The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wahl Eversharp Factory On Roscoe Street (1800 W. Roscoe)

wahl-eversharp history 1800 w. roscoe history keeran patent

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 msvete

msvete

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2013 - 14:13

Hello all,

I currently live at the old Wahl/Eversharp factory building (which is now a condo building) at 1800 W. Roscoe Street in Chicago. I am working together with an active group of volunteers in researching the history of Wahl/Eversharp.  Our goal is to commemorate the history of the company and the people who made-up the company. We are planning to feature photographs, artwork, and displays throughout the building and are planning centennial celebration to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the building.   

We have already identified some amazing photographs (which we are getting permission to use) of the construction of the factory building, almost 100 years ago.  The photographs show the building being constructed using horses and wagons.   We also have a photograph, which shows the bakery next to the factory. We believe this is the bakery which provided food for the striking factory workers.  

I would love to reach out to ANYONE who has a deeper understanding of the history of the company, the people and or the building and would love to connect with anyone who has a personal connection to building.

Regards,

Michael ISyz95vqu0k90j.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:40

As I've mentioned that's were my Father worked from about 1934-'35 until 1948.  Although I was in the building a few times with my Father during the war I don't have any memory of what the building looked like.  This is the first picture I've ever seen of the building. I do remember a couple of things about the inside but nothing vivid.

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,252 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:12

Contact Syd. You will find him at pensburymanor.com

He is also the president and CEO of the new W-E Pen Co.,

wahleversharp.com
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 msvete

msvete

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2013 - 14:26

Thanks farmboy!

#5 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:11

Message sent via email on this subject with powerpoint history slide shows . I've been contacted by 2 a HOA Board member for these lofts too who is working on the centennial of the building. I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#6 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2013 - 17:26

I used to live nearby.  Great idea.

Do you think you could post some of the photographs and other information here?

#7 EversharpFactory

EversharpFactory

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 17:35

Hello.  Michael (msvete), my neighbor and compatriot in the effort to research the history of the Eversharp factory building at 1800 W Roscoe Street in Chicago, mentioned this site years ago, but I'm only now getting around to checking it out myself.  We've made some progress in our efforts over the couple of years since he posted here.  Our goal is to create exhibits in the building that showcase the history of Wahl-Eversharp, the people connected to the company/building, and the impact the factory had on the neighborhood.

I'd love to share information we've learned, and hopefully others here can help answer questions we have.  The info in the various threads in this forum has been really enlightening ,and the details Ted F has posted here and in another thread was great.  I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures here.  Once I can do that, I'll start sharing.

Barry

P.S.  We got to give Syd (Wahlnut) a little tour when he was in town for the pen show.  If anyone else is in the area, I'd be happy to do the same and share stories.  

#8 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 17:49

If you want the absolute latest and most up to date research on Eversharp history, take a look at the posts at Jon Veley's blog: http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/

#9 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 21:37

If you want the absolute latest and most up to date research on Eversharp history, take a look at the posts at Jon Veley's blog: http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/

That site is fantastic. I was especially interested in the part about the Eversharp snake skin green pencils. He indicates no one has seen one. I used to have a half-dozen of more of them and gave them all away to friends and relatives because they were as common as dirt. I only have one alligator and one snake skin pencil left. The snake skin is in the original box.

#10 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2016 - 17:35

BARRY,

I enjoyed our visit to the Pencil Factory.  As you may, at the time, I told Lindsey I would be pleased to lend an original pen sales display case and some pens and ephemera that represented the manufacturing that happened in the 1800 roscoe street building. Please contact me when you are approaching the centennial in 1917.

Syd

Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

#11 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2016 - 17:46

The Wahl Factory as it looked in about 1920

WAHL-EVERSHARP%20FACTORY_zpsusmw9qod.jpg

Pensbury Manor
Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wahl-eversharp history, 1800 w. roscoe, history, keeran, patent

Sponsored Content

|