Thinnest Converter

Anyone know where to get a very thin converter? I can't find a good list of diameters. Ideally I'm looking for something in the 6mm range.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• fpconverted

• virgilio

• Jamesbeat

What do you mean, the nipple size to be thinner, the whole converter to be thinner?

I measure my rOtring converter and the nipple size is a bit over 4mm and the widest point on the barel is 6mm...and this is good as standard international.

The Sailor Chalana is the slimmest converter I know of - so slim that its capacity severely limited, but essential to fit in the superslim barrel of the pen. It is like a drinking straw!

I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for however.

In the real world, some of the slimmest converters are the basic Schmidt (K2?) without the metal bands, the Parker plunge-rod converter, the Monteverde Mini and some of the Chinese converters. Not sure what Caran d'Ache put in the Ecridor but that is a very slim pen.

Of course the pen is critical in this. What pen are you trying to fit to?

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Not all converters are compatable. Things like the diameter are determined by the pen it's made to fit for.

What pen are you seeking a converter for?

The Miffy and the nice Uranus D216 (Scotland Pattern) come with standard international converters with a maximum diameter of 5.6mm. I've never seen these cartridges for sale individually, but both pens are cheap enough to even buy them only for their cartridges - you can get three Miffy pens shipped for about 8€ or twelve for 18€. The Uranus is a bit more expensive, but it's a nice, albeit really tiny, fountain pen worth buying, anyway.

Not all cartridge pens are intended to use converters. Which fountain pen is the subject of this inquiry ?

Which ink cartridge fits your pen ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The Sheaffer Slim Converters are about 6mm.

But don't fit into all pens...

Does anyone know where to get one of these? I have an old slim Sheaffer and been looking for a slim convertor to fit inside the barrel. Thanks.

Does anyone know where to get one of these? I have an old slim Sheaffer and been looking for a slim convertor to fit inside the barrel. Thanks.

They were discontinued some time ago so unless you can find someone with New Old Stock you may have to rely on eBay.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I've heard that Sheaffer now supplies the Monteverde mini converters for these pens. A lot of people seem to say that they work.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

If you need a mini converter, these mini squeeze converters work nice in my Stipula Passaporto:

Then there is this ultra mini twist converter that is the same size (about) as a small international cartridge. Unfortunately, it did not work in my Stipula nor my Kaweco Sport.

Anyone know where to get a very thin converter? I can't find a good list of diameters. Ideally I'm looking for something in the 6mm range.

not to get too technical....but also make sure if you decide on a slim convertor, make sure the seal on the bottom also fits the steel nipple as well or you'll get leakage with long term usage.

Not all converters are compatable. Things like the diameter are determined by the pen it's made to fit for.

What pen are you seeking a converter for?

yes also the seal on the bottom of the convertor may also not fit the steel nipple of the nib causing leakage.

best thing to do is to bring it in to your local pen shop...Do you have a local pen shop you can bring the pen to get a custom convertor?

• 3 years later...

Will any of these aforementioned slim converters fit a Cross Spire?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Will any of these aforementioned slim converters fit a Cross Spire?

NO

There is no converter that I know of for the Spire or Classic Century.

However, you could, make a bulb converter out of a used slim cartridge.

That is on my list of stuff to do.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Cross makes two converters, orange and green. The classic (original) Cross Century takes the green one. I got mine directly from Cross.

Replying to the original poster: I don't know much about this topic, but I can tell you that my international size converters have a nipple diameter of 4 mm, and my Parker 21 converters have a nipple diameter of 3/16", or a shade under 5 mm. A converter with a nipple diameter of 6 mm would be quite thick, but if you are measuring the barrel instead, that would indeed be a very thin converter. You probably want to worry about the nipple diameter, unless your pen has an extremely thin barrel.

The old Sheaffer converter that I have is much thicker, but I don't have it to hand to measure it.

You may have to just collect some converters at random, until you find one that will fit.

The international size converters are dirt cheap on amazon, since they are made in China. An aweful lot of pens will take the international size converters, but by no means all, as some of the other posters have noted.

However, you could, make a bulb converter out of a used slim ...

That's a great idea! I have some cartridges for it. Where do I get the bulb to install onto the cartridge once I cut the end off?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator