Authenticity Of New Mbs On Ebay?

Cyclopentadiene

Hi all, a question from someone who's relatively new to Mont Blanc pens...

I've been looking at getting a new a pen for a very special event next year and I'm considered getting my first 146 or 149. Obviously the boutique prices are rather heavy, over here in the U.K. at least. Yet on eBay certain sellers with good feedback are selling what they purport to be authentic pens with significant discounts.

My question is - as Montblanc has such a tight noose on prices, could it be possible that truly authentic MBs are available on such sites?

Apologies in advance if this question seems naive, and my thanks for any responses,

Badger

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Wael El-Dasher

• soapytwist

• Cyclopentadiene

Top Posters In This Topic

Montblanc cannot control any of the prices that their pens sell for on ebay.

If you're looking for a 146 or a 149, then you should be able to find a good one for a reasonable price. Be careful that you know every detail to look for before you start, and ensure that the pen is definitely a piston filler. Ask the seller as many questions about it as you need to in order to establish that the pen is authentic

Why not check the classifieds on this board? I have made several purchases of MBs from the classifieds and have not yet been disappointed.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I've found that a cost-effective way to buy on eBay, is to always factor in a MB service (£60) to the buying price. Then whatever you buy (even if it has a broken piston or a crack in the plastic) will come back from MB as virtually a new pen. I've bought 146s for around £60-70 and my modern 149 for £100 (the 149 turned out not to need a service which was a bonus!).

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

if the item is misrepresented, Ebay Protection Plan will get you an adjustment. However, it is possible to deceive without misrepresentation.

1. "Montblanc" is the name of a fountain pen brand. "Mont Blanc" is the name of a mountain, as well as at least one "non-Montblanc" fountain pen.

2. "Meisterstuck" is written with an umlaut. (My computer can apply this punctuation.)

3. Learn the characteristics of the MB model you are buying. An MB 149 is a piston-fill pen, not cartridge.

You are doing the right thing ! Access the experience and opinions of FPN members. They can't guarantee that the pen is genuine, but they know all the redflags. Consider what you are NOT getting for the discount price.

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

At the end it comes down to a couple of important points:

- you want 100% security? Go to an MB-Boutique and pay the full price

- you want high security for a reasonable price? Check the well known internet-sellers and buy it there for a better price

- you want high security and you can live with a used pen? Buy it here in the Classifieds

- you want it as cheap as possible? Check ebay and decide by yourself.

Based on this, at the end it's just one point: the more you know about the product you want to buy, the higher is the security in those places, that do not bring the security by themselves. Sure, you can use buyer protection and all of these things - but do you want to have this action? I wouln't...

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Montblanc cannot control any of the prices that their pens sell for on ebay.

Hmm... a good point.

Why not check the classifieds on this board? I have made several purchases of MBs from the classifieds and have not yet been disappointed.

I'm looking specifically for a brand new pen, I'll keep a look out though. Shame that you cant specify what country your in to make it a little easier.

I've found that a cost-effective way to buy on eBay, is to always factor in a MB service (£60) to the buying price. Then whatever you buy (even if it has a broken piston or a crack in the plastic) will come back from MB as virtually a new pen. I've bought 146s for around £60-70 and my modern 149 for £100 (the 149 turned out not to need a service which was a bonus!).

I had heard that the MB service were pretty keen on replacing parts (in a good way). Perhaps I'm wrong about my insistence on a new pen if that's the case.

if the item is misrepresented, Ebay Protection Plan will get you an adjustment. However, it is possible to deceive without misrepresentation.

1. "Montblanc" is the name of a fountain pen brand. "Mont Blanc" is the name of a mountain, as well as at least one "non-Montblanc" fountain pen.

2. "Meisterstuck" is written with an umlaut. (My computer can apply this punctuation.)

3. Learn the characteristics of the MB model you are buying. An MB 149 is a piston-fill pen, not cartridge.

You are doing the right thing ! Access the experience and opinions of FPN members. They can't guarantee that the pen is genuine, but they know all the redflags. Consider what you are NOT getting for the discount price.

Good hunting.

Interesting that eBay will provide their protection plan on these items. Thanks for pointing out some of the signs to look out for!

At the end it comes down to a couple of important points:

- you want 100% security? Go to an MB-Boutique and pay the full price

- you want high security for a reasonable price? Check the well known internet-sellers and buy it there for a better price

- you want high security and you can live with a used pen? Buy it here in the Classifieds

- you want it as cheap as possible? Check ebay and decide by yourself.

Based on this, at the end it's just one point: the more you know about the product you want to buy, the higher is the security in those places, that do not bring the security by themselves. Sure, you can use buyer protection and all of these things - but do you want to have this action? I wouln't...

Hey Tombstone, could you let me know some of the internet-sellers you mention, any that you'd recommend?

Good point about having to use the buyer protection...

I'll have a look around and consider the options. At some point i'll definitely be getting a 149, just might not necessarily be for a few years :D

Thanks,

Badger

Personally, I avoid eBay for all things Montblanc; it is one of the most, if not the most, faked pen brands around. Strickly my pinion, of course, but I find that the headache, effort, and time required to ensure you're not getting ripped off on eBay is not worth the monetary savings.

I buy directly from the Montblanc online store, which sells all of their non-limited editions, ships quickly, and I don't have to worry about either, the quality or the authenticity of the pen.

Just my rwo cents :)

Personally, I avoid eBay for all things Montblanc; it is one of the most, if not the most, faked pen brands around. Strickly my pinion, of course, but I find that the headache, effort, and time required to ensure you're not getting ripped off on eBay is not worth the monetary savings.

I buy directly from the Montblanc online store, which sells all of their non-limited editions, ships quickly, and I don't have to worry about either, the quality or the authenticity of the pen.

Totally understand this approach, especially with MB pens. Having said that, with used pens it all comes down to the amount of risk you are prepared to take, based on the knowledge you can glean from places like this board. For example, would you buy this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5036567313_8768b11067_d.jpg

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

That's a vintage 1950's 149 or 146 or early 1960's 149. The photo is poor, but certainly there are signs that it's vintage. The ink window is amber and has the appearance of the hand painted strips. The section (where your fingers grip the pen) looks like a vintage 149, but the cap bands are not clear enough to tell whether the two silver rings are actually silver or not. I'd contact the seller and ask for more photos.

My feeling is it's probably early 1960's 149.

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

I forgot to mention, those type of vintage pens are not copied. It's the modern versions that are often copied, and typically easy to figure out if you know what to look for.

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

That's fine if you only want current catalogue items. However, if you want vintage, special or limited editions, then ebay is a good place to shop.

You do have to know what you are doing and watch out for the pitfalls, but at the end of the day, if you do have a problem, ebay is now much better at helping than it used to be, and getting a full refund is never a problem

Edited by Chrissy

This can be a good thing, or sometimes not so good. A highly desirable 1960s 149 sent to Montblanc for reconditioning will likely come back with a brand new one-piece barrel and brass rather than plastic threads. You will still have your wonderful tri-tone 14k nib, but the rest of the pen will now be modern, not vintage. This happened to me. Now I know better. :(

That's exactly what I do, and it's a good mantra to follow