Review: Levenger Facets

TheGreatRoe

Levenger Facets - Overall: 7/10

I bought the pen on sale, so instead of $99 I paid $49. At $49 it's a bargain, but for $99 I'd probably wait for a sale.

Appearance: 7/10

The pen is larger than I expected, though not large or oversize. It's 14mm at the widest point of the barrel and between 12 and 13mm at the threads. The resin is quite pretty--an iridescent, smoky swirl of dark reds (for the Oxblood version). The body is hexagonal with a 1/6th twist from end to end which is executed well. The resin is a little too shiny for my tastes, and the hardware is that kind of shiny that makes me think it's chromed plastic or pot metal.

Construction: 7/10

There are highs and lows in this category. Highs: Good weight. The threads where the section goes into the barrel are both metal, so that feels strong. The clip seems tough enough. Cap threads are machined exactly enough that the 1/6 twist stays aligned when the pen is closed, and when posted (if you align the nib and clip)--this makes my OCD happy.

Cons: The threads that hold the cap to barrel are machined in the plastic and give some feedback when closing that hints at so-so machining. And the pen finials and barrel segments have the generic curves that are so common with products made entirely by machine (this may not be true, but it's the impression it gives).

I wouldn't call the construction "cheap" but I also would say it's anything special.

Filling: 7/10

It’s a cartridge converter, so nothing spectacular, but the converter has a nice capacity. I gave it a couple extra points because the section is unthreaded and unadorned--except for a lip--so it's easy to wipe off after filling.

Nib: 7/10

My first nib was a hard starter. But I contacted Levenger and had a replacement in my hand 2 days later. The replacement was better than I expected. It was temperamental with Diamine Oxblood, but with Iroshizuku Yuma-Budo it's wet without being a gusher, and pleasantly smooth. It keeps up with very fast writing. All in all, no complaints with the replacement. I scored this a 7 instead of an 8 taking into account that I needed a replacement.

Test Drive: 7/10

It handles well. It's a good weight, a good length that you could post or not. And it's attractive. Because of the way the light plays off the twisted facets, I find myself rolling it in my hands a lot (you may call this a plus or a minus).

Overall: 7/10

I like the pen. It doesn't blow me away, but it's a fun design and for the price I won't feel the need to be overprotective of it.

http://www.levimage.com/IMAGE/Web/Product/Pen_Ink/Pens/AP12540_TWIST-FACET-FOUNTAIN-PEN_s2.jpg

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• TheGreatRoe

• lalindsay225

• AAAndrew

Is the C/C standard international?

Yes

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Cool! Thanks for the review, I think it's a pretty pen actually. I like the twist. Any idea who makes it and where the nib is from?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Thanks for the review. I missed out on the sale -- maybe someday ...

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Because of posts on FPN, I was able to take advantage of the sale. I really like the Oxblood Facets. I inked it with, what else, Diamine Oxblood. It has been writing with a consistent line. Pen is a little lighter than I expected but it is really a good looking pen.

Thanks for the review.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I have the blue one in rollerball, and I do really like the weight and overall size. I may get the red one as a fountain pen thanks to your review.

• 2 weeks later...

If Levenger uses the same manufacturing facility as they do for the True Writer pens the nib is probably a Schmidt.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

great pen :thumbup:, too bad it ain't a piston filler

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

yes, its a schmidt

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

• 2 months later...

I got one of these as a gift from my wife in late September. It was going to be a Christmas present, but when she opened it she thought it was so beautiful, she wanted to give it to me on the spot.

I love the Oxblood color and was thinking about getting some Diamine Oxblood ink for it, or else Noodler's Red-black. Any opinions?

Mine was also a bit of a hard starter. Played with the tines a little and it seems to work better. The Levenger inks I have, usually very wet, are stingy in this pen. Right now it's filled with Noodler's Green Marine and writes like a dream (hence the possible desire for Red-black).

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. --Niels Bohr (maybe)

I might be crazy, but that sure looks like the Taccia Momenta - a line they retired a couple of years ago. If it is the same pen, great find. I have the Taccia - picked it up used at the Chicago Show last year or the year before. This is a large pen, with good heft. Mine has a broad steel nib and is a great writer. Nice fit and finish and a great writer. Oh, yeah, mine is the oxblood color, too.

• 1 year later...

I took advantage of a Levenger sale for the purchase of a Facet, in olive swirl. Very pretty pen, medium weight at 27 grams, posted and with a small universal cartridge. Very smooth writing, out of the box. Mine has a fine point, which writes a medium line on inexpensive bond, and a better, finer line on good watermarked stationary. The stainless nib is marked Germany, but the pen was made in China. Presume the nib is added when the pen reaches the US. Shipped with a good quality Universal Converter, and a small cartridge, good for testing everything out.

I like the feel of the pen, and it's light enough for extended writing. I also took advantage of a $50 gift card offer, by buying one of their more expensive pens, the Carbon F Oceania, a closeout in deep blue, for $47.96. The Facet was 20% off the regular price of $99, but factor in the $50 gift card, and the 2 pens were $135.11 - $50, or $85.11. For the quality of the 2 pens, I consider that an excellent price, and I'm very happy with the purchase. I have a Levenger store about 50 miles away, and the next time I'm in Boston, I'm going to stop in and shop.

Not the bargain that the Chinese branded pens can be, but I like the screw caps, and the fit and finish of the pens is excellent. Additionally, there is the customer service provided by Levenger, which has always been responsive. I'm content...

• 1 year later...

Looks like they're retiring the line. I was able to get an olive pen with fine nib at $19, 80% off. I got it in the mail today, and it's all that's described above. Nice review. It's bigger than I normally like, but still comfortable.

The twists on mine don't match up when closed, which may be why it was the last of the stock. (they're not on their site anymore) But since the lines in the cap exactly bisect the faces in the barrel, I'm fine with it.

The resin is quite nice with a good depth to it without being outrageously flashy.

Overall, at that price, I couldn't resist and I got a really nice pen.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne