Stories About Trissur Pens

mohan

STORIES ABOUT TRISSUR PENS

HONEST PEN HOSPITAL, TRISSUR.

A rare credit of repairing THREE AND A HALF LAKH pens in a span of more than 70 years. This include pens from various national leaders like Indira Gandhi, APJ Abdul Kalaam, poets like Mahakavi Vailoppilly, Kunjunny Mash and many lawyers and doctors. Not bad, no?

Well, this credit goes to the Honest Pen Hospital, Trissur or simply “Pen hospital” as it is known. Established in 1940, this Pen Hospital have survived the emergence of all modern technology, and still going well.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/10551820873_38838a9160.jpg

20131026_180407 by mohancv, on Flickr

PEN HOSPITAL, TRISUR.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/10551594326_4d6ebbd243.jpg

20131026_180504 by mohancv, on Flickr

CONSULTING TIME.

When compared to Calicut, Trissur pen stories are not as eventful, but equally interesting. Note that the purpose of starting this HOSPITAL was repairing pens and still going on this for purpose ( of course along with sales). And as the hospital well progressed along with the technology of ball pens, gel pens and various others , there was never a hiccough, unlike Calicut pens.

But note that Ebonite pens were made in some part of history, we’ll come to that later.

Probably we can divide the whole period into 3 phases.

Phase 1 – 1940 – 1950 .The Start.

Phase 2 - 1950 – late 1970s . Era of pen production.

Phase 3 – late 1970s to present. Modern era.

ABOUT TRISSUR (TRICHUR)

Those who do not know about Trichur, it’s a city located in the central region of Kerala built around a small hill called Thekkinkadu. It is here the famous Vadakkunnathan temple is situated. Having rich heritage of culture and spirituality, its known as the Cultural capital of Kerala. For outsiders ,Trissur is known for its Trissur Pooram, the most celebrated festival of Kerala.

Phase 1 – 1940 – 1950 .The Start.

Well, coming to the pen stories, it all started with this person, Kaalathodu Kolothu parambil Abdulla.

Though a native of Trissur, from child hood he was working in a pen company in Calcutta. When he wanted to come back Trissur, he decided to start a pen repair centre here.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/10551595616_7705d6363b.jpg

20131026_180526 by mohancv, on Flickr

KKP Abdulla- The founder of Pen Hospital.

Remember, its pen repair shop- not pen production.

Now he started “ HONEST PEN HOSPITAL” or “ Pen Hospital” as it is known in early 1940s. It was located in St.Thomas college road, Trissur.

From that time onwards many patients got admitted, many surgeries ,transplants, IV transfusions have done. As hospital progressed he had some idea of making pens.

Compared to Calicut pen stories , some important differences are here.

1. This shop have no followers or competitors. Its unique and only one of its kind.
  2. The main purpose of starting this shop is for repair of pens , and it’s still going on. The repair not only limited to fountain pens but to any type of pens.
  3. Unlike Calicut pen shops, he progressed himself along with the technologies- he can repair any ball pens, gel pens or highlighter or anything- the sail was rather smooth.

Phase 2 - 1950 – late 1970s . Era of pen making

PEN MAKING

Around ten years after opening the shop he wanted to start making pens.

The “machine “ for pen making was rather interesting. It’s a huge thing made of wood. The only metal part was a “chuck” on with a rod of ebonite is attached. When you push the two pedals situated underneath the chair, the chuck start to turn. Then with a sharp chisel, you shape the pen. For making threads , there is a “chisel with tooths”. It took two to three days to make one pen.

Clearly it was a very primitive mechanism when compared to Calicut pens. Can I call this “ hand leg made pen” instead of handmade pen? Abdulla himself was making these pens along with repair works with out any helpers, so only very little pens were made and surviving examples are a rare thing today.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/10551642164_fa85f6ec7e.jpg

20131028_175316 by mohancv, on Flickr

This is a huge pen produced during late phase.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/10551605546_92864dddfb.jpg

20131028_175342 by mohancv, on Flickr

Compared to a Wality.

At least three or four models of these pens were made(and probably more).Collecting them may be next to impossible because of low volumes produced.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3729/10551580635_5a69e21a63.jpg

20131026_180544 by mohancv, on Flickr

This is a Small pen.

During this phase this shop was shifted to the present building in the Townhall Road. It was in 1959. Pen production continued here up to around middle of 70s.

Phase 3 – late 1970s to present. Modern era.

From around 1970s Abdulla’s son Mr. Nazar, who pursues all his fathers taste, is in charge of this shop. A soft spoken man with great hand skills.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2837/10551576815_67e8e424d0.jpg

20131026_180443 by mohancv, on Flickr

NAZAR at work in his shop.

Mr. Nazar has some unique instruments that he developed for repairing pens and making spare parts for pen. And so his work are very economical to people. He made my 4 Parker 51s to a usable state by changing sacs, smoothening nibs etc,etc.

I always used to wonder how skillfully he takes out a ball from a damaged ball pen nib and putting a new one inside even with out the help of a microscope, that too with in seconds.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7421/10551640894_accd0f1c3d.jpg

20131026_180624 by mohancv, on Flickr

Some of the tools used in Pen Hospital.

For him pens are like children. If you come here with a misused pen (even if it is your pen) he would never be soft spoken any more!

In his opinion if in your hand there is a well tuned and well flowing fountain pen, ideas comes to your mind very easily. That’s why poets prefer fountain pen! And when he says , I believe it.

Next time when your beloved pen gets involved in an accident or requires some major surgery or even a transplant, you know where your ambulance should go!

Thanks for reading,

Mohan.

Edited by mohan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mohan

• hari317

• vp31

• Mesu

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for a great post on Trissur pens. The huge ebonite pen is beautiful.

I recently got a vintage pen which requires the expertise of a skilled person like Mr. Nazar. Will be contacting him soon.

Very easy Hari,

Trissur city is built like a "round".Come to the round, ask somebody for Paramekkavu temple. This is just 150 metre away from temple, near Kalyan kendra.

Very easy Hari,

Trissur city is built like a "round".Come to the round, ask somebody for Paramekkavu temple. This is just 150 metre away from temple, near Kalyan kendra.

Thanks Mohan, on my next visit to Kovai, will spend a weekend at Thrissur...

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the post.

I live in Thrissur and had visited Pen Hospital a few months back.

My Pilot Metro had fallen nib down, when I took it out from my pocket. The nib was bent. He looked at the pen, took out an instrument from his toolbox and gave it back in five seconds. I was very disappointed with the pen (fine nib) before the accident ( scratchy and dry), but after his treatment it writes wonderfully smooth. I use it everyday now. He declined to take any money.

Rajan

Thanks for the post.

My Pilot Metro had fallen nib down, when I took it out from my pocket. The nib was bent. He looked at the pen, took out an instrument from his toolbox and gave it back in five seconds. I was very disappointed with the pen (fine nib) before the accident ( scratchy and dry), but after his treatment it writes wonderfully smooth. I use it everyday now. He declined to take any money.

Rajan

that is really outstanding service!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I think for most of small works(for him,big for we people)he accepts no money.But then I buy some one or two pens for my satisfaction.

Mesu,

You can contact in this number

0487-2331415

Thank you Mohan.

Thanks for the post.

Rajan

Thanks for sharing your experience Rajan.

Mr. Nazar sets the bar quite high.

Fascinating stories! Does the wooden, foot-driven lathe still exist? Is there any chance of getting a photo of it? I'm just trying to imagine the skill necessary to cut matching threads by hand on a lathe with no speed regulation ...

ron

Very sorry ron. Now that thing is dismantled...It occupied a lot of space in their small house.

Attached to this shop there is their home, back to the shop seen in that picture.

Very nice information and photos. It is amazing the kind of work being done with the instruments shown in the photo. Interesting toolbox.

I am also curious about which pen Mr. Nazar himself uses... I can see it poking out of his pocket in the picture, but not able to make out the make or model.

Cheers, Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

Thanks Mohan for this lovely post! Any idea if there is any hospital/ service person of equal expertise in Mumbai? I dont think, for small work on the nib it would be wise to contact Mr.Nazar.

In mumbai I think Mitha pen mart can do many complicated works.

I Chennai, Pratap may be the best person.But for nib works both Nazar and Kim and co are very good.Both people use same techniques for grinding nibs! and still they dont know other!

I don't think these guys would be oblivious of each other for too long - thanks to forums like these!..lol
I remember contacting Dr.Rafi at Kims, I sent him images that you had uploaded of the rounded ends fps in your review. He asked me how did I get his contact, to which I tried telling him that a Mohan had bought these pens and uploaded on a site. He was like "accha wo jahan pe Hari bhi photos dalta hai?"..lol

As for the nib work, its not complicated bt simple job that I need to get done. Like given in this link.

So would prefer someone local in Mumbai for trial. I tried to grind my flex nib that I got from FPR with sandpaper, got a bit finer bt started to cut paper. Somehow managed to get it a little smooth but realised such mods better leave it to experts. Will try to find out abt Mitha Pen mart. Thanks for info:)

But I think if you bought it from FPR, Kevin may be the best person to contact,as his services are excellant.I dont have any direct experiences,but I am sure about his services.

No doubts about his services, esp. v.happy with the flex nibs. I guess I was looking for someone in M'bai itself so probably slipped my mind to contact him for this mod. It would be better idea to contact him:)