The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Pilot Varsity Must Be A Joke

seriously!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 16:13

IMG_7340_zps483065be.jpg

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 23:18

I think you missed it.

#3 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 23:39

I think you missed it.

My post is meant as a joke :). I love the pen and cannot believe that it's so inexpensive!!!

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#4 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 00:08

It's massively overpriced for what it is. The Pilot Parallel, for instance, is the same price and is nearly twice as long. That's fantastic value!

#5 N2theBreach

N2theBreach

Still learning

• Member - Gold

• 913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 00:31

Like a lot of others, I suspect, my first pens were a plastic pack of Varsities. Forget Metropolitans. Forget Safaris. Varsities are the true gateway drug:

Setting: The edge of a dark alley. An unshaved man in dark clothing with hat pulled low over his face. His fingers mottled with the many different inks he is compelled to use every day. He needs money to support his habit.

"Pssst! Hey! Ya wanna try this? It'll write so smooth you'll think you're dreaming. No maintenance. No refilling. Only 3 bucks and you're good to go. If you don't like it, you can just throw it in the trash and walk away. That's all you have to do!"

"<Snicker> And you will never throw it away. But you will spend all your time and money trying to find a pen that writes just a little bit better. You're hooked, sucker! Hooked, I say! Bwaaa ha ha ha!"

Edited by N2theBreach, 19 October 2013 - 00:41.

#6 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 00:40

The Varsity is an amazing pen.  I tried a Platinum Preppy recently because I figured it would be like a Varsity that can take cartridges but boy do you get what you pay for with the platinum.  Should have bought another Varsity instead.

#7 Celerity-dad

Celerity-dad

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 00:51

The Varsity was my first FP. I bought a pack and gave some to my 5 year old son "gasp", now he's hooked on FPs as we'll.
When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

#8 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,882 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:14

And look what it does for your handwriting!

#9 sitnstew

sitnstew

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:34

I got my wife hooked on FPs with a Varsity

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.- Terry Pratchet

hxl1.jpg

#10 Inkydinkydog

Inkydinkydog

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 16:50

Despite having several Lamys and a Noodler's flex pen--all of which are kept inked, I also have Pilot Varsitys in my bag and around the house.  They perform well and if I misplace one, it's not worth fretting about.  

Experimenting with the Varsitys led to my renewed love of fountain pens, which I loved during my teen years but then forgot about for decades until finding these Pilot disposables on Amazon.

#11 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,905 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 21:32

A priest , a minister and a rabbi walk into a bar. The priest pulls a varsity out of his pocket, and starts to write a note. The bartender says, "What is this, some kind of a joke?"

Dan

Edited by DanF, 19 October 2013 - 21:33.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

#12 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 23:04

My wife gives them away to students--third graders.

#13 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 00:30

I always really liked the Pilot V pen fountain pens. I don't use them regularly since I have all sorts of other pens, but they are really great. If you were wondering, the inner cap of the V pen is spring loaded like the Platinum Century pens.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#14 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,547 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:48

They really are an astonishing value. And no worries about cracking with that flexible plastic (as opposed to the Platinum Preppy). I've given away 2 already to friends, and they both love them.

#15 josephchow42

josephchow42

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:20

Lol, that pen is pretty decent, and their quality control is very consistent as well. I used several Hero pens when I was a kid, they sell "non disposable" fountainpens at the same price as the varsity, but the quality is "parfois bon, parfois mauvais"

phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

#16 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 21:20

I gave a Varsity to my mother last week along with a Waterman Expert II. I'm going to ask her which one writes better. Being

that she is new to fountain pens she will have only those two to compare to one another. 

Varsities are truly exceptional. I pretend they don't exist so I can continue to spend money on other pens without feeling like an idiot.

@arts_nibs

#17 josephchow42

josephchow42

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2013 - 18:29

I gave a Varsity to my mother last week along with a Waterman Expert II. I'm going to ask her which one writes better. Being

that she is new to fountain pens she will have only those two to compare to one another. 

Varsities are truly exceptional. I pretend they don't exist so I can continue to spend money on other pens without feeling like an idiot.

well said

phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

#18 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• 1,547 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 19:07

They do have some significant downsides (limited color selection, nibs and body shape) and those $2 do eventually add up. A $24 investment in a cheap refillable and ink of your choice will be cheaper in the long run than varsities and offer a much wider range of options. But for an introduction to FPs they really can't be beat (and I have met at least one person who uses only them - I couldn't do it, but whatever floats your boat).

#19 josephchow42

josephchow42

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:59

They do have some significant downsides (limited color selection, nibs and body shape) and those $2 do eventually add up. A $24 investment in a cheap refillable and ink of your choice will be cheaper in the long run than varsities and offer a much wider range of options. But for an introduction to FPs they really can't be beat (and I have met at least one person who uses only them - I couldn't do it, but whatever floats your boat).

That is not totally true. If you are interested, with some effort you can quite easily refill the pen with whatever ink you want. See this post here. 

phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

#20 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• 1,547 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:24

That is not totally true. If you are interested, with some effort you can quite easily refill the pen with whatever ink you want. See this post here. 

Both the methods of refilling (pull-with-pliers or using water's expansion properties) are significantly inconvenient or run the risk of damaging the pen (or fingers). They're not really refillable, they're hackable (the difference is a big gap in useability that makes refilling it impractical, unless they're the only pen you have for some reason). It's fun to tinker with, but the fact of the matter is that Varsities are not designed to be refillable, we don't recommend them for the ability to refill, and refilling them is not something a newbie should attempt without a lot of warnings and preparation.

Edited by WirsPlm, 28 October 2013 - 21:28.

Sponsored Content

|