The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

German "goldene Laute" Mechanical Pencil

mechanical pencil german light vintage antique

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kaynith

kaynith

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:32

Greetings,

I am a antique and vintage clothing dealer, and I have recently found an interesting mechanical pencil that I would like to learn more about.  I have attached a few pictures of the pencil.  I have already learned about the business that is stenciled on the side, and am more interested in the pen itself.  Particularly in the small glass tube that I found inside.

Attached Images

• photo 1.JPG
  • photo 2.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG
  • photo 4.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 TLab3000

TLab3000

Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 17:11

The glass bulb looks like a light bulb for a car. My car has two bulbs like this to illuminate the number plate. Considering that this was an ad pen for a car park, it would make sense, right?

I don't know when this pen was made, but should it have been made in the GDR, the bulb might be for a Trabant.

#3 kaynith

kaynith

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 17:54

That does make a lot of sense.  I will turn my investigation that way.  Thank you very much for your insight.  If anyone has any other information i would be very grateful.

#4 kaynith

kaynith

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 18:32

I forgot to mention that inside the pencil where the tube sits is a spring to hold it in place and on each end is a metal connection.  I have to admit though, that I am pretty ignorant of pens and pencils, as I haven't delt with many in my business.

Attached Images

• photo 5.JPG
  • photo 6a.JPG

Edited by kaynith, 01 November 2013 - 18:53.

#5 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 21:34

Hello

It`s a tester for electric current. Measuring of 6 Volts (old) or 12 Volts (today) in cars would make sense for the pencil being a give-away from the garage, restaurant and repair shop "Goldene Laute". But it needs a cable from the cap top to the other electric pole. After closing the circuit the glass tube is iluminated. The other possibiliy is a 220 Volts AC (alterning current) tester. The graphit mine could be the electric resistance and after touching the cap top two non touching poles in the glass tube begin to glow in a violet or orange color. Do not touch high current! No guarantee that the user afterwards is iluminated in all colors!

T

#6 kaynith

kaynith

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2013 - 20:06

Thank you!  I very much appreciate your help.  I do come across pens, fountian pens, pencils, and the occasional quill (ok, just once), and now I know where to come for helpful insight as to my finds!  I will refrain from posting sales or auction listings and advertising my itme for sale, but for the record almost everything I post will be for sale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mechanical pencil, german, light, vintage, antique

Sponsored Content

|