The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Happened?

leaking odd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:41

I picked up my heretofore reliable Gate City Belmont to do some sketching and as soon as I uncapped it I noticed a big splat of Legal Lapis on my sketchpad. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the cap was full of ink and the reservoir was nearly empty. I checked the position of the plunger and that seemed OK, the nib was securely screwed in place but somehow the ink found its way out of the reservoir and into the cap. I am at a loss for an explanation, It wasn't stored in an excessively hot location, I usually carry and store it cap up but have regularly stored it, inked up, in my pen drawer of left it on my desk top in the horizontal position for several days at a time with no problems. Overall the pen has been extremely reliable, I've never had any starting issues, skipping issues or problems with blobbing in the couple of years I've had it, I was carrying it and using it just a couple of days ago and it was fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this to occur? A front moved through here over night and there may have been a pressure drop but anything severe would usually give me an earache and cause some really nasty popping and whistling in my left ear and that dodn't happen, none of my other pens seems to have been affected either.

Sponsored Content

#2 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:55

If you bought it from Richard, contact him. It does sound as though there was more pressure on the inside of the pen and the ink needed equalisation.

#3 c4bb0ose

c4bb0ose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:00

Ink has come racing out of pens I have had for a few reasons, the first was the feed had to much room compared to the nib and the ink just flowed out like anything, secondly I compromised a sac (punctured it) and the ink just flowed on out like no ones business, thirdly a rubber seal on a piston shrunk and again out came the ink.

I would check and see if the piston is air tight, reseal the rubber parts with silicon and the likes.

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:29

Send it for fix to richard

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaking, odd

Sponsored Content

|