Ballpoint Pens V.s. Fountain Pens

hypro999

Plain and simple, fountain pens provide a combined aesthetic and sensory experience simply not found with any of the other writing implements, at least for me. (If I did use Asian brush pens for calligraphy maybe I'd include them, but not one of my skills).

I like RB because of the way the ink glides out compared to BP; but they do run dry quicker -- or simply dry out if not used! Pencils for sketching or calculating or filling out forms (which can then be photocopied for submission). Pencils and Fisher space pens (or refills) for total dependability and imperviousness to extremes of temperature.

Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hypro999

• cbaytan

• 85AKbN

• GClef

For most of the last year my order of use has been Fountain, and the first few months of the year it was ballpoint then mechanical pencil/rollerball. The past 3-6 months Fountain, Roller, Ballpoint, Mechanical pencil. (just don't need to use the MP very much)

I have a Waterman Hemisphere RB and it is like new although even when new I couldn't get it to write as well as the Parker 45 ballpoint (or any other ballpoint), even with brand new factory refills. With the help/suggestion of a fellow FPN'r I tried the G-2 refill. Now it gets used. The RB & BP get used when a FP isn't practical.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

So now I am fairly convinced that FPs are better but now I only have one thing against them, its about how waterproof they are once my book got wet then I lost many notes! So can someone make a list of Waterproof inks? (Preferably in blue or royal blue).

Find the names of waterproof inks in the appropriate subforum. I am not about to list info for you. :(

Fountain pens provide me a sense of comfort and style which ballpoint pens do not. That said, ballpoint pens are able to write on surfaces that the fountain pen inks just cannot and therefore are useful in that respect. Ballpoints also have less of a maintenance requirement so that is a plus. Finally, a ballpoint in much more easily lent as it can be replaced for pennies on the dollar versus a fountain pen worth many hundreds of dollars. At the end of the day, I'll take a fountain pen but that doesn't mean a ballpoint doesn't have its specific uses.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/oglvvd.gif

So now I am fairly convinced that FPs are better but now I only have one thing against them, its about how waterproof they are once my book got wet then I lost many notes! So can someone make a list of Waterproof inks? (Preferably in blue or royal blue).

Speaking for myself using FP's without permenant inks is pointless, my practical way to find out which permannt inks are avaliable is goulepens' ink property pull down menu (No affiliation etc) .

They are only missing Sailor's two Sei-Boku inks, which blue-black is my favorite blue. Moodler's inks are a true revolution in FP world because they brought so many permany to the FP wrold. Thanks to . mr. Nathan Tardif (No affiliation etc). More of that most Noodler's inks are mixable (except Baystate series)

One more thing, some inks stated as waterproof are not completely waterproof even though they are accepted as waterproof inks such as Rohrer & Klingner Salix ink sheds some color on water soak test, you've gotta check the reviews here before purchase them. But I've never heard a complaint about Noodler's inks are not on par with they are claimed to be wtaer resistant, bulleyproof or even eternal (archival)..

Speaking of my oersınal choices:

Blue: Sailors Sei-Boku (pigmented)

Red: Noodlers red-black =partially waterproof, You can go wtih Fox if you don't mind a bit orange hue.

Purple: Noodlers La Reine Mauve (yummy)

Green Noodlers Bad Green Gator.

Black: Noodlers regular Black

White Noodlrs Whieness of the Whale (White??? it is for lighten up the colors with some fluorescent)

Yellow: Noodlers The year of the Golden Pig (fluorescent highlighter&mixing fun)

All these inks are well flowing and lubricating inks except I add few drops of dishwahing detergent to Sailors Sei Boku

Edited by cbaytan

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

For most of the last year my order of use has been Fountain, and the first few months of the year it was ballpoint then mechanical pencil/rollerball. The past 3-6 months Fountain, Roller, Ballpoint, Mechanical pencil. (just don't need to use the MP very much)

I have a Waterman Hemisphere RB and it is like new although even when new I couldn't get it to write as well as the Parker 45 ballpoint (or any other ballpoint), even with brand new factory refills. With the help/suggestion of a fellow FPN'r I tried the G-2 refill. Now it gets used. The RB & BP get used when a FP isn't practical.

RU, Tell me more about the use of G-2 refills in the RB. Is the RB this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Hemisphere-Roller-Point-Stainless-WAT42004W/dp/B0007M0A2Y

• 5 months later...

Everyone complains that BPs/RBs give cramps and that they are boring and dull. BUT rather, they DON'T give cramps, I can write for 2 hours (e.g. an exam) with a ballpoint pen such as a parker jotter or a flair ezee click which are in some case smoother and more buttery in flow compared to a BP. (95% of BPs in India are REALLY smooth. Then there are RBs, which are just amazing and no-one can really deny that, they are just great smooth and convenient! Fountain pens ARE great but I think that ballpoints and rollarball are also amazing.

Speaking for myself using FP's without permenant inks is pointless, my practical way to find out which permannt inks are avaliable is goulepens' ink property pull down menu (No affiliation etc) .

They are only missing Sailor's two Sei-Boku inks, which blue-black is my favorite blue. Moodler's inks are a true revolution in FP world because they brought so many permany to the FP wrold. Thanks to . mr. Nathan Tardif (No affiliation etc). More of that most Noodler's inks are mixable (except Baystate series)

One more thing, some inks stated as waterproof are not completely waterproof even though they are accepted as waterproof inks such as Rohrer & Klingner Salix ink sheds some color on water soak test, you've gotta check the reviews here before purchase them. But I've never heard a complaint about Noodler's inks are not on par with they are claimed to be wtaer resistant, bulleyproof or even eternal (archival)..

Speaking of my oersınal choices:

Blue: Sailors Sei-Boku (pigmented)

Red: Noodlers red-black =partially waterproof, You can go wtih Fox if you don't mind a bit orange hue.

Purple: Noodlers La Reine Mauve (yummy)

Green Noodlers Bad Green Gator.

Black: Noodlers regular Black

White Noodlrs Whieness of the Whale (White??? it is for lighten up the colors with some fluorescent)

Yellow: Noodlers The year of the Golden Pig (fluorescent highlighter&mixing fun)

All these inks are well flowing and lubricating inks except I add few drops of dishwahing detergent to Sailors Sei Boku

Moodler's ink?! lol. (line three)

Expression :happyberet: and that weird satisfying feeling you get after every written word or scribbled line . . .

despite I have no long been using ball points... fact be told I'm more into using techpoints... slightly different and for techpoints I still use Pilot V7 gel based ink good fun pen with a couple of refills its the only pen that lasted me 4 years with the same body in fact I'd still recommend that pen to anyone who likes a good pen next to Uni-ball's jet stream series

I actually don't mind the cheapo bic fine biros as usually you can write a nice fine line without very much pressure. Despite this I've very large hands and quite quickly start to feel the fact that the biro is very narrow.

Fountain pens when you can get a nice large size are fantastic as I can use very little pressure holding them comfortably and then they require no pressure to write. Also when you find a little flex in some nibs and natural (eg not conscious) line variation in every day writing, I find it very enjoyable. Oh and of course the fact you can keep the same pen you find very comfortable and change ink colours is also great!

Go-to-pen: Custom74/Twsbi 580

Most people use ballpoints instead of fountain pens nowadays. Why? Because they are vastly superior.

Most people watch tv instead of reading books. Why? Because tv is vastly superior.

Most people listen to mp3s instead of uncompressed music. Why? Because they are vastly superior.

Most (western)people consume highly processed food produced in an industrial fashion rather than fresh food produced in a tradition way. Why? Because (bleep) food is vastly superior.

Etc, etc.

As shown, people, as rational beings, always choose the best possible option from any given number of alternatives. Also, the world is constantly evolving due to the technical progress which constantly improves quality of life. This is why new things are always better than old things. No exception.

At least this is what they tell us.

Edited by rochester21

I only use a ballpoint for crosswords (Parker Duofold, black with gold trim) and fountain pens for everything else.

Everyone complains that BPs/RBs give cramps and that they are boring and dull. BUT rather, they DON'T give cramps,

I think that ballpoints and rollarball are also amazing.

They must be amazing, if everyone complains about the fact that they are dull and give cramps. :lol:

I use a fountain pen because it reminds me of a family member, BP reminds me of office/corporate life

+1

I use fountain pens because I inherited an interest in them from my father.

I also find that a typical ballpoint pen requires more pressure to write with than a fountain pen, which makes for a less enjoyable writing experience.

If you want to Blurrr the line between FPs and BPs...

IMG_20140416_124850.jpg

It won't make you sell all your FPs but it will probably make you buy a few more BPs that take that refill...

(In fact, is it just me or is that Itoya Blue pretty dang close to Diamine Asa Blue?)

PetayATX1.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I've never needed to write on any other surface other than paper so that need of BPs are moot. Ever since I picked up FPs not long ago, I've never looked back and never wanted to use a BP since. I note that BPs always gave me a very inconsistent writing style for some reason, perhaps its because I was using cheap ones that came in a box of 12 that were provided by the workplace.

The buttery smoothness of a FP combined with beautiful inks that are never boring made me fall in love with writing all over again. The other advantage of a FP is that I can stare at a beautiful nib if I get bored doing other things. I can also flex and randomly doodle without seeming like I'm losing interest during meetings/conferences.

Plus if somebody peeves me off (warning: this is going to sound so juvenile), I can flick a bit of ink onto their shirts discreetly without them noticing! LOL! This only happened in primary/highschool btw. But its good to know that you have that option!

For me, the only reason I ever use a BP, is when I borrow one from one of the nurses to give to a patient to sign a consent form for a procedure.

The "flick" function of a fountain pen made me laugh soo hard lol

Kinda cheered me up, having a bad day you see.