The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

So, You Want Shading, Do You?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 dcwaites

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:39

I see you are using dotty paper. Is it CF/Rhodia? The original sample was on Rhodia, I think.

Also drop your humidity to the stage where your hair is sticking up and every time you walk past something metal you get zapped.

As for drama, I can recommend a couple of weeks worth of Neighbours/Home 'n' Away.

Sponsored Content

#102 MKB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:45

I discovered scanning shows the color better than my earlier photos. As you can see, the printing really shows off the shading (even when pushing the nib with my left hand).

Hand writing printing.jpg

Hand writing cursive.jpg

#103 Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:37

Okay, I now have all three original inks and have mixed up a batch according to Masque's ratios 15/3/1.  Here's the promised writing sample:
Also, as requested swipes with a Q-tip of top to bottom:

• Black Swan in Icelandic Glaciers  :)
  • Old Manhattan Blackest Black
  • Noodler's Black.
Please note that the color on the screen isn't as nice as it is in person. The swab looks a little darker in person, but then the paper is whiter too, so once I started messing with the contrast and other tools to try to make the screen close to the actual sample, then the blacks were too intense.  As a result I tweaked the brightness and the color cast to preserve some teal in the swab.  The shading is super nice and very obvious with printing.

Thank you, thank you! I've been off air due to life lately (floods, cyclonic winds, deaths, and other random challenges), saw your message about the swabs when I logged on tonight and came straight on over. The swab really shows the difference between the inks. I appreciate the effort and time you took to get them displayed on screen. Love the writing sample above too. :) Going to save the pic down to my ipad so I can look at it in more detail later.
Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#104 attercop

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2015 - 13:33

Awesome mix! I plan on trying this out when I get the inks. 

Sponsored Content