The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Two Questions

eyedropper flex platinum noodlers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieTurtle

CharlieTurtle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:07

I have two, unrelated questions, both of which was posed to me today but actually stumped me...

• What is the actual purpose of a flex pen? Is it simply the line variation?

(This was asked by a friend who can actually write nicely, unlike me)

• Is an eyedropper pen a good pen for trying out samples of inks?

(This was asked by my history tutor and I had no clue at all)

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Sponsored Content

#2 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:16

IMAG0324-1_zpsf4b1b645.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to replace the first tutuguan. I didn't realize how atrocious it looked until WO commented on it. Thanks, just the same.

Edited by GClef, 15 October 2013 - 16:15.

#3 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:23

A flex pen also requires skill to use properly...my writing looks nothing like Gclef's...his is beautiful!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#4 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:36

IMAG0323_zps00de15fc.jpg

#5 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:48

An eyedropper pen by nature holds a lot of ink. For trying samples one need clean the whole pen thoroughly before trying another ink. With carts you only need to clean the section, feed and nib. You can do it with both but the eyedropper will take more time.

#6 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:37

Probably the most convenient ink tester is a dip pen. Cleans up instantly, and you can control the flow, line width, and shading.

And to agree with what others have said, the main purpose of flex now is to produce a particular style of writing in which downstrokes are much wider than upstrokes or lateral strokes--for instance copperplate or round hand. There are other kinds of line variation using other kinds of nibs, too.

ron

#7 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:38

1)  I am sure GClef, whose beautiful writing samples enhance many posts here on FPN, gave you some good info about flex nibs in his first post, but on my computer, for some reason, the post is blank (shows a broken picture link,) so I will give you my inexperienced impressions of what a flex nib is for.  I don't yet have a pen with a flex nib but my understanding is that it is for the fun of line variation, plus the nib should slow down the speed of your writing so that you can actually end up improving how you write.  Guess I will find out if I get brave enough to try one of the flex nibs for my dip pens!

2)  I shouldn't think an eyedropper pen would be ideal for testing ink samples - a waste of capacity, for one thing, as sample vials really don't contain all that much ink and won't even begin to fill an eyedropper - plus eyedroppers often mean some extra cleaning.  I would use an eyedropper for a nice big fill of an ink I already enjoyed and "trusted" to write well with my writing style, pen and paper.  I usually buy a sample with a specific pen in mind and test it in that pen; otherwise, testing with an easily cleaned dip pen or cartridge fill pen makes more sense to me than using an eyedropper.

Holly

ETA:  lol - GClef replaced his photo so now I can see his post, and it looks as if your questions have already been answered - it took me too long to post my response.   :D  Hope the repetition helps!   :P

Edited by OakIris, 15 October 2013 - 16:43.

#8 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

They disabled my Account, you can find me on FPGeeks

• Member - Gold

• 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:41

If I want to quickly try out some inks I use a glass dip pen.
Cleaning it is only a tissue wipe away. ;)
The Mods disabled my account, so I can't reply here.
If you want to contact (e.g. regarding the EMF Mod) me please do it on FPGeeks.

#9 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,810 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:01

I love GClef's handwritten replies and comments.

Ditto what Pterodactylus said about dip pens for sampling inks. If I want to test the NIB, though, then I dip the pen's nib into the ink. But to know how the pen writes, I want to fill the pen at least partially, so I'll know how the ink flows through the ink-feed and nib of the pen.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#10 CharlieTurtle

CharlieTurtle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:58

Thank you guys, I passed the info on :)

A question for me (and also that pesky tutor) - would using a flex nib truely help improve your writing? Mine is neat, but it's very round and very plain currently.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

#11 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

They disabled my Account, you can find me on FPGeeks

• Member - Gold

• 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:08

Not per default.
In fact your writing will look most likely less pretty in the beginning until you learned the technique.
They require a light hand, and you have to learn to control the line variation.

But if you keep practicing you will be rewarded by a unique (and IMO very attractive) writing output.

Flex and italic nibs help me a lot to keep motivated improving my writing, as the output is something special which cannot achieved by another writing instrument.
The Mods disabled my account, so I can't reply here.
If you want to contact (e.g. regarding the EMF Mod) me please do it on FPGeeks.

#12 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,548 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 22:12

Flex nibs are fun to use, and also are a great way to learn to keep constant pressure (I didn't realize how my natural handwriting pressure varied until I started using a flex pen). You can get started with a Noodler's Creeper flex pen - they have problems, but you can't beat the price for a flex pen.

#13 barleycorn

barleycorn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 22:30

Thank you guys, I passed the info on :)

A question for me (and also that pesky tutor) - would using a flex nib truely help improve your writing? Mine is neat, but it's very round and very plain currently.

If you are looking to improve your writing technique try an italic nib.  This will force you to think about the angle of the pen and letter forms.  Both these techniques will apply to writing with regular nibs.  If you have a Lamy you only need to pick up a 1.5 italic nib and swap on your pen.  Have a look over at the penmanship page for examples and tutorial info on Italic writing.

If you find a cheap plastic nib holder a #4 or #5 nib will fit or they come as a kit.  These will work to sample ink and just rinse and wipe off.

#14 PrintersDevil

PrintersDevil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2013 - 23:03

IMAG0324-1_zpsf4b1b645.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to replace the first tutuguan. I didn't realize how atrocious it looked until WO commented on it. Thanks, just the same.

Hi,

Can you tell us what pen you are using in this image.

Thanks

Joe

#15 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:21

Hi,

Can you tell us what pen you are using in this image.

Thanks

Joe

IMAG0360_zpsecd16d6a.jpg

IMAG0361_zps7ff340f3.jpg

#16 CharlieTurtle

CharlieTurtle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:26

IMAG0360_zpsecd16d6a.jpg

IMAG0361_zps7ff340f3.jpg

Good Lord you have nice writing and an even nicer pen!

#17 jetsam

jetsam

Thank God my head has two sides

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:05

IMAG0323_zps00de15fc.jpg

Unfortunately, I recently discovered that my natural, right-handed slant to the right produces minimal line variation with my 1.1 italic nib, especially with the long vertical strokes.
The horizontal point width moves along the slant.
For more line variation I have to slant my script to the unnatural left side, so that the ink line is moving at right angles to the point width..... or hope that modern technology comes up with a vertical italic point like some felt pens.
So to achieve maximum italic line variation you either slant your script to the unnatural side, or at least vertically. ( or try a 1.75 point at least )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper, flex, platinum, noodlers

Sponsored Content

|