Sandy1

One of my favourite blues. Meddler's 'Muddy Water' is one of the earliest ones in my collection.

Hi,

I'm glad you like this ink too!!

It seems I missed Meddler's 'Muddy Water'. (Or perhaps I lost the plot.)

Would you happen to have a sample that may contribute to our inky enjoyment?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• kpyeoman

• wastelanded

• mhosea

Hi,

I'm glad you like this ink too!!

It seems I missed Meddler's 'Muddy Water'. (Or perhaps I lost the plot.)

Would you happen to have a sample that may contribute to our inky enjoyment?

Bye,

S1

I'll see if I can dig up a You Tube link to him singing 'Mannish Boy' if that would help. The version with Edgar Winter is particularly enjoyable.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

This is the appropriate time to ask how much water would be enough to improve the problem of hard starting and nib drying during note taking. Is it a drop per filling? per 5ml sampler?

Hi,

As mentioned, the cause of dry nib tips seems very elusive, and seems dependent on many factors.

But since you ask, I suggest running a range of dilutions to see what's needed under various conditions with a given pen - potentially a tedious process that could be a time waster. Most [dark] inks can easily tolerate 10% dilution without altering the appearance / performance all that much, so with SJBl I'd go too far, then come back: starting with 15%, then 10% and 5%.

Another approach could be to add a whisper of a compatible wetter ink. In this instance, I'd be likely to try 5% Sailor Jentle Sky High.

Fingers crossed!

Bye,

S1

__ __

Dilution - A Rough Guide @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

I also think the colour appears to be similar to JH Bleu Nuit, one of my favorites.

Hi,

To my eye and from my hand SJBL would have trouble impersonating Herbin Bleu Nuit, but let's take a look at two sets of pen+paper combos in common. :)

Parker 45 + XF on HPJ1124.

- SJBl:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sailor%20Jentle%20Blue/INK189_zpse3ba5cd1.jpg

- HBlN:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bleu%20Nuit/12c51a8f.jpg

NNPS + 1.1 on Royal.

- SJBl:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sailor%20Jentle%20Blue/INK192_zps2f696f69.jpg

- HBlN:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bleu%20Nuit/66682a2c.jpg

I purchase HBlN in the 100ml bottles.

Bye,

S1

There are so many of those LE inks I can't even be bothered to keep track of what's what. It's all a bit much.

Inky aromas...coincidentally, this arrived today. After I got the bottlejar open with a pipe wrench and a sheet of foam rubber, the aroma filled my nostrils and I was instantly 8 years old again. I was taken aback with the force of the memories.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/rochemunro/100_0729.jpg

Hi,

As much as the LE inks caused some frustration due to supply-demand imbalance, and the bolus was administered within a narrow timeframe, there were some spectacular inks.

Many thanks for sharing ye olde Sheaffer sidecar bottle. Its even more fun when/if you can get it open without cracking the lip or warping the cap threads. Now you'll want need a Snorkie to confirm that the bottle design is brilliant. (Widget indeed!)

Bye,

S1

Sandy1,

Another fantastic review, and one of my more favorite inks.

I've only used this in two pens, one a Cross with a fine nib, and currently (for the better part of a year) in a TWSBI 700 with an EF nib. I don't recall this giving me issues with nib dryout, (not in the TWSBI, and not as I recall in the Cross). The TWSBI could be a function of the cap, and that once I start writing with this ink, I tend not to stop. I love the way it creates a beautifully thin dark line.

I do have issues with the bottles though. I have a TWSBI inkwell filled with this ink so I don't have to deal with the bottle. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I can fill the TWSBI from the Sailor bottle directly.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words! I hope I didn't maul one of your favourite inks. :rolleyes:

I appreciate reading of your experience with nib tip dry-out - the cause/s are hard to pin down, which makes dealing with that foible potentially frustrating.

It seems that people have a love or hate reaction to filling from bottles with a widget. Perhaps my reaction was conditioned by early use of Parker Penman inks, in that good things happened after charging a pen from a bottle with a widget. The widget in the Sailor Jentle bottles is removable, so going widgetless is an option.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

To my eye and from my hand SJBL would have trouble impersonating Herbin Bleu Nuit, but let's take a look at two sets of pen+paper combos in common. :) Parker 45 + XF on HPJ1124.

- SJBl:http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sailor%20Jentle%20Blue/INK189_zpse3ba5cd1.jpg

- HBlN:http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bleu%20Nuit/12c51a8f.jpgNNPS + 1.1 on Royal.

- SJBl:http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sailor%20Jentle%20Blue/INK192_zps2f696f69.jpg

- HBlN:http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bleu%20Nuit/66682a2c.jpg

I purchase HBlN in the 100ml bottles.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for this! Nice to know I wouldn't be buying a duplicate colour.

Ah, the prospect of going widgetless is a bit enticing, but I think I'd have to still end up tipping the bottle. The insert in the Sailor bottle does raise the level of ink higher than general level, just not enough to bring it to the section end of the feed, where the TWSBI guzzles its ink.

The issue is a combination of the high fill point on the TWSBI and the low level of the drain holes on the widget, at least in the bottle I've got. However, I did see where things sat in my currently empty Penman bottles, and their widget would have no issues in filling the TWSBI. The neck of both bottles is very close in height, but the Penman insert is Narrower, and the drain holes bring the ink level up very near to glass lip, whereas the Sailor is much wider, but the bottom of the drain holes sit 1/2in below the top of the Sailor bottle. Also, there is a slight height advantage to the Penman bottle lip.

I may well move ink from the Sailor bottles to the Penman bottles. I just haven't been able to bring myself to put anything new in the Penman bottles yet. Weird how these things end up with emotional attachments, and those bottles and my old Parkers are probably the strongest I've got in the inanimate object class.

I found your review pretty much spot on, even to the shading. Strangely enough, for whatever reason, that is part of the allure to me where I use this. Somehow, paired to that pen, this combination tends to inspire me towards clarity. If I had one thing to change about this ink, it would be to make it more permanent, though it's no slouch in this department. It's nano sibling is more permanent, but doesn't have the "pinstriping" feel of this ink.

Cheers, and thanks again!

Mike

Many thanks for sharing ye olde Sheaffer sidecar bottle. Its even more fun when/if you can get it open without cracking the lip or warping the cap threads. Now you'll want need a Snorkie to confirm that the bottle design is brilliant. (Widget indeed!)

Indeed, I wish I had saved the empties of the countless bottles of Skrip I went through as a kid. Such a wonderful design, who thought they'd ever stop using it? I own two Snorklers, neither of which works right now (of course!).

I bought this ink mainly for the bottle, but I may well have ignited a fixation for vintage Skrip!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thanks Sandy1 for your usual very thorough & thoughtful review. After I rediscovered fountain pens this was my very first "new" ink.

I continue to like this Sailor ink (though lately I have been mostly using it in cart form), but after reading your fine review, I now know why.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi,

You're welcome!

Its good to know this is one of your regular inks since your return to FP use. Seems that you got lucky by finding such an appealing ink right off.

I suppose now it'll take something truly spectacular to get you onto another ink, especially as MB Midnight Blue was discontinued. *reaches for the tsuki-yo*

Bye,

S1

I have always felt that it should be called Blue-Black, rather than Blue. Like you, I have had trouble getting excited about this ink, but is one of those reliable inks that I keep to judge the behaviour of others by.

If only it came in Penman Sapphire shade of blue ...

Hi,

To my eye, SJBl still has enough vibrancy to be a Dark Blue, rather than a Blue-Black. We see a mob of low-chroma Blues and dark inks which have a Teal aspect posing as BlBk.

I think this is the niche where SJBL fits into my array: not so low-chroma as to be BlBk and not so Indigo-Sapphire as say Diamine Denim or Private Reserve Black Magic Blue.

Even though SJBL doesn't have enough malleability to launch an inky adventure, I am very satisfied with inks that can be used without having to pick & choose pen+paper combos.

(My fling with Lamy Blue continues.)

I'm waiting for Private Reserve to release a water-resistant version of American Blue, then perhaps endless yearning for PPS may diminish ever so slightly. :)

Bye,

S1

My daily ink, best blue in the market IMHO. Thanks for this wonderful review!

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad that you find it so satisfying :thumbup:

Sometimes a 'best' ink isn't one that is suitable for a daily writer.

Bye,

S1

After reading "LagNut's" post, I should add that I also removed the plastic filling contraption from the rather squat Sailor ink bottle.

When I only had Sailor pens with the smaller 14k nibs, the filling device was useful for decanting close to all the ink in the bottles.

But, when I got an Edison Pearl with a physically larger # 6 JoWo nib, I had difficulty filling the pen. The filling cup inside the Sailor bottle is not deep enough to allow the ink to reach the base of the JoWo feed. It appears that the ink is drawn from a hole at the base of this feed.

By removing the plastic filling device, I was able to get deeper into the bottle & successfuly fill my Pearl.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I can just add that this ink did not make it into my collection (other than the one box of Sailor cartridges) because of relatively fast nib dry-out. If it hadn't been for that, I would have liked it.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

After reading "LagNut's" post, I should add that I also removed the plastic filling contraption from the rather squat Sailor ink bottle.

When I only had Sailor pens with the smaller 14k nibs, the filling device was useful for decanting close to all the ink in the bottles.

But, when I got an Edison Pearl with a physically larger # 6 JoWo nib, I had difficulty filling the pen. The filling cup inside the Sailor bottle is not deep enough to allow the ink to reach the base of the JoWo feed. It appears that the ink is drawn from a hole at the base of this feed.

By removing the plastic filling device, I was able to get deeper into the bottle & successfuly fill my Pearl.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your tips & tricks for widget management with specific pens!

FYI I have informed the concerned authorities that Alliston Canada may be the epicentre of an outbreak of widgetlessness.

Bye,

S1

I can just add that this ink did not make it into my collection (other than the one box of Sailor cartridges) because of relatively fast nib dry-out. If it hadn't been for that, I would have liked it.

Hi,

Oh my, too often I do not address the use of an ink in cartridges.

It certainly would be a nuisance to slightly dilute ink that comes packaged in cartridges - completely off-setting the convenience of cartridges.

Bye,

S1

Another excellent review sandy1. I do enjoy this ink and too me it can be a bit of a hard starter. I have it currently in a Izumo with B nib. If you don't mind I have added a pic of the nib with with nib creep and a little of the red sheen. Please let me know if this is alright.

Regards

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n549/pelmanyaar/8C5F9C2E-A0F4-436C-8071-A77A08841ECD-4812-000006697E2EC988_zps7e1e17dc.jpg

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

It certainly would be a nuisance to slightly dilute ink that comes packaged in cartridges - completely off-setting the convenience of cartridges.

In my case it was a matter of tossing in something else to my cart so that isellpens.com would give me free shipping. :)

I prefer bottled ink (unless I'm traveling) because I rotate and use so many pens that I don't want to put in quite that much ink (Sailor cartridges are not small). I've often extracted the remaining ink from a cartridge and transferred it to another pen. How's that for off-setting the convenience of cartridges! :)

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Another excellent review sandy1. I do enjoy this ink and too me it can be a bit of a hard starter. I have it currently in a Izumo with B nib. If you don't mind I have added a pic of the nib with with nib creep and a little of the red sheen. Please let me know if this is alright.

Regards

< snip >

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

Thanks also for sharing your experience with SJBl, especially some of the odd behaviour that crops-up from time to time, such as nib creep! Oh, and the red sheen too - now that's an idiosyncrasy I wouldn't mind seeing now & again. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1