The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help With A Calligraphy Sign...

calligraphy tools

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bonny

Bonny

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:58

Its a tradition in my school to hang around posters for a person's birthday.  "H" will be on one sheet of leeter-sized paper, "A" on another, "P", "P", and so on...

So you can imagine that the letters are really large.

I want to do the same, but with calligraphy.  The problem is, I don't have a big enough nib for such a project.  

And suggestions for me fpn?

"But why do you always speak in riddles?"  
"I solve them all."

Sponsored Content

#2 Centopar

Centopar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2013 - 22:24

I'd use a photocopier to enlarge your regular-sized calligraphy - and if you didn't want the banner to be the photocopied version, trace it onto clean paper and fill it in with paint.

#3 Giordana

Giordana

Mmm springiness - sweet!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2013 - 23:10

Personally, I'd use a chiseled-point marker, like a one of those large Sharpies. They resemble oblique nibs, and they are forgiving when it comes to how you hold them. With that, you can do write with an Italic font, or something similar.

#4 Bonny

Bonny

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2013 - 23:38

I'll try both methods

Thank you guys!

"But why do you always speak in riddles?"  
"I solve them all."

#5 Mickey

Mickey

Contemporary Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2013 - 23:51

You might also try the cheap, throw away sponge brushes available at most hardware stores.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

#6 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:03

Another suggestion would be the Pilot Parallel Pen. In the 6.0 mm or 3.8 mm version. They can be had for about $10 from Amazon.

#7 irish_monk

irish_monk

His Holy Dopeness, the Art Pope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:13

Take 2 pencils and put something to act as a spacer between them (like a little pink eraser, another pencil, piece of wood, etc.) Tape them in place (so one pencil is the "left side of the nib" and the other s the "right side of the nib"). Then just hold the pencils at the correct angle for the style and write. You may have to go in with a pencil to connect a few lines.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calligraphy, tools

Sponsored Content

|