In Praise Of Richard And Barbara Binder

Comapedrosa

For context, a few words about me first...

I grew up writing with fountain pens from kindergarten through graduate school... First using Pelikans then mostly Lamys (For math and engineering)... So I know a thing or two about fountain pens and nibs... I have an ok collection including some Montblancs from that time...

Fairly recently I've decided to use fountain pens again at work. So I became first a lurker, then a member here. After much research offline and online - in particular on this forum, I've recently bought a Pelikan M805 in all black. Needless to say that I am totally in love with it!!! That takes us to the topic of this post...

Richard Binder

I had a very bad prior experience with a very established and reputable store in town, which completely ruined a new Kaweco Elite, that I had bought online and simply wanted to be a bit wetter. They still owe me a replacement after approx 6 months!

Decided not to make the same mistake again, I followed the advice read on this forum and ordered the M805 from binderspens. "Binderization" was what attracted me. And indeed, I am so delighted with Richard and Barbara's service that I felt compelled to write this post.

First they sent me exactly the pen I had ordered, with a slightly broad M nib due to Binderization. So I contacted them to replace or fix the nib and make it slightly narrower. They both very kindly responded to my many emails asking for advice (e,g., about ink), and prompted me to include writing samples. As a result, they reground a nib to my EXACT specifications, and sent me back not only the nicest pen, but also the best writer I've ever had!!

In an age of consumerism and mass online orders, where employees at brick-and-mortar stores often have no idea about fountain pens, Richard and Barbara's services are an island of honesty, kindness and simply good craftsmanship!

Thank you!

CP

Edited by Comapedrosa

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Comapedrosa

• inkstainedruth

• sisiay

• Friar Whently

Hi and :W2FPN: (well, your first post..)

Good story. I always like Richard's comments here on the Forum. I thought Richard did not do nib customisations any more but perhaps because you bought the pen with him...

I wonder how this exchange went all from Andorra and back? Any problems with customs and such??

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Richard's site is the basics of fountain pens, and took lots of work.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have bought a lot of pens from Richard - including a custom Torelli P51 recently. He's a no-BS guy and also really good at his craft. 2 pluses in my book.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I took his nib smoothing class at DCSS. Learned a lot in that hour and a half, and he made it fun, not a boring chore, because he's so personable. Anyone who ever considers whether they should take at a pen show or not -- trust me, you should.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Agree with everything above about Richard Binder. Recently ordered a new nib for my Pilot Vanishing Point simply because I wanted it Binderized, and I gotta say I never realized a nib so small (Japanese Fine) could be so smooth. Great service as well.

Between Richard and Goulet Pens (no affiliation with either), I think we're pretty lucky to have companies with such fantastic service.

Great to see that I wasn't alone having such a good experience. I hope this post will serve as a strong reference, and why not, free publicity, for any potential customers.

As for me, I can see how my rediscovered love for fountain pens can quickly lighten my pocketbook :-)

Edited by Comapedrosa

Great to hear. I've just ordered my first nib (An EF for Pilot VP) from them and am eagerly awaiting its arrival, though I'm very worried that it will recalibrate my opinions about all of my other pens/nibs and I will want them all reborn as Binderized.

• 2 weeks later...

"Binderized" pens are highly addictive and way too much fun!!! Recipients just have to keep returning for more. In addition, their website is a such a font of knowledge and indispensible to both newbies and oldies. In addition, just two totally delightful folks to interact with at pen shows. We always learn something when with them!.

I purchased a Gate City New Dunn from Mr. Binder at the Raleigh pen show last spring and it is my BEST writing pen, bar none.

To paraphrase an old Smith Barney commercial:

"Proper writing pens don't walk up, bite you on the bottom, and say we're here.
Smoothing the nibs and correcting the flow takes good old fashioned hard work.
Skilled work. The kind they do at Richard's Pens.
Richard is among a handful of top nib meisters singled out for their excellence in nib tuning.
Richard Binder, he made his reputation the old fashioned way, he earned it."

:)

Enjoy the original commercial:

Edited by NobleDel