Hero 329

Nihontochicken

Hero 329 - Not a real review, just a first impression.

I wanted a couple more Parker 51 clones, namely the Hero 616 Jumbo model, to play with, and while ordering on line, noticed the even less expensive also-clone, the Hero 329. So to spread around the the shipping fee, I ordered a couple of those as well, just for giggles. My PayPal payment to Isellpens went in on 2/13, and the pens arrived today (2/15) via Fed Ex. I hate these long shipping waits, don't you know? laugh.gif Anyway, I inked up one of the 329s (marked "FINE LINE" in black paint at the end of the cap, hope that comes off!), and indeed it is a fine nib. To my surprise, this steel nib writes very smoothly, though on the dry side (my old 616 medium nib flows like a fire hose). I'm not in love with the looks of the pen (not bad, but not as nice as the plainer 616, the 329 has a gold plated flat cap tassie a la Parker 75, indented small gold plated barrel tassie, a thin, chrome plated washer between the hood and barrel that comes pre-corroded, and a clip fashioned from a plain bent metal strap with sharp and rough edges), but for five bucks, I can't complain. Well, I can, but no one will listen. tongue.gif So if you happen to be ordering from a Hero seller and need a low cost, fine point pen, and don't care about the looks, add a Hero 329 to your order, will be hard to beat for the money. eureka.gif

Nihonto Chicken

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nihontochicken

• afishhunter

• psfred

• Bristol24

Hmm, must be two models of Hero 329's out there. I've not inked mine yet (I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to reduce the number of pens I have inked), but it has round ends, cap and barrel. Thin metal ring isn't corroded on mine, but it's just a bit off center, and the nib is gold or gold plated. Gold arrow on top marking the nib (quite handy, that).

I also go a Hero 330 -- it appears to be the same pen with a gold plated cap with metal jewel and a Sheaffer school pen style conical end on the barrel.

Another very similar pen I got is a Hero 343 -- matte aluminum barrel and cap with a pretty little scene painted on it. Will go to my niece for birthday or Xmas, it's a bit froofy for me to carry around.

I'm using my 616 in black every day, and my mother is using the burgundy one to write letters with. Very fine, wet writers, some of the best nibs I've got.

Now you're gonna make me ink another pen....

Peter

Edited by psfred

Thanks for the review. I was wondering if I should buy one, but I think I'll just buy another 616. I like the mark on the 329's hood (for a "which way is up?" reference), but it may not be worth it after all.

Hmm, must be two models of Hero 329's out there.

Yup, here is the current model ($4.99 on Isellpens):

http://www.isellpens.com/Images/Hero/HERO%20329%20GREEN%20A1.JPG

Here is the older "Star Trek" model ($9.99 on Isellpens):

http://www.isellpens.com/Images/Hero/HERO%20329%20GREEN%20OLD%201.JPG

(Images from Isellpens web site, no relation, just a happy customer.) smile.gif

Nihonto Chicken

Yah I think there is the 329 Older and Newer model. If memory serves the rounded-endy ones are of the older model. I don't know if they're necessarily older pens: they might still make them. Glad you liked the pen!

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

I have the older model, in that same green color. It's great pen, writes beautifully.

But, it looks kinda thin to me, different from the one on the pic (thinner than the Frontier, say). Is there "ladie's" sized 329?? Or should I get the jumbo model of the 100...

thanx,

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

In China, Hero 616 and Hero 329 are loved by the mass. They are inexpensive pens of high quality, which are two of the best pens under RMB 10 yuan( $1.3). We often buy them by box which contains ten pens and select the best one to use. smile.gif

Duan

Edited by duanshuncn

The pen is mighter than the sword.

QUOTE (duanshuncn @ Feb 16 2007, 05:50 AM)
We often buy them by box which contains ten pens and select the best one to use. smile.gif

The concept of Quality Control seems to be absent from the Hero 329 line. I have three of them and they all arrived in different states of disarray. However, if your willing to fix them up they do make very nice carry anywhere pens. At the price point they go for it isn't a dissaster if one goes astray that you suffer with most other pens mentioned on this forum.

Cleaned up, a little tine adjustment, maybe a little nib polishing, throw in a bottle of ink, makes a great gift to the youth to start them out........

YMMV

Just for fun ...

The Hero 329 Rice Test!

Pen: Hero 329 w/fine (extra-fine?) nib

Ink: Waterman Blue Black

Rice: C&F Foods fancy long grain white

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/nihontochicken/Hero329Rice1.jpg

Okay, not as well done as the example on another thread, operator error in this case. With a steadier hand, it looks as if the Hero 329 is indeed "rice capable". wink.gif

Nihonto Chicken

The nib of the Hero 329 is so thin that it can be used to write Chinese characters on the rice.

Pen: Hero 329 with fine nib

Ink: Parker SuperQuink Black

post-34-1171690911_thumb.gif

Edited by duanshuncn

The pen is mighter than the sword.

Duanshuncn, much nicer than my effort, thanks for better demonstrating the pen's capability. As an aside, I've noticed a number of "best pen value" type of polls on FPN lately, yet few if any include Hero as a choice. I haven't dismantled a 329 yet, and so will reserve judgement, but at around $10 a throw, the 616 has just got to be one of the best current values. Again, I just wish Hero would simply upgrade the 616's materials and finish to 100 levels (crack-prone shell aside). Sigh.

Nihonto Chicken

QUOTE (Nihontochicken @ Feb 17 2007, 08:32 PM)
.... As an aside, I've noticed a number of "best pen value" type of polls on FPN lately, yet few if any include Hero as a choice.

...but at around $10 a throw, the 616 has just got to be one of the best current values.

Again, I just wish Hero would simply upgrade the 616's materials and finish to 100 levels (crack-prone shell aside).

The "value system" of the masses are always interesting to study. As an aside do you always notice how someones request for a "good $25 pen" grows in a thread to a $438 XXX DLUX? laugh.gif

Ditto.

Probably isn't going to happen but Ditto again.

YMMV

I can't even SEE rice grains any more without help, let alone write on them!

Ah, ha, now I see where you're coming from. My "secret" is that I have severe myopia, about seven diopters worth. The one upside is that I can easily focus on something about five inches away. Unfortunately regarding rice writing, my hand is not as sure as my eye. A better example is by Kissing

http://www.shopping-headquarters.com/images/vendors/v6/ancientartofwritingonrice.jpg

on this page

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...topic=24436&hl=

Seems the Hero 237-1 needlepoint nib may be the cost-effective tool of choice for this. wink.gif

Nihonto Chicken

Well, a developing fly in the ointment. I've been carrying the 329 in my pocket for a few days, and after a while in that position, it develops problems in starting, and is very dry and skippy at first. Need to write out a line or two before it settles down to a steady, even flow (if still a bit dry). Guess I'll need to futz with it to try to increase flow. I note that after sitting on its side overnight on the bedstand, it has no start up difficulty, only when carried upright in the pocket. Sigh. sad.gif

Nihonto Chicken

• 4 months later...

If you are handy, you can make it a medium nib. I like to tinker with it. I got a dozen of 329 and they are "doctored" pens. For this price, what to lose?

• 7 months later...

I just bought a dozen Hero 329 pack (the old 'star trek' model) on e-bay for just 40 dollars. The price is just absurd! And the pens are excellent. OK, definately not Parkers, but you don't get 12 fountain pens for $40 every day. I definitely recommend buying them. If you are careful with your stuff generally, it won't fail you. I also love the hooded nibs! So cute! :rolleyes: