Making A Pen Case

my63

Thanks Anne-Sophie

Thanks for the good wishes I hope 2019 is a good year for everyone who reads my posts.

As my recovery was going well I started making cases before the end of 2018 so I have some cases to share.

Two round cases of similar sizes for two different customers as ever I started with a flat sheet of kydex. Add a little heat and a piece of dowel to form it around

46524815842_039eb99921_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-49-30 by my0771, on Flickr

After forming the kydex into tubes I started to wrap them in suede this one is orange. It is inside out with a smaller dowel inside ready to be inserted into the tube.

46524822122_b7ec9f72f0_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-50-02 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the emerald green version wrapped.

45662758985_b4172ed212_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-54-29 by my0771, on Flickr

Preparing the outer cover the same for both cases

45662779295_9bb55d3ec2_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-55-40 by my0771, on Flickr

Applying the chocolate dye

46577128531_0d079692fe_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-56-08 by my0771, on Flickr

Before the dye was fully dry I glued the lower section outer cover around the tube.

31636027217_cebb88eb1a_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-56-35 by my0771, on Flickr

Stitching

32703318908_21aa81dc7f_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-57-08 by my0771, on Flickr

Forming the upper cover.

46577140921_f6612e1b70_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-57-51 by my0771, on Flickr

Each case needs a toggle which I shape in the form of a pen rest these are made from two pieces of Panga Panga wood which is quite hard.

45662804315_72df6a1909_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-58-21 by my0771, on Flickr

The top has straight grain and the sides have wavy grain "neat"

32703345458_e4e3826b5e_z.jpg2019-01-02_10-59-01 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for reading

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have followed your work for a long time, you always find a way to add details that make your pieces extra special.

Example the handmade pen rest as part of the pen case closure, it shows ingenuity and artistic zest.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I have followed your work for a long time, you always find a way to add details that make your pieces extra special.

Example the handmade pen rest as part of the pen case closure, it shows ingenuity and artistic zest.

Thanks I appreciate all those who follow my work I especially appreciate those like yourself who take the time to comment.

As for artistic I am not sure about that at all the early versions of that toggle were made from leather but never made it to a case then I made a wooden one. It was basically a rectangle with rounded edges eventually I formed the pen rest version so I would say more like accidental than intentional :D

Work has started on my workshop space with the foundations in place and the timber for the frame is now on site :)

Thanks I appreciate all those who follow my work I especially appreciate those like yourself who take the time to comment.

As for artistic I am not sure about that at all the early versions of that toggle were made from leather but never made it to a case then I made a wooden one. It was basically a rectangle with rounded edges eventually I formed the pen rest version so I would say more like accidental than intentional :D

Work has started on my workshop space with the foundations in place and the timber for the frame is now on site :)

Michael, don't be so modest, talent is talent is talent.

I hope, you will share the progress pictures of the workshop, on your blog!

So exiting!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

There is not much to report on the workshop fron unfortunately the timber for the frame is here and I hope to level the foundations soon.

I need to make more cases to fund the rest of the materials the roof being the most expensive.

Hi Pete.

I want to share this with you because it is all your fault I got interested in leathercrafting. It is your fault I have spent almost $2,000.00 in tools and leather. :P

I finally made a pen case (and field note cover) I am not ashamed to post here.

The leather is orange Buttero, thread is vinymo #5 Vil's Orange fused poly. The lining was from a small piece of salmon leather a friend sent me.

xF82gAf.jpg

Hi Webgeckos

I am sure "Pete" will be along soon (whoever he is) :D :D :D The main reason for sharing my designs and work was to show others how to go about it and encourage them to have a go.

Your work is good I hope this is not your first effort it took me quite a while to get to that standard I hope you are happy I think you should carry on.

If you have only spent $2,000.00 you are doing really well someone I follow on Instagram recently posted she had spent $30,000 learning to leather craft. I am somewhere in the middle although there is no way I am going to work it out :)

Michael

I don't know why I called you Pete :D Apologies :)

No this is my 8th pen case doing wet molding. Long learning curve, you make it look so easy.

Thanks for your kind words! I didn't know you were on IG. I'll look for you there.

@Webgeckos dont worry about it I have been called much worse than Pete :D :D

I like the style of your cases they look really good and different.

I am going to replace all of my moulds once my new workshop is finished and have purchased a band saw for that purpose.

Michael

Michael, how is the weather affecting your workshop progress?

It has been a balmy 10 degrees today the foundations are officially finished. And everything is level and square.

I think the hardest part is done now.

There is an update on my blog my63leather.wordpress.com

It has been a balmy 10 degrees today the foundations are officially finished. And everything is level and square.

I think the hardest part is done now.

There is an update on my blog

my63leather.wordpress.com

This is wonderful! So much team work!

You were lucky to find some construction items at a low price.

It is unbelievable that you are able to do so much after the surgery.

Rain, frost and snow is what I feared for your area.

Fair weather helpers I am afraid as soon as it starts raining or snowing you are on your own. Planning and working in short intervals is key same as with leather work. There is a full update on my blog.

I am plaesed to say my hand is healing well and although there are many issues I have regained some movement in the fingers and can hold a standard sized pen for the first time in many years I am looking forward to using my Parker 51s many of which I have never used. :)

Fair weather helpers I am afraid as soon as it starts raining or snowing you are on your own. Planning and working in short intervals is key same as with leather work. There is a full update on my blog.

I am plaesed to say my hand is healing well and although there are many issues I have regained some movement in the fingers and can hold a standard sized pen for the first time in many years I am looking forward to using my Parker 51s many of which I have never used. :)

So happy that you will be able to use your Parker 51's!

Thanks Anne-Sophie I am please too I think I will need to adapt my writing style again.

Over the last few days I have been making notebook covers

Hobonichi 5 year planner cover.

46054163815_f6918d5b3d_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-03-06 by my0771, on Flickr

Seven seas writer notebook cover.

46054172075_e8fa106d2e_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-03-39 by my0771, on Flickr

Both covers follow the same basic process, I have cut a channel where I want the cover to fold when the notebook is inside.

46243580374_eb3dae4517_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-04-19 by my0771, on Flickr

They are of course very different sizes and although I am using the same dye they are going to be very different colours the Seven seas is going to look rustic and worn where as the Hobo will be a deep dark chocolate.

32027059747_f8e47d8655_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-05-32 by my0771, on Flickr

I don't like to see unfinished leather by that I mean the inside of the skin even when it is finished by the tannery.

40003446483_302e22b984_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-06-59 by my0771, on Flickr

32027079747_df1e3c39c8_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-08-17 by my0771, on Flickr

Making stitching holes

46967958811_6ab95be697_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-07-34 by my0771, on Flickr

Time to stitch the case together

46967975831_fbf9851e5f_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-09-48 by my0771, on Flickr

I have a Seven seas writer notebook so I can do a test fit.

33092706118_51ac542660_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-09-15 by my0771, on Flickr

Final polish and waxed edges

46054221885_44b099b34a_z.jpg2019-02-03_10-10-26 by my0771, on Flickr

Notebook covers finished

63 pages of a remarkable journey. Unless a reader happened upon the few posts quietly mentioning extenuating circumstances, the artisanry stands on its own merit. It's heartwarming to learn the hands creating these genuinely beautiful accessories, can once again enjoy using writing instruments himself.

63 pages of a remarkable journey. Unless a reader happened upon the few posts quietly mentioning extenuating circumstances, the artisanry stands on its own merit. It's heartwarming to learn the hands creating these genuinely beautiful accessories, can once again enjoy using writing instruments himself.

Thanks for your comments they are appreciated I have come a long way since I started leather working and this thread along with it.

The fact that I now accept my disabilities and can talk about them is a big step.

My plans for 2019 include completing my workshop and remaking all of my pen case moulds I still have some ideas that I wish to make and lots of leather bags to restore. Oh and I still have a number of writing slopes to restore, that should take me another 5 years or so :)

Congrats on everything Mike!

Thank you for allowing us the privilege of sharing your artistic and personal journey.

It is a great honor!

Edited by Anne-Sophie

I agree. I am happy to see the workshop coming along and all the new cases. Thank you for sharing.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!