The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

"the Golden Thread – The Story Of Writing" – New Book By Ewan Clayton

calligraphy western europe roman alphabet history

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Estefa

Estefa

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17

"We are at one of those turning points, for the written word, that come only rarely in human history. We are witnessing the introduction of new writing tools and media. It has only happened twice before as far as the Roman alphabet is concerned – once in a process that was several centuries long when papyrus scrolls gave way to vellum books in late antiquity, and again when Gutenberg invented printing using movable type and change swept over Europe in the course of just one generation […]. Changing times now mean that for a brief period many of the conventions that surround the written word appear fluid; we are free to re-imagine the quality of the relationship we will make with writing, and shape new technologies. How will our choices be informed - how much do we know about the medium's past? What work does writing do for us? What writing tools do we need? Perhaps the first step towards answering these questions is to learn something of how writing got to be the way it is."

I am quoting here the introduction to a book I am very much looking forward to read: "The golden thread" by Ewan Clayton. It sounds so promising and interesting, just about two things I hold very dear - (the history of) reading and writing, written from the perspective of both a calligrapher and designer. So far I just managed to read about 40 pages and it is packed with information and ideas. You can find a short review here on the website of the FT

and more about the author here

I thought maybe some of you may be interested as well.

Stefanie

(I hope this is the right forum, I wasn't sure. But I didn't put it in the book section because it is not "only" about calligraphy – but if it should be moved there I am totally ok with that ;))

I am an illustrator & graphic designer learning calligraphy :: instagram :: blog

Sponsored Content

#2 oknrabata

oknrabata

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:51

Ohhhh, very nice. Thank you!

Just ordered from the UK (wondering again why we're supposed to pay twice as much on German Amazon...).

#3 Estefa

Estefa

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:56

Gern ;)

I am an illustrator & graphic designer learning calligraphy :: instagram :: blog

#4 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:05

I posted about this book in another forum a few days ago when I finished reading it. A really brilliant read and highly recommended. The author was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 a few weeks ago. A fascinating man.  Might still be available on iPlayer for UK listeners.

Link to a review in the Telegraph (UK) http://www.telegraph...ton-review.html

Marie

Verba volant, scripta manent

#5 F104

F104

Lockheed Starfighter, fine point, loaded with JP-4

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:46

Does look interesting, but not available here till next February, and there's no ebook preorder info...

#6 Estefa

Estefa

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:09

Thanks, Marie, for the link to the other review!

Stefanie

#7 shelleybanks

shelleybanks

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:52

This looks very interesting, and well written from snippets in the Telegraph review, like this: “words remembered because of the season they are chanted in, or because they are sung at the point in the year as the rising sun streams through a particular window of the church, or during the frost… or when the swallows are preparing to leave”.

I tried to download a sample from Amazon.co.uk, but it recognized I was an interloper... Guess I'll have to wait till it's released here. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calligraphy, western, europe, roman alphabet, history

Sponsored Content

|