Muji Paper And Binder - A Win ...

So I recently had a bit of a splurge at Muji. I have always liked the Japanese multi-ringed binder, especially the B5 size, but the Kokuyo binders at Jet pens are ridiculously priced for a piece of plastic (with plastic rings). The Muji Binders have metal rings and are between 5 and 7 dollars (A4, B5 and A5 sizes.

The Muji paper is really nice too. As far as I can tell it is exactly the same as the Kohuyo paper that is in my Inspiracion notebook. Same colour feel, almost everything (6mm lines instead of 7mm unfortunately). At $6.00 for 200 sheets of B5 or 3c per sheet, it's high compared with Staples Bagasse, but not bad compared with most of JetPens offerings. They also have similarly priced A4 and A5 paper.

So here are a few pics and a review.

post-70823-0-18195200-1381535142_thumb.jpg

On the right is a sample of HP 32lb ultra white paper. Personally I like the off-whiteness of the Muji paper. It's thin (65 or 70 gsm I'd guess, without having problems with showthrough etc. Which I like when I'm using it in a binder. The multiple rings also means that none of them are as likely to get ripped as in a 3 or 2 ring binder.

Back of the paper - no real showthrough. except by virtue of the fact that it ain't 90gsm. No feathering either.

post-70823-0-97335900-1381535518_thumb.jpg

post-70823-0-82637800-1381535678.jpg

Here is the binder itself ...

post-70823-0-03663600-1381535892_thumb.jpg

It's nice.The cover is made of a compressed hard cardboard - probably not infinitely rugged but would last OK in a backpack. They also have a polyprop. version. Could easily be covered with canvas etc for a more rugged finish. Most importantly, the metal rings are definitely well made, open well when tabs are pushed, but not otherwise.

Pens not included obviously.

And here is the entire haul (5 x B5 notebooks, Loose leaf paper,Binder, B5 and A5 Notebook covers (reviewed by others), B5 Separators, Ring bound notebook) ... for $42 including shipping.

post-70823-0-47333300-1381536026_thumb.jpg

Edited by RGH

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluebellrose

• inkypete

• RGH

• manolo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same or similar. Unfortunately I have never come across a Daiso. They don't seem to have many of them in the US (at least on the East coast), and they didn't have one in Adelaide when I lived there (that I came across anyway).

The US Daiso online store appears to be next to useless ... the only things I've ever seen in stock are the usual cutesy, Japanese schoolgirl type stuff.

Those B5 notebooks with cover (top left in your last photo) are my current choice for work. Slim, light, stylish (or so I think), quite good paper, they stay flat on the table, replaceable, not too expensive...I stack two in the cover. The only thing I would like to change would be a wider distance between lines.

A bit of showtrough with my broad-fluent nibs (B, BB, stubs, tuned for heavy flow) but it works quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this! I'd been looking for a less expensive alternative to the A5 & B5 binders I'd been seeing online and had completely forgotten about Muji.

• 4 years later...

I was able to test some of their notebooks in store. So far I've tested the unbleached paper and the recycled paper notebooks. They don't feather or show bleedthough. However their indonesia notebooks showed some feathering and no bleedthough. I tested Parker Quink black and Platinum Blue Black. I had two preppies on me while poking through the mall

Their pocket notebook has the same proprietary size as Kokuyo's field notes.

Could be that Kokuyo is one of their suppliers.

The cream paper colour of their lay flat A5 notebook is also the same as the black cover A5 notebook from Kokuyo.

Local Daiso here starts stocking notebook from Nakabayashi and that Apica lookalike.

Also found the same Muji's 2 section plastic pencil case for half the price in Daiso, same stuff.

Edited by rluka

• 1 month later...

I don't get how their paper can feather and not have bleedthrough. So far the Muji looseleaf has given me feathering using Platinum Blue Black med nib, Parker Quink Black/Auoroa Mix , Platinum Violet Preppy cartridge, Noodler's Green Marine, Platinum Preppy Green. And these inks don't feather on me when I'm using Hilroy/Mead refill paper. So far the only fp ink that hasn't feathered on me yet on this paper is Platinum Black. And that's rather silly considering the 10 cent notebooks I got from staples fared much better. And the 25 cents looseleaf I got from Superstore

• 2 months later...

the Koyoko Color Palette ones are made of plastic and have metal rings at jetpens for 12.75. They are hardcover farbric cover. Muji sells plastic hardcover ones for 7.00 with metal rings. Their recycled cardboard ones are made of metal and paper. When done with the binder, you can just cut out the two sleeves and chuck it in the recycle bin. And the metal steel rings are also recyclable

Big fan of Muji stationery. Use their binders everyday and the paper is consistently good quality and excellent value. I did buy one pack of refills that wasn't up to their usual standard so I am always a little cautious now. I usually go there, buy a packet and go to a coffee shop and try the paper. If it is up to standard I go straight back in and buy a supply. Only had that one problem and as I said I use their stuff everyday.

By the way they also do 2 ring versions of most of their binders.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Big fan of Muji stationery. Use their binders everyday and the paper is consistently good quality and excellent value. I did buy one pack of refills that wasn't up to their usual standard so I am always a little cautious now. I usually go there, buy a packet and go to a coffee shop and try the paper. If it is up to standard I go straight back in and buy a supply. Only had that one problem and as I said I use their stuff everyday.

By the way they also do 2 ring versions of most of their binders.

Their two ring versions aren't worth it considering you can get the same thing from Daiso for 2 dollars. I even found the 2 ring kraft version at Daiso At least for the Muji A4 2 ring binders. The B5 and the A4 plastic ring ones are again not worth it considering Daiso also sells them. The multiple ring ones are the only thing worth it there since it's the cheapest there.

Edited by bluebellrose

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a problem with holes ripping out, if the pages are turned a lot?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Is there a problem with holes ripping out, if the pages are turned a lot?

Thats a risk with any binder refill combo I suppose. Haven't noticed this is any different. Certainly haven't had a problem.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png