Quenching The Flow Of A Noodler's Konrad

dragos.mocanu

Hello! I've purchased a Noodler's Konrad a while ago, and although it's a great writer (smooth and well balanced in my hand), I find it to be extremely wet. I've tried maximizing the distance between the tip of the feed and the tip of the nib, with no palpable results. I must mention that I've only user Pelikan Blue Black with this pen, which is a rather dry ink. Also, I'm not interested in flex writing with this pen; I enjoy the slight line variation that I get with normal writing, but it is quite enough for me. What else could I do? I haven't modified the feed itself in any way (cutting new channels etc). Thank you. Cheers.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragos.mocanu

• ac12

• CAG_1787

• Seele

I have been told (though haven't tried) that you can block the hole on the back of the feed, thus restricting the ink flow. In fact, as I recall, Nathan Tardiff recommended doing this if you aren't going to flex.

Hmm, yes, this might be a very good idea. Thank you very much, I'll try it.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I did as suggested, but saw no visible results...the pen is still a gusher. Any other ideas?

dragos,

My own Konrad was a little too wet out of the box, but I made the nib tines a bit tighter together, to the point that it can even be considered a touch too tight; it helped immensely and now it is a very well behaved pen. With good-shading inks it makes a thin, light-coloured line without pressure so the line and density variation is quite remarkable, even if not flexing deliberately.

Another point worth looking at is the piston seal. Take the piston assembly out, and apply pure silicone grease between the two O-rings. As an extra assurance I also tend to apply a bit of it to the thread that fixes it into the barrel. I hope this is of some help; good luck.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

@Dragos - This "may" work. It works with my Ahab, I'm almost certain the Konrad is going to be the same:

Try seating the feed further back away from the tip of the nib. The feed and nib are friction fit; just pull them straight out the end of the pen. When you push the feed and nib back into the pen, you can adjust how far the feed goes up the bottom of the nib. This will affect how much ink is exposed to the nib by the feed.

One important thing to note: The nib and feed go into the pen in only one orientation. The pen's section has an indentation to receive the nib. When you start to push the feed and nib back in rotate the pen until you feel the nib and feed moving easily through the indentation.

:yikes: I say don't touch it, a lot people are yearning for such smooth%wet pen (like me) ,instead of ruining perfect combination get another oen or trade with a diry one, or keep it for the future, you might change your ideas.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Mine is "wet enough" but not to wet. I don't often "flex" with it - at least not deliberately. I have actually considered putting a Goulet or some other nib in it in lieu of the one it came with.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

@Dragos - This "may" work. It works with my Ahab, I'm almost certain the Konrad is going to be the same:

Try seating the feed further back away from the tip of the nib. The feed and nib are friction fit; just pull them straight out the end of the pen. When you push the feed and nib back into the pen, you can adjust how far the feed goes up the bottom of the nib. This will affect how much ink is exposed to the nib by the feed.

Dragos, would this possibly work for a pen that was more than "wet" but actually leaks globs of ink? I received a Serwex 101 as a complimentary gift from Fountain Pen Revolution and it leaks copiously. My first idea was to trash it (was free afterall) but then retrieved it from the can and am saving in until I get some ideas about how to fix it. If adjusting the nib to feed distance does not work, what else could I do?

-Thanks, Rob

• 1 year later...

I just inked up my Konrad and ran into this problem.

I have my feed set back so the tip of the feed is about in line with the shoulder of the nib, and still get a rather generous flow of ink that makes my thin lines heavier that I would like.

The ink that I am using is PR DCSS blue.

I want the ability to flex the nib a little, so swapping nibs for a Goulet nib is not an option.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just inked up my Konrad and ran into this problem.

I have my feed set back so the tip of the feed is about in line with the shoulder of the nib, and still get a rather generous flow of ink that makes my thin lines heavier that I would like.

The ink that I am using is PR DCSS blue.

I want the ability to flex the nib a little, so swapping nibs for a Goulet nib is not an option.

It got worse, the pens (Konrad and Nib Creeper) both drool. As I write, a BIG drop of ink drops onto the paper.

I've sidelined both pens until I can figure it out, as I can't use the pens when the pens will drool on me.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com