Eversharp Nib Engraved "flexible"

plumon

I have several Wahl Eversharps, but I had never seen one in which the nib said "flexible". Is this a common nib that I just hadn't seen?

BTW, it is flexible and a good writer.

Any info is very welcome.

post-90324-0-26398600-1381795404_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plumon

• Wahlnut

• Happy Harry

• parapadakis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depending on the vintage WAHL and Eversharp Nibs came in as many or more than 14 different nib choices in each of 4 different sizes of nib. In the 1920's the flexibility or other specialty aspect was not written on each nib. In 1929 each one marked accordingly. In 1927-8 the Signature name was placed on 3 nibs of varying flexibility denoting the middle of the road flexibility and nib tip that was deemed most "average" writers might require. But in 1929 (and thereafter) with the advent of the "Personal Point" where pen buyers and pen dealers could get many differing nib types, the need for names proliferated. So the Gold Seal nibs of that year were labeled with: Flexible (3 widths) Signature (3 widths) Manifold (3 widths), Stub in (2 widths)and Oblique in 2 widths and Ball Point (yes you read that correctly - a Ball Point nib. In the mid 30's The Wahl Company was reverse merged into EVERSHARP Inc, and the nibs were thereafter labeled EVERSHARP (Although for trademark reasons they made some Wahl nibs well into the '40s from time to time). The number of nib choices declined at Eversharp thereafter due in part to the 9 position adjustable nibs obviating the need for separate labeled nibs and the sheer weight of the depression on the Eversharp Piggy Bank.

Too much information!? Ask me what time it is and I will tell you how to build a watch.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

No, it's not too much info. Your input has been very illuminating. It also brings up a couple of other questions: Do you happen to know what year Wahl and Eversharp merged again? Until what year (in the 40's) were the less common types offered? I know, this may be too much to ask . . .

Oops. Almost forgot: Do you have more info on this "Ball Point" nib? It sounds like it could be what we now call a medium round nib.

Thanks again.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to open up an old thread... I also just acquired a 2nd gen Doric Senior, with this "FLEXIBLE" nib, just as the OP. Is it safe to assume that even though it's not marked so, these nibs are 14K gold? or are they plated? Thanks

Gold

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.