Montblanc cannot control any of the prices that their pens sell for on ebay.
Hmm... a good point.
Why not check the classifieds on this board? I have made several purchases of MBs from the classifieds and have not yet been disappointed.
I'm looking specifically for a brand new pen, I'll keep a look out though. Shame that you cant specify what country your in to make it a little easier.
I've found that a cost-effective way to buy on eBay, is to always factor in a MB service (£60) to the buying price. Then whatever you buy (even if it has a broken piston or a crack in the plastic) will come back from MB as virtually a new pen. I've bought 146s for around £60-70 and my modern 149 for £100 (the 149 turned out not to need a service which was a bonus!).
I had heard that the MB service were pretty keen on replacing parts (in a good way). Perhaps I'm wrong about my insistence on a new pen if that's the case.
if the item is misrepresented, Ebay Protection Plan will get you an adjustment. However, it is possible to deceive without misrepresentation.
1. "Montblanc" is the name of a fountain pen brand. "Mont Blanc" is the name of a mountain, as well as at least one "non-Montblanc" fountain pen.
2. "Meisterstuck" is written with an umlaut. (My computer can apply this punctuation.)
3. Learn the characteristics of the MB model you are buying. An MB 149 is a piston-fill pen, not cartridge.
You are doing the right thing ! Access the experience and opinions of FPN members. They can't guarantee that the pen is genuine, but they know all the redflags. Consider what you are NOT getting for the discount price.
Interesting that eBay will provide their protection plan on these items. Thanks for pointing out some of the signs to look out for!
At the end it comes down to a couple of important points:
- you want 100% security? Go to an MB-Boutique and pay the full price
- you want high security for a reasonable price? Check the well known internet-sellers and buy it there for a better price
- you want high security and you can live with a used pen? Buy it here in the Classifieds
- you want it as cheap as possible? Check ebay and decide by yourself.
Based on this, at the end it's just one point: the more you know about the product you want to buy, the higher is the security in those places, that do not bring the security by themselves. Sure, you can use buyer protection and all of these things - but do you want to have this action? I wouln't...
Hey Tombstone, could you let me know some of the internet-sellers you mention, any that you'd recommend?
Good point about having to use the buyer protection...
I'll have a look around and consider the options. At some point i'll definitely be getting a 149, just might not necessarily be for a few years