Jinhao 601?

whoelse

Right, so I bought one, and received it :).

What a writer, marvellous!

It writes perfect and smooth right out of the box.

For anyone wanting to buy a pen that 'feels' like it is of somewhat higher quality than the 250 or 450, the Jinhao 601 is perfect!

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoelse

• oneill

• docker

• jobodine

Top Posters In This Topic

Just discovered this model a few weeks ago...LOVE the knurled section. Just got the silver in and yes, writes like I like. Have red & blue metallic plus a cool celluloid looking brown/black/cream on the way...on the slow boat. I too have x250, x450 & 750's hanging out and of those mostly like the x450. But with the non tapered and knurled section and super clean lines of this - I might be rethinking my favorite Jinhao model. Good items, these.

i posted here a while back and since the thread got revived, i wanted to add that after a while i started having problems with the nib drying too fast. i just inked it up right now. let me give a try for a couple of days and report back.

ciao, for now

• 2 months later...

I see the Parker Sonnet for $3.89 and free shipping. Is it the real deal or just a good copy?

You can't even buy a Parker Vector for that price. No it's not a real Parker. I see suckers on Ebay paying $30 and up for fake Parker Sonnets, and even more for fake Montblancs. They are branded "Parker" which is trademark infringement.

There is no intellectual property protection for fashion design (whether it's a fountain pen, a dress, a purse, or a car). That's why fancy designer goods often have their trademark plastered all over them. It's tacky but that's the only whey they can get legal protection against copiers. The Jinhao 601 and Baoer 388 are clearly branded Jinhao and Baoer, so they are legal, but to some distasteful.

I like the Jinhao 601, as pointed out the checkered section provides a good grip. I got a Baoer 388 too, it wrote (barely) bone dry, but the body is nice enough I got a Knox nib for it. Both the Baoer and the Jinhao use a standard #5 nib so you have options - but both my Jinhaos write just fine. They also use Chinese/Universal style converters, not the Parker style. The fakes use a copy of the proprietary Parker style nib, and may or may not be compatible with a real one.

I'm personally ok with JinHao/Baoer (same company) taking inspiration from western big name companies as they clearly differentiate themselves and do not try to fool anyone. I love my 159 pens and nobody that knows anything about pen brands would even think they are Mont Blanc pens after looking at them for 1 second. I have tried the real Mont Blanc pens, I even used to own a Mont Blanc, and I still like my JinHaos as what they are: very good pens that will not last a lifetime, and I'm very ok with that.

I do have a problem with the AliExpress vendors clearly pretending that you are getting an actual Parker.

sanyalsoumitra you recommend buying form AliExpress instead of clones such as JinHao ... but it is very unlikely that these are the real deal, so what make you recommend them?

Please note that in any country that has fully signed up to international intellectual property rights treaties, India included, you are committing a criminal offence to knowingly or unknowingly buy a fake.

FPN cannot under any circumstances accept that people are advocating this. Consequently, posts mentioning this have been removed from sight.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I apologize if my first post in this thread, now deleted, sounded like I advocated getting a fake. I was just a bit shocked that someone here was recommending against 'inspired by' pens in favor of illegal fakes.

Thanks for keeping the forums clean!

Stephane

• 6 months later...

Just ordered mine and really excited about it. I've been using the x750 for a while, but I would love a better grip for something with that bit of heft so this is a real nice idea IMO.

I love snap caps and I am very much looking forward to the knurled grip. A great little knock-around workhorse... I better not jinx it :doh: .

• 5 months later...

Just got my first Jinhao 601 ( Blue color) today ! First impression : a classy pen when compared to a Hero 5020 or a Baoer 388 . The outer appearance of all these 3 pens fools nobody : they are Parker knock-off . The Jinhao 601 is really wellmade , especially the knurled section that many people think being made of plastic . It is really metal ( Just touch it with your lip : it's really cold . Plastic materials feel warmer ) .

It should be noted that this pen now costs almost 3 times more than the Hero 5020 or the Baoer 388 ! It writes smoothy as the other two pens so that's your choice : buy this pen if you like the color , the look or the uniform knurled section :wub: . Otherwise, the Hero 5020 or Baoer 388 will certainly satisfy all your writing need equally well at a third of the price !! :D

post-100406-0-81911500-1362332815.jpg

Hero 5020 (stainless steel cap &body)

baoer388_13_val_full.jpg?resize=1600%2C7

Baoer 388

Edited by jobodine

I am SO delighted to see so many Jinhao and Baoer pens being praised on this forum,they Are good pens and are so cheap you can own a whole collection of them in a short while I have a large collection of them and have always praised them for their affordability,so if you use like them sparingly they will last anyone quite a long time and if there is a pen which you like you can afford more of them such as I do,my favourite is a pen which I had the pleasure of naming when I used to edit for the company,it is The Abalone or the Mother of Pearl pen which is really fabulous, I have 3 of them in my collection. many of their pens are not made these days but they had some great names which can still be bought as they pop up now and then, to get back to reality try a Jinhao or a Baoer ,for the price you wont regret it,Trust Me, Oneill

I am SO delighted to see so many Jinhao and Baoer pens being praised on this forum,they Are good pens and are so cheap ....

Ditto !! The price is just unreal !! I saw the price of only 2.49 $ US for a Baoer 388 on ebay this morning . The pen is well made and last a long time . I have been using one for 3 years now and it still writes very smoothly .

I even changed another to an eye-dropper pen with an O ring as the Baoer 388 has pronounced lips between the grip section and the pen body . No leak so far .... :D

My silver Jinhao 601 just arrived this morning . What's a beauty .... Here it is . (Only 7. $ US on ebay ! ) .

s-l1600.jpg

My silver Jinhao 601 just arrived this morning . What's a beauty .... Here it is . (Only 7. $ US on ebay ! ) .

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

What a Beauty and I don't even have one of these YET,Trust me Oneill

• 1 month later...

Right, so I bought one, and received it :).

What a writer, marvellous!

It writes perfect and smooth right out of the box.

For anyone wanting to buy a pen that 'feels' like it is of somewhat higher quality than the 250 or 450, the

Jinhao 601 is perfect!

You are a very wise man Mr Mekenkamp, I have been promoting Jinhao and Baoer the same maker for years, I have a rather large collection of them,I find that in many cases they are just the smoothest of Nibs and so

very affordable,and any problems you might have with them are easily fixed by posting what your problem is on

the FPN, the members there just love helping,regards Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill

• 2 weeks later...

You can't even buy a Parker Vector for that price. No it's not a real Parker. I see suckers on Ebay paying $30 and up for fake Parker Sonnets, and even more for fake Montblancs. They are branded "Parker" which is trademark infringement.

There is no intellectual property protection for fashion design (whether it's a fountain pen, a dress, a purse, or a car). That's why fancy designer goods often have their trademark plastered all over them. It's tacky but that's the only whey they can get legal protection against copiers. The Jinhao 601 and Baoer 388 are clearly branded Jinhao and Baoer, so they are legal, but to some distasteful.

I like the Jinhao 601, as pointed out the checkered section provides a good grip. I got a Baoer 388 too, it wrote (barely) bone dry, but the body is nice enough I got a Knox nib for it. Both the Baoer and the Jinhao use a standard #5 nib so you have options - but both my Jinhaos write just fine. They also use Chinese/Universal style converters, not the Parker style. The fakes use a copy of the proprietary Parker style nib, and may or may not be compatible with a real one.

Having promoted Jinhao and Baoer made by the same company there has been a problem with some pens drying out, this was caused by the convertors having been exposed to manufacturers oil not being flushed out by Jinhao I think because of the extra cost so give the convertor a really good Flush and finish off with a good rinse in distilled water that should fix the problem if not try another make of convertor.I hope this works,Trust Me, Oneill