The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inexpensive Pen With Nib Capable Of Producing Variable-Width Lines

nib semi-flex inexpensive variable width

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 pokermon

pokermon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:58

One of your questions you asked is if you can put a flexible nib into another pen. The answer is two fold.

1. If it fits with the feed inside the section than sure nothing is stopping you BUT...

2. Alot of flexible nibs from back in the day had feeds that kept up with the flow when the nib is flexed. Most modern pens won't have a nice hard rubber feed with deep ink channels that can keep up with flex and will railroad prematurely compared to the amount of flex the nib is capable of.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!
-Tommy

Sponsored Content

#22 nvx

nvx

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:41

Thank you all for your kind and informative responses. Many of you have warned me that writing with a flexible or even with a semi-flexible nib is not easy. Moreover, I originally intended the pen for everyday writing, which -- apparently -- might not be a good idea for a flex beginner. This is why I have decided (after long deliberation) to first buy several different (semi-)flexible dip pen nibs to actually see what I would be getting myself into.

Anyway, if I like the flex nibs, I will definitely buy a fountain pen with this capability.

nvx

#23 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

They disabled my Account, you can find me on FPGeeks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:13

Hi NVX,
It's your choice, but I think to write as often as possible (daily use) is the key for success.
When you get a nice semi-flex nib you can use it like any other FP you don't have to use its flex capabilities (but you should as often as possible).
The Mods disabled my account, so I can't reply here.
If you want to contact (e.g. regarding the EMF Mod) me please do it on FPGeeks.

#24 nvx

nvx

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:40

Yes, I completely agree.

There is a art supplies shop nearby so if I like the "flex experience", I can start looking for an appropriate fountain pen in -- say -- a week (should be sufficient to get an idea). If I do not like it, however, all the time and energy spent on looking for a pen on eBay or who-knows-where would be for nothing.

nvx

Edited by nvx, 24 October 2013 - 13:40.

#25 pokermon

pokermon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 16:25

Good luck with your flex journey. Should be fun and interesting whether you take the next step or not.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!
-Tommy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, semi-flex, inexpensive, variable width

Sponsored Content

|