The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Roller Ball Pens And Airplanes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 18:48

Do rollerball pens tend to leak while in an airplane, like real fourntains pens sometime do? 

C.

Sponsored Content

#2 523

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:59

Hello Charles,

I always fly with at least 1 rollerball (Graf von Faber Castell or Montblanc) and have never had a leak. I keep them with me in the cabin never checked in. I have also used them in flight without any problems.

#3 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:01

I have had a roller ball explode on me while flying a small Cessna but never in a pressurized commercial plane.

#4 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:54

Hi,

It really depends, but rollerballs that use a wick to store ink seem to be more unaffected than rollerballs that use liquid ink in a reservoir. I had a professor who liked rollerballs who would routinely get green fingers and blots all over our homework whenever she went traveling on a plane. She used a number of liquid ink rollerballs, and the more empty they were, the more ink they would spit. I also knew a few people who liked Parker rollerballs but would get ink everywhere whenever they flew.

For the most part, the same rules apply to rollerballs and fountain pens. When traveling, try to make sure the pen is nearly full, and point the tip up when the pen is not being used or when altitude changes.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#5 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2013 - 23:29

I have flown numerous times with different MB rollerballs and have never had a problem.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#6 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 00:27

If I remember correctly, the MB rollerballs use the wick type system, so they don't tend to leak, so you don't need to worry about them too much. Interestingly enough, my uncle hates them, so he puts his favorite Japanese roller refill into his MB rollerballs.  :unsure:

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#7 Nek

Nek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2013 - 00:44

I have never had a problem with flying with my Rollerball pens. I never take Fountain pens on my flights though.

#8 sharonspens

sharonspens

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:04

Never had a problem with a RB on a flight. That includes my Visconti EcoRoller, which I will sometimes take along in lieu of flying with an FB.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Sponsored Content

|