Gama Acrylic - Transparent/demonstrator

Sudhir

I had originally posted this as a reply to another post. Someone kindly suggested that I should create a separate post for this. Well, suggestion taken, and thank you.

On my last visit to the Gem shop in Chennai to pick up a Gama Royal, I got into a discussion on Oversize pens - and I was shown this Gama Acrylic clear/see-through pen. Of course, I just had to have it.

Apart from a couple of Wality/Airmail pens with clear barrels, I did not have an Indian ED Demonstrator. This one is beautiful just for the transparent section and the way in which the nib and feed clearly show through.

IMG_8650.JPG

P1020131.JPG

It is approximately the size of a Guider Zimbo and slightly smaller than a Deccan Masterpiece..

P1020133.JPG

P1020132.JPG

P1020134.JPG

P1020136.JPG

Hope you enjoy this.

Cheers,

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sudhir

• hari317

• Taurean

• Mesu

Beautiful pen Sudhir, thanks for sharing.

I'll surely pay Gem and Co. a visit on my next trip to Chennai.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

Beautiful pen Sudhir, thanks for sharing.

I'll surely pay Gem and Co. a visit on my next trip to Chennai.

Thanks and I am sure you will enjoy your visit.

Nice pics Sudhir. Thanks for sharing.

I have one of these and wish the pen was a bit clearer. Any suggestions on how to polish the pen?

Thank you. I too felt it could be polished and maybe it would look better. Not like a TWSBI or similar demonstrator, but definitely clearer than what it is now. But I am a newbie to such things and I really do not know. Maybe someone else in the forum can help?

Cheers,

Sudhir

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Thank you Sudhir.

How does the barrel clarity/quality of this pen compare to say the Wality 71JT or 69TL?

Thanks Hari. The barrel clarity of the Wality/Airmail is much better.

Initially I thought it may be because the Gama was turned from an acrylic rod and the Airmail was injection moulded. But I did not find the tell-tale joint of injection moulding, so I conclude that both of these were turned from acrylic rods. The Airmail seems to have been buffed both inside and outside the barrel which makes it much clearer. The Gama, on the other hand is buffed only on the outside so the inside has the striations. This may be by design, but I am not sure. It does not affect the visibility of the ink level, of course. Same for the cap, but the section seems to be buffed both inside and outside.

I would love to know how these and other pens are are made, so please share any other information you may have.

Cheers,

Sudhir

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

I would love to know how these and other pens are are made, so please share any other information you may have.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/60692-a-visit-to-the-airmail-pen-company-mumbai-india/

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Wow. Awesome. I had missed this, possibly because it is an old post. But WOW.

Cheers,

Sudhir

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Initially I thought it may be because the Gama was turned from an acrylic rod and the Airmail was injection moulded. But I did not find the tell-tale joint of injection moulding, so I conclude that both of these were turned from acrylic rods. The Airmail seems to have been buffed both inside and outside the barrel which makes it much clearer. The Gama, on the other hand is buffed only on the outside so the inside has the striations. This may be by design, but I am not sure. It does not affect the visibility of the ink level, of course. Same for the cap, but the section seems to be buffed both inside and outside.

FWIW, the Wality/Airmail transparent lathe turned acrylic barrels are well finished and offer a much greater value IMO than the other offerings on the market. Wality was the Pioneer in creating the "sheet" pen. The greatest compliment to Wality is when its competitors emulate and try to offer nearly same looking pens...

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi Sudhir ,

Thanks for nice pictures and review ..

How much is the price in INR ?

How is the feed quality ?

And how can I get one of these transparent pens ? I am recsiding in Pune .

Please guide ..

Regards ,

BAAZ

Hi Sudhir ,

Thanks for nice pictures and review ..

How much is the price in INR ?

How is the feed quality ?

And how can I get one of these transparent pens ? I am recsiding in Pune .

Please guide ..

Regards ,

BAAZ

Hi BAAZ

Thanks for your kind comments.

The feed works pretty well. I had some issues with starting and skipping the first time I inked this, but that was my bad - I had not cleaned the pen before inking. Once I disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly and re-inked it, the pen worked just fine. I've subjected the pen to regular use - with a bit of writing everyday - and not to stress tests of any type.

I paid INR 650 for this about 7-8 months ago at Gem & Co. Chennai, so that is where I would try to get one. If you know someone in Chennai, maybe they can drop in and pick one for you.

The other source for Gama pens I know is Mr. Subramaniam of ASAPENS. He is active on FPN and also has a shop on eBay.in. I've not seen this particular model on eBay, but you can check with him. I've had very pleasant dealings with him. No affiliation, I'm just a happy customer.

Of course, this is only as far as I know. There may be other sources for getting Gama pens.

Cheers and good luck.

Sudhir

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

• 9 months later...

Beautiful pen and nice review with great pictures! I was considering buying this pen and your review has helped quite a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful pen and nice review with great pictures! I was considering buying this pen and your review has helped quite a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your kind comments. Hope you enjoy the pen as much as I do.

Cheers

Sudhir

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful Pen indeed. I think if the barrel can be made a little Frosted and buffed from inside then this problem of marks can be solved.

Thanks for the review

Beautiful Pen indeed. I think if the barrel can be made a little Frosted and buffed from inside then this problem of marks can be solved.

Thanks for the review

Thanks for your kind comments. I have now swapped the stock nib with a stub nib that I created myself. Really enjoy using this pen, though it is not in the current rotation.

Cheers

Sudhir

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

• 3 months later...