop using fountain pen. Hero buy Wing sung in 1999.

Wing sung was as famous as Hero in 50s 60s.Hero 100 and Wing sung 101 are the best fountain pen in that period.

The quality of Wing sung 101 is better.The barrel of 101 is more thick .The cap of 101 is more solid.

Wing sung 400 is similar to Hero 200,but 400 is much better.

Edited by wuhao

I am from Singapore but I am local born Chinese, I speak mandarin, Cantonese and a few other Chinese dialect. Yongsheng 永生, same word read in Cantonese is Wingsung.

How is the Hero 200A? Seems to be model against Parker 75 and how are model like Hero 1000?

If you like Hero 200,you'd better try Wing sung 400.

Apart from the two major makers in Shanghai (Hero and Wing Sung), another major maker was Golden Star (also rendered as Jinxing or Kin Sin, but to be a hair-splitter it should really be Kim Seong). The company, if still nominally operational, has ceased to produce pens, although there was a resurgence in 2003 which produced some of the most astounding pens, even in a global standard. Unfortunately that ran out of puff as they focussed on the most exclusive and luxurious pens geared towards well-heeled collectors.

I am aware of dozens, perhaps more than a hundred different Chinese makers over the decades. Oddly enough one of my favourite makers is the now defunct Yongjiu based in Shaoyang city in Hunan; they never had a very extensive range but they work very well.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.