The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platignum Converter - A Question

platignum studio no 5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Geordielass

Geordielass

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:09

Hi everyone

I posted about my broken No. 5 Studio about a month ago, the end (nipple) had broken off the feed while I was cleaning it.  I bought a NOS pen from ebay just for the nib section, so it's now back in full working condition (it's a damned fine inexpensive pen, by the way).  Having given it a bit more thought, I realised that I probably damaged the nipple when I tried to make it take a long international cartridge - others on FPN have apparently made that work but I wasn't so lucky.  Because of that, I'm now stuck again with Platignum-only cartridges (they do black and they do blue - it makes Parker's cartridge selection look extensive :rolleyes:), as I'm now very wary of anything else - I don't want to have to keep buying new pens just for the section, after all!  After that long-winded preamble, I will finally ask the question I started this thread for:

Does anyone know if the old Platignum converters from their calligraphy sets (from before it went bust and then was resurrected) work in the new fountain pens?

You see, I found this http://www.amazon.co...=A3TTQ7ZHX1X92Y which includes a Platignum converter but, as I say, it appears to be from before the company went into receivership then was bought up by Snopake and relaunched (I think - the set has the old logo, anyway, so I'm assuming so).  My alternative is an ink syringe and a washed out cartridge, but I'd rather have a proper converter if one is available - you can easily pay £5 for a decent converter so I don't mind buying the calligraphy set just for the converter (though if the nibs are semi-decent, I'd probably use the set as well, occasionally) but I'd, obviously, prefer to know that the converter will work before I buy it.

I know it's an obscure question, but if anyone knows, it will be someone on FPN!

Sponsored Content

#2 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2013 - 22:31

I ruined a faber castel converter shuving it in my no4, only works in my no4 now. The new Platignums seem to be standard international (evidance being my studio) but older the no... series seem to be slightly bigger than standard international. What I would do if I liked the pen enough is to buy a Faber Castell or any other standard international converter and use it and accept that will only work in it or other Platignums know.

#3 Geordielass

Geordielass

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:45

I ruined a faber castel converter shuving it in my no4, only works in my no4 now. The new Platignums seem to be standard international (evidance being my studio) but older the no... series seem to be slightly bigger than standard international. What I would do if I liked the pen enough is to buy a Faber Castell or any other standard international converter and use it and accept that will only work in it or other Platignums know.

Mine's was labelled both No.5 and Studio on the packaging, but either way I'm not risking it.  I'm prepared to try something that's actually made by Platignum (going slowly and gently), but short of that, I'll stick to the cartridges (with or without a syringe).  By the way, I've found several posts on FPN that say that the Monteverde Mini is the best fit for Platignums (I think that this is without having to ruin the converter), when it comes to int. std. converters, but, having just got a new section, I just don't feel like taking even that much of a chance, right now.

Thank you for the recommendation, though.  As it happens I have a Faber Castell converter (strangely enough it's in my Faber Castell ;)) but like I say, even though I may come round to the idea of a non-Platignum converter in the long-run, for now I've just bought a whole new pen because I tried an unorthodox solution, so I'll either (carefully) try an old Platignum converter or get an ink syringe (I just hope that a syringe isn't a great way for me to get ink all over my floors :yikes:).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platignum, studio, no 5

Sponsored Content

|